The Positivity Thread

PokePsych

I just accepted my fellowship awards for graduate school and they’re way more generous than I expected. I can’t believe it’s only 3 months away! My boyfriend and I have been spending so much more time together preparing for being long distance for a while, and he said after he finishes his graduate program (he only has 2 years left) he would love to move up to New York with me ?

• 3 weeks later...

I'm working with an native american tribe this summer and they had a conference on planing and ecology for indigenous people last week.

My coworkers being who they are, I had no choice but to come. Even though sometimes I felt awkward as one of the only white people, it was honestly a life changing experience. I'm now reconsidering how ecologist view the world. Everything in ecology is so centered on competition, and now I'm starting to wonder if that is actually just a reflection on cultural values (ie everything in the west is based on competition, so we have come to understand our environment based on those values) and passing it off as some objective reality.

It's a hard question to grapple with. And I'm sure whatever idea this leads to won't be popular with other ecologists. But I'm excited for this journey, and I'm thankful for everyone at the institute for allowing me to participate!

Edited by Halek

• 2 weeks later...

I have asked two different guys to hang out with me one-on-one in the past week. This is not an accomplishment for most people, but for me it is. I'm not used to putting myself out there in any way. These arent even dates, but how am I supposed to date a guy if I'm scared to express interest in even being his friend?

Just now, Cheshire_Cat said:

I have asked two different guys to hang out with me one-on-one in the past week. This is not an accomplishment for most people, but for me it is. I'm not used to putting myself out there in any way. These arent even dates, but how am I supposed to date a guy if I'm scared to express interest in even being his friend?

This is a great start. Congrats!

I asked a man I am interested in for coffee. He has accepted. but I don't know if he is single... I hope so. (Maybe he thinks my invitation was a friendly one.). 

I pitched an idea to a journal for an article today.

I went to see a free music concert yesterday.

• 2 weeks later...

I wasn't sure if this was positive or venting, but it feels more positive?

I'm finishing "field season" (I ran an REU for an indigenous community for the summer) on saturday and I didn't expect to be this sad to leave? 

While I've missed home and my cat, I've met wonderful people here. While it looks like my professors grants are focused on other areas, I really want to come back here and do research someday.

I finished my first external placement today! I'm happy to be done with the semester, but sorry to leave because of the facility, staff, and patients. One patient cried when I said goodbye to her, so I gave her lots of hugs. ?

Moving day in 9 days now. Trying to turn my relocation depression into excitement. Truthfully I am excited to be a grad student now, but it's hard to leave all of this behind.

But I also haven't packed anything yet ?