Psygeek

The Positivity Thread

On 11/24/2017 at 9:27 PM, Adelaide9216 said:

I am the co-coordinator of a program (we brought 40 students to Parliament Hill so they could shadow a member of parliament or a senator) and it was a success. We came back yesterday evening. I am so relieved because I was a bit anxious that everything would turn out right, but it did. We even had an MP in the House of Commons welcoming us during Question Period (I saw that on my way back to home). So today I had the opportunity to sleep in my bed till 11am to reward myself today hahaha.

Thank you for this thread by the way, I need to focus on positive things these days. 

It is a good answer for me.

I just accepted my fellowship awards for graduate school and they’re way more generous than I expected. I can’t believe it’s only 3 months away! My boyfriend and I have been spending so much more time together preparing for being long distance for a while, and he said after he finishes his graduate program (he only has 2 years left) he would love to move up to New York with me 🥰

2 hours ago, sgaw10 said:

Finished my last ever assignment of undergrad. Feels strange. 

Wow your semester went late!

3 hours ago, ResilientDreams said:

Wow your semester went late!

My school is on the quarter system.

Posted (edited)

I'm working with an native american tribe this summer and they had a conference on planing and ecology for indigenous people last week.

My coworkers being who they are, I had no choice but to come. Even though sometimes I felt awkward as one of the only white people, it was honestly a life changing experience. I'm now reconsidering how ecologist view the world. Everything in ecology is so centered on competition, and now I'm starting to wonder if that is actually just a reflection on cultural values (ie everything in the west is based on competition, so we have come to understand our environment based on those values) and passing it off as some objective reality.

It's a hard question to grapple with. And I'm sure whatever idea this leads to won't be popular with other ecologists. But I'm excited for this journey, and I'm thankful for everyone at the institute for allowing me to participate!

Edited by Halek

I have asked two different guys to hang out with me one-on-one in the past week. This is not an accomplishment for most people, but for me it is. I'm not used to putting myself out there in any way. These arent even dates, but how am I supposed to date a guy if I'm scared to express interest in even being his friend?

Just now, Cheshire_Cat said:

I have asked two different guys to hang out with me one-on-one in the past week. This is not an accomplishment for most people, but for me it is. I'm not used to putting myself out there in any way. These arent even dates, but how am I supposed to date a guy if I'm scared to express interest in even being his friend?

This is a great start. Congrats!

I wasn't sure if this was positive or venting, but it feels more positive?

I'm finishing "field season" (I ran an REU for an indigenous community for the summer) on saturday and I didn't expect to be this sad to leave? 

While I've missed home and my cat, I've met wonderful people here. While it looks like my professors grants are focused on other areas, I really want to come back here and do research someday. 

I've finally translated a book about 3D printers and modern 3D printing technologies into English! Oh, it was incredibly difficult! I had to delve very deep into this topic and learn 3D printing basic before I could start translating. For a girl with a humanitarian mindset, it is a great success! And my customer accepted the result and paid me well!

I'm finally done with an intensive 4-week course that took up all of my free time and made me an overworked zombie! Yay!!!!!!!! Now the rest of my summer will be fine less busy.

Tomorrow I will be awarded with my diploma. I never would have guessed it was so exciting to me! Hopefully, I will enter a Masters degree program this year :)