The Positivity Thread

PokePsych

I've just finished shopping for Valentine's day's dinner, and I'm proud of myself for putting together the menu! It ended up being expensive ($16 a head) but still cheaper than if we'd gone out somewhere with a romantic vibe (most of our dinners out tend to be really cheap hole-in-the-wall places). I don't have the disposable income that my partner has, so it feels good to be able to put effort into making something rather than buying a present. 

The menu is the following: 

• Appetizer: French bread with brie (his favorite cheese) 
  • Main: Seared Italian steak with pesto, parmesan and rocket (we never eat steak) 
  • Side dish: Baked garlic mushrooms with cherry tomatoes
  • Dessert: Plum tarte tatin (he's never had tarte tatin before), with Bailey's icecream (icecream is his favorite food and Bailey's is the only alcohol he drinks!)

@surprise_quiche I SAW BLACK PANTHER AND IT CHANGED MY LIFE!! You're gonna love it, it's mindblowingly amazing. I wish I could see it with fresh eyes again.

On another note, I'm about to go on a huge trip for France's February school vacations. I'm going to Luxembourg tomorrow, then Lisbon, Berlin, and the U.S. for campus visits! I'm going to be exhausted (furthest trip from luxury, since I am merely a broke 22 y-o language assistant who has grown an affinity for Flixbus), but I'm so excited!!!

Edited by madamoiselle

My partner and I have both been accepted at two of the schools we applied to together! Which means now we will be able to make a decision rather than just going to wherever we were both accepted. Also at one of our schools we've each received higher paying fellowships! Now here's to hoping our visits will help us in our decision process.

I accepted an amazing offer and now I'm going on fieldwork this summer and grad school in the fall so I get to leave my crappy job and OMG EVERYTHING IS AMAZING (i'm sick rn so i'm trying to remember the positives which ain't easy when your body's trying to murder itself from the inside out)

When supervisor is like: Let's do idea for paper 1 (redo some messy group experiments from my 1st year) and submit it, 2 (theoretical paper on my thesis), and 3 (random idea I had last week)  - you can be first author on all <3 I feel so accomplished today :)

• 2 weeks later...

As someone returning to academia after two years of mundane work, I am thrilled. My mind is finally being stimulated again. Now, everyday I have the chance to learn something new and inspiring. Also, we have the chance to learn from new people from many international cultures. 

... cannot ask for any more. 

One of my cats doesn't like to be petted for that much time but when he sees me with my laptop, he insists on being the center of attention. He'll walk over the keyboard in front of the screen. Once I close the laptop he doesn't want the attention anymore. It's adorable.