Calling All SLP's!

I got rejected from San Jose State today by e-mail. :( I think my only hope is University of Hawaii...but I don't think I'll hear from them until some time in May (their apps weren't due until April 1st) so I'm going pretty crazy over here lol

I got the same email from SJSU - they said 400 applicants applied for 38 openings.

Just spoke to admissions at Cal. State Fullerton... said file was completed 4/15 (even though it was mailed in January!!!) and now it will be 4-6 weeks before it gets sent to the department! That is the end of May before it will be reviewed by the department! Dumb system in my opinion. Accepting somewhere else for the time being.

Hi everyone,

I was recently accepted to Arizona from the waiting list and I'm kind of unsure of what to do now. I was accepted earlier to SDSU's program and told them that I will be attending (by email only though, I have yet to actually register and pay a deposit). This has kind of thrown me for a loop since I was on a big San Diego kick for the past 3 weeks. I'm interested in foreign language acquisition and speech disorders in bilingual children. I was a Spanish major in undergrad and I always wanted to get involved in bilingual therapy. From SDSU's website it looks like there are about 5 professors in their department that do research in the fields I'm interested in and also there's the option of doing an actual bilingual track in their program. I've only seen one professor from Arizona do research with bilingual individuals but on the other hand I know it's one top rated programs in the country. There's also arguably more diversity in San Diego and more opportunity to work with Spanish-speaking people. So my question is.... do I change it up and commit to Arizona? Anybody have any information about professors at U of A doing bilingual therapy or research with bilinguals?

Thanks!

Hey it's so interesting you did some Tagalog coursework. Are you by chance Filipino? If not then it's so great to see people interested in my country's language. Mabuhay ang mga Pilipino!

Btw I also applied to TC and I haven't received a decision or even the email saying they have made a decision. I'm getting so restless waiting!

Did you get a decision from TC yet ?

What is everyone wearing to the NYU interview day? And does anyone know if TC Columbia does interviews? I hope not because I am from AL and don't want to make two trips to nyc for interview days.

Acceptances: Purdue, University of Georgia, University of Alabama

Interviews: NYU, University of Tennessee, Georgia State University

Rejections: Vanderbilt, UNC-Chapel Hill

Still waiting for: Emerson, TC Columbia, University of Florida, Auburn University, University of South Alabama, Montevallo

Did you get into TC and will you be going?

I have not heard anything yet from TC or NYU. I got a letter from Southern CT State Univ. today. Although a backup school, I am sooooo happy I at least got into one. But NYU and TC are my top schools. I am DYING to know! I didn't get that scholarship email from NYU that a few posters on here posted in the results section. I hope that isn't a bad sign...

What's the word from TC?

To Ivy or not to Ivy?

Any TC applicants out there?

I got into TC and just can't get confidence on the enormous investment that it's going to take to go! It doesn't have the greatest rep around, I've read quite a bit of not-so-great things about the school itself, and also nothing really that positive about the program besides their summer bilingual trips.

On the other hand, the current students I've spoken to all say they decided to go for the ivy name, and that they're glad that they did. They admit the flaws in the program but say that it's still worth it to leave with that name. I want to create a legacy for myself- I know I'll get a job no matter what school I go to, but there's just something about knowing you graduated form any ivy and the extra 20-40K it will cost MAY be worth it!?

Any insight?

Thanks =)

Hi everyone,

I was recently accepted to Arizona from the waiting list and I'm kind of unsure of what to do now. I was accepted earlier to SDSU's program and told them that I will be attending (by email only though, I have yet to actually register and pay a deposit). This has kind of thrown me for a loop since I was on a big San Diego kick for the past 3 weeks. I'm interested in foreign language acquisition and speech disorders in bilingual children. I was a Spanish major in undergrad and I always wanted to get involved in bilingual therapy. From SDSU's website it looks like there are about 5 professors in their department that do research in the fields I'm interested in and also there's the option of doing an actual bilingual track in their program. I've only seen one professor from Arizona do research with bilingual individuals but on the other hand I know it's one top rated programs in the country. There's also arguably more diversity in San Diego and more opportunity to work with Spanish-speaking people. So my question is.... do I change it up and commit to Arizona? Anybody have any information about professors at U of A doing bilingual therapy or research with bilinguals?

Thanks!

I don't know a whole lot about bilingual therapy at UofA, but I can assure you won't have to worry about a lack of diversity/bilingual population.

It is some what easy to decide between two top ranked schools, but what about schools that are not top ranked? I was accepted to Bloomsburg U. and U. Montevallo. How do you decide between the two when there is not a ton of information about either program. Visiting is a good idea, but not financially feasible since its $400/ticket to AL and we, my husband and I, would have to drive to PA (more time consuming than expensive). Both programs cost roughly the same amount. So how do you decide which school to accept?

• 9 months later...

Hi past applicants!

I am currently going through the admission cycle and have received an interview at nyu. I was wondering if any of you knew how many people were offered admissions out of the people who were offered the interview? Just curious as to what my chances are. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Wow, this thread is amazing!

We need to keep this going for the 2011 admissions run. Now word yet from any of my schools:

Boston University

Florida State

Emerson

MGH

UMass Amherst

Ball State

Appalachian State

Ohio State

Northern Arizona

(it's a lot, I know, but I REALLY want to get in somewhere this year.) If things pan out similarily to last year, MGH and Emerson should start sending letters out this week or next week.

Wow, this thread is amazing!

We need to keep this going for the 2011 admissions run. Now word yet from any of my schools:

Boston University

Florida State

Emerson

MGH

UMass Amherst

Ball State

Appalachian State

Ohio State

Northern Arizona

(it's a lot, I know, but I REALLY want to get in somewhere this year.) If things pan out similarily to last year, MGH and Emerson should start sending letters out this week or next week.

Hey FutureSLP! Check out the link below to the forum for the 2011 cycle. It's basically like a CSDCAS support group haha (I'm not sure if you had to use that application system for any of your schools - but it sucked!) Some of the bloggers are beginning to hear back from some schools, so anticipation is high! Come join the fun!

Hey FutureSLP! Check out the link below to the forum for the 2011 cycle. It's basically like a CSDCAS support group haha (I'm not sure if you had to use that application system for any of your schools - but it sucked!) Some of the bloggers are beginning to hear back from some schools, so anticipation is high! Come join the fun!

Thank you so much Jaynes! It's so nice to have a support group right about now!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone! I found out today (by email) that I was accepted into the master's program for Speech Path. at University of North Texas in Denton. I'm definitely accepting the admission (unless I miraculously get accepted at San Jose State). Is anybody else planning on going to North Texas this fall?

I got accepted at UNT on Monday. I plan to attend unless I get accepted my personal dream school (ETSU). E-mail me: rmjones123@gmail.com when you get a chance! It would be perfect to know someone in the program!

CONGRATULATIONS!!

I am so depressed and worried that I will NOT get accepted anywhere!! I have been put on a couple of Wait Lists but that's it. So what do you suggest one does in the meantime if he/she is NOT accepted anywhere?

I would appreciate any suggestions you can provide...thanks!!

I have applied to CSU Fullerton, CSU Northridge, San Diego State Univ., and University of Redlands. I have been admitted to Redlands and CSUF, and wait-listed at SDSU. Haven't heard from CSUN yet.

Has anyone else gotten into Redlands? I am leaning that way and would love a fellow SLP as a possible roommate! ;)

Hey LRB, if you don't get accepted anywhere, I suggest you take the time to find a job in a SLP-related field to sharpen up your resume, re-take your GRE (assuming your scores were not too great), and volunteer / shadow with SLP's and Audiologists and obviously re-apply for the spring / fall admissions period. If you don't mind me asking, what is your GPA (overall and major)? Also, you may want to consider getting new letters of recommendations unless you feel that the professors or people you asked this cycle definitely gave you top notch letters. Good luck! :)

CONGRATULATIONS!!

I am so depressed and worried that I will NOT get accepted anywhere!! I have been put on a couple of Wait Lists but that's it. So what do you suggest one does in the meantime if he/she is NOT accepted anywhere?

I would appreciate any suggestions you can provide...thanks!!

I have applied to CSU Fullerton, CSU Northridge, San Diego State Univ., and University of Redlands. I have been admitted to Redlands and CSUF, and wait-listed at SDSU. Haven't heard from CSUN yet.

Has anyone else gotten into Redlands? I am leaning that way and would love a fellow SLP as a possible roommate! ;)

I got accepted to Redlands as well! It is currently in my top 3 choices out of the 5 schools I have been accepted to but I am struggling to make the final decision.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello All

I have been accepted at the University of Toronto SLP program and the University of Alberta SLP program. I am now trying to decide which school to go to. Does anyone have any info on these programs at these schools? What is the atmosphere in the classroom? what are the clinical opportunities like? What is the caliber of both of these programs? Which is a better school?

• 2 months later...

Northwestern anyone?

Planning on starting this Fall.. hoping to find some friends and roommates. I'll be visiting June 13- June 16 to visit and look at some apartments. Does anyone have suggestions or plans?

I'd love to meet up! :rolleyes: E-mail me at eleenruan@hotmail.com