Harris 2018

Ellen123

4 minutes ago, buff_hamster said:

If it's helpful to know, I got a call that I'm officially an MSCAPP admit with some funding. Got the call about an hour ago.

3 minutes ago, elizabethrs said:

Hey y'all! This is my first time posting here, but I just got a call from Harris and was accepted into the MSCAPP program with some funding! Looking forward to meeting many of you at the admitted students day!

CONGRATS Y'ALL but also ARGHHH this is the worst waiting game ever. Now I'm just hoping they are trying to be courteous by not calling folks living internationally since it's getting late? I need to believe this because the alternative is sad.

7 minutes ago, Policy.Planner.NYC said:

Scholarship awards were also released!

I'm in! but no emails, just that I can check it in the little envelope in the application system. 

where to check the scholarship awards? I haven't seen any mention of it in the Congratulations email; does this mean I've got none?

1 hour ago, yi28 said:

I'm in! but no emails, just that I can check it in the little envelope in the application system. 

where to check the scholarship awards? I haven't seen any mention of it in the Congratulations email; does this mean I've got none?

You need to scroll down to the bottom of the page with the acceptance letter and see if there's a link to scholarship documents on the bottom left side. If you got a scholarship, there should be a link to a second letter.

Is anyone trying to negotiate scholarships with them? Any luck? I was accepted to GWU for a JD as well and was offered a substantial scholarship so I was planning on using that as leverage for now. I won’t have any other offers for MPP/MUP programs until Feb/March when NYU Wagner comes back.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok so here's a (probably kind of dumb) question-- I was just reading this and wondering if schools still match AmeriCorps awards if I've already used that money to pay for my previous education? I'm leaning towards "probably not" but I'm not really sure why not. It would be an extra roughly $11,000, and whether I pay that or designate it directly from the AmeriCorps site seems a little arbitrary. I'm definitely regretting how I spent that money even though at the time I was glad to use it so I don't have to deal with loans currently, but obviously it would have been better to save it for a program that would match it. At the time I just had no idea I would be going back to school and didn't want the period to run out (which, upon reflection, it might have expired anyway at this point).

Has anyone seen any clarification from schools about whether you have to directly allocate that funding in order for it to be matched or if proof of program completion is sufficient?

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/29/2017 at 8:55 AM, Policy.Planner.NYC said:

Is anyone trying to negotiate scholarships with them? Any luck? I was accepted to GWU for a JD as well and was offered a substantial scholarship so I was planning on using that as leverage for now. I won’t have any other offers for MPP/MUP programs until Feb/March when NYU Wagner comes back.

@Policy.Planner.NYC, this might be a late response but I was speaking to an admissions person from the MSCAPP programme (where I applied) and mentioned that I received substantial scholarship offers from other schools. He said that it would only be beneficial if I used those offers to negotiate for funding (I did not get any funding from Chicago). This may only be specific to the MSCAPP programme at Harris, but wanted to share in case others were wondering. He did say, though, that it would be unlikely that I would get anything more than half tuition even if I did negotiate.

On 1/28/2018 at 8:56 AM, jxw said:

@Policy.Planner.NYC, this might be a late response but I was speaking to an admissions person from the MSCAPP programme (where I applied) and mentioned that I received substantial scholarship offers from other schools. He said that it would only be beneficial if I used those offers to negotiate for funding (I did not get any funding from Chicago). This may only be specific to the MSCAPP programme at Harris, but wanted to share in case others were wondering. He did say, though, that it would be unlikely that I would get anything more than half tuition even if I did negotiate.

Thanks - I already was offered funding from Chicago for the MPP but was hoping to negotiate upward. They told me that there’s an appeal form that will go out in March (at least for people already receiving a scholarship). I’m waiting on offers from Berkeley and NYU as well but am pretty set on Chicago so I will likely just use those offers to negotiate. 

4 hours ago, Ellen123 said:

@Policy.Planner.NYC - do you know when in March they are going to send that form? From the email, I had thought it would be before March (and before admitted students weekend).

In the email (which was sent on January 2nd) they said the form would arrive "in the coming weeks." I expected that two mean probably by the end of the month but now I'm thinking maybe after they've released the next admissions decisions. 

I've actually been kind of unimpressed with UChicago's ability to empathize or share information about finances. Neither admissions (who sent that email) nor the MSCAPP director have exact information about the costs of the program (I found what I think is the tuition cost, but I was trying to find out if tuition would be higher for MSCAPP for any reason). The director actually ended up going on a slight rant about how the program is worth the cost of attendance and telling me about an accepted applicant who received a full fellowship because he was from an under-represented country where he would likely be unable to otherwise afford the program. Which was obviously not my concern. I thought it was all kind of bizarre and didn't give me much hope about my ability to afford the program.

On 1/17/2018 at 4:45 PM, yoh_rrg said:

Ok so here's a (probably kind of dumb) question-- I was just reading this and wondering if schools still match AmeriCorps awards if I've already used that money to pay for my previous education? I'm leaning towards "probably not" but I'm not really sure why not. It would be an extra roughly $11,000, and whether I pay that or designate it directly from the AmeriCorps site seems a little arbitrary. I'm definitely regretting how I spent that money even though at the time I was glad to use it so I don't have to deal with loans currently, but obviously it would have been better to save it for a program that would match it. At the time I just had no idea I would be going back to school and didn't want the period to run out (which, upon reflection, it might have expired anyway at this point).

Has anyone seen any clarification from schools about whether you have to directly allocate that funding in order for it to be matched or if proof of program completion is sufficient?

That's a good question - I'd also lean towards "probably not." I was told in my scholarship letter that it included the AmeriCorps award match - mine was a random amount, like $3750 or so, and they just gave me an even number scholarship that I probably would have gotten without the match - here's their wording: "Students receiving a Segal, Truman, or other match are receiving that as part of their overall merit award, which is the amount reflected in this letter."

I think you could probably contact Harris to ask about that, and possibly negotiate a higher award. Hope it works!

Has anyone heard how much larger this Harris class is supposed to be than previous years? I remember hearing it on a campus tour and thinking that internships/policy-related positions in Chicago would be that much more competitive, as most grads remain in Chicago. Anybody else have those thoughts or think them unfounded?

I applied for the round 1 deadline this year and till the very end kept flipping between MSCAPP and MPP as my first option. Ultimately chose MPP as I am not too strong with coding anyway.

Any idea how competitive converting to a PhD would be, once you are enrolled to the Masters?

18 minutes ago, VeryCheesey said:

I received a fee waiver, but that was because Chicago has a new program called "A Hundred Indians" to increase enrollment of Indian students in the Master's programs, and I was nominated to it by some faculty members. Merit based waiver is great! I've heard from seniors though that Chicago is quite open to fee waivers if requested well in time.

That’s great. I had received a small offer from Chicago and a larger offer from Columbia. Was planning not to write to Chicago. Now this has inspired me to write!??

18 hours ago, elizabethrs said:

That's a good question - I'd also lean towards "probably not." I was told in my scholarship letter that it included the AmeriCorps award match - mine was a random amount, like $3750 or so, and they just gave me an even number scholarship that I probably would have gotten without the match - here's their wording: "Students receiving a Segal, Truman, or other match are receiving that as part of their overall merit award, which is the amount reflected in this letter."

I think you could probably contact Harris to ask about that, and possibly negotiate a higher award. Hope it works!

Wow that seems like kind of a cop out-- and since I haven't seen anyone state that they received $6250 in aid it seems like everyone who is offered aid receives the same regardless of status as an AmeriCorps applicant. I wish there were some kind of accountability for what schools claim in efforts to draw applicants and what they actually do in the end.