Boren 2018-2019

malubra

6 minutes ago, Cheshirecaitt said:

I'd like to know as well....we are in the same boat it seems.

Mind if I ask how long you were going to study in Japan for? I have a feeling I might have gotten bumped because I only was going for a summer. 

So it looks like I'm an alternate for China! Obviously not what I'd hoped for, but it's better than getting declined outright, at least. Does anyone know how frequently Boren finalists drop out? I know it depends on a number of factors that can't be predicted 100%, but I'm curious if any past alternates who became finalists or didn't could weigh in.

Edited by MatthewJJ

7 minutes ago, Cheshirecaitt said:

No worries, life will work out some way or another :)

I've also applied to like 3 other scholarships, so hopefully one of those pulls through

That's me lol. I got a hefty school scholarship but I'm still quite a bit in the hole for how much the program costs (and flying to Japan). I might not have even accepted anyway because of the service requirement so! Better for those who really needed it ^^

Things really do happen for a reason though, I'm sure one of the other scholarships will be the right one for you 

7 minutes ago, sleepyficteer said:

That's me lol. I got a hefty school scholarship but I'm still quite a bit in the hole for how much the program costs (and flying to Japan). I might not have even accepted anyway because of the service requirement so! Better for those who really needed it ^^

Things really do happen for a reason though, I'm sure one of the other scholarships will be the right one for you 

Yeah, I have 3 other scholarships I could potentially get.

I don't really get any aid normally, and this was a long shot, but it won't deter my goals.

Have a fantastic time in Japan!! We probably won't be there around the same time.

Edited by Cheshirecaitt

Congratulations to our finalists! And for those of you who didn't get it, I hope you can still find the means to study abroad. Applying for the Boren and making it this far is an achievement in itself.

I almost wish I wasn't an alternate, because the waiting and endless hoping that someone in an East Asian program will drop out between now and August is going to be more unbearable than the wait after submitting my application.

Edited by MatthewJJ

Hi, all!

Congrats all, whether you were accepted or not! Something new and fun is around the corner, regardless.

I'm an alternate for AFLI/Senegal/French. Accepted AFLI-ers, would you mind sharing what date they listed for when you had to accept/reject?

Thanks!

Edited by viktorria

Alternate for IFLI here. I do know that they have to accept or decline the award by May 1st. The program starts in Madison around June 18th. One would imagine in this instance that Boren would notify a final status by mid May, but that is just a guess on my part. And I'm sure it all depends on where a person is on the waitlist. It's nice to be an alternate but it adds a lot of uncertainty to the process.

Rejected. Finally off this wild ride. This was going to be an amazing opportunity to get my foot in the federal door. I guess my essay wasnt up to standards but my campus rep sure did. Even though they didn't know jack about the essay topics until I had to show them.

Better to blame them than myself <_<

22 minutes ago, malubra said:

For anyone who is a alternate

My advisor just emailed me and he said that the Boren has a high drop rate because of funding so keep hope!

I know the person at my school that got it last year was also an alternate so its possible

I appreciate that.

I know that a lot of people apply to Boren and Fulbright together. This year a lot of people mentioned CLS too. I wonder how high the drop rate would really be for something like IFLI when it's a new flagship program. I feel like more people would say yes.