Boren 2018-2019

malubra

4 hours ago, vxw15003 said:

Just out of curiosity, have any alternates heard back anything?

Alternate here for one of the FLI's.  It's too early to hear anything yet, unfortunately.  Students accept or decline offers this week.  I asked around to others who had been alternates and they were saying that notification occurred around late May.  I was hoping for mid-May, but hey, here we are.  I'm sure it varies by program and what rank the student is on the list.  Truthfully there is no way of knowing.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/1/2018 at 11:07 PM, viktorria said:

Hi friends,

I'm an AFLI alternate and I got an e-mail yesterday asking me to confirm my dates/budget/ability to attend the summer session. Trying to keep my cool :wacko:^_^:unsure::ph34r::(:huh::lol::wacko:. Hope all of you hear something soon.

Hear anything back? :)

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Ariy said:

Now that a little bit of time has elapsed, have any of the alternates (any country, any program) heard anything?

Nope I've heard nothing yet and I'm a scholarship applicant. I was told that alternates are usually notified all through the summer up until November when they stop funding alternates.

2 hours ago, woshimeiguoren said:

Nope I've heard nothing yet and I'm a scholarship applicant. I was told that alternates are usually notified all through the summer up until November when they stop funding alternates.

I noticed that in the email.  I had applied to one of the FLI's though so I am assuming that if I didn't hear by late May then... ?

12 hours ago, Ariy said:

I noticed that in the email.  I had applied to one of the FLI's though so I am assuming that if I didn't hear by late May then... ?

I was told that "If you were an alternate for one of the initiatives, (AFLI, SAFLI, IFLI), you wouldn't be called up after the summer session starts in June". Also I feel like it's a bit weird that they would notify alternates AFTER the convocation in June. They've already awarded all the finalists so why would they give the award after the meeting...it just seems strange. Am I the only one?

Edited by woshimeiguoren

1 hour ago, woshimeiguoren said:

I was told that "If you were an alternate for one of the initiatives, (AFLI, SAFLI, IFLI), you wouldn't be called up after the summer session starts in June". Also I feel like it's a bit weird that they would notify alternates AFTER the convocation in June. They've already awarded all the finalists so why would they give the award after the meeting...it just seems strange. Am I the only one?

That is what I was trying to understand as well. By then, wouldn't all of the slots be filled? 

53 minutes ago, Ariy said:

That is what I was trying to understand as well. By then, wouldn't all of the slots be filled? 

I imagine so, but I also know that there still is the Spring of 2019, so it could be that they will only notify spring 2019 alternates which would make sense. I was also told that alternates would still be able to go to the convocation if they were notified in enough time (that they received the scholarship) and if there was room available. 

Major lurker here, happened to check this thread today and thought I'd share.

I was an alternate for the SAFLI fellowship, and I got a response back the day after people were supposed to make decisions, I think May 1st or 2nd. Note, this is only my experience with the SAFLI fellowship program, not the scholarship. Since they got back to me quickly, I'll be going to convocation in DC.

Me going is still dependent on if I can get my letter of matriculation in time, but that's a whole other story... ? 

Good luck to other alternates! 

1 hour ago, redraisin said:

Major lurker here, happened to check this thread today and thought I'd share.

I was an alternate for the SAFLI fellowship, and I got a response back the day after people were supposed to make decisions, I think May 1st or 2nd. Note, this is only my experience with the SAFLI fellowship program, not the scholarship. Since they got back to me quickly, I'll be going to convocation in DC.

Me going is still dependent on if I can get my letter of matriculation in time, but that's a whole other story... ? 

Good luck to other alternates! 

Well it could be possible that Boren already distributed the rest of the awards to the rest of the alternates. It seems rather likely I would think. 

On 5/23/2018 at 8:31 PM, redraisin said:

Agreed! Just thought it might be interesting for future SAFLI alternates.

I would just prefer if they emailed the non recipients of the scholarship such as the alternates to let them know that they didn't get the scholarship. Because tbh it is agonizing to not hear from them at all.

• 3 weeks later...