Boren 2018-2019

malubra

1 hour ago, meme1908 said:

Hi! I have not gotten one. I am hoping it is because Flagship and Boren are so familiar. Fingers crossed*. Hope that means something for you guys!

33 minutes ago, meme1908 said:

Also, what day did you guys get your emails?

Mine came today (3/15). The email said that all Boren scholarship applicants got the email, with the exception of AFLI French/Swahili/Portuguese, IFLI and SAFLI applicants.

On 3/15/2018 at 9:04 PM, schoolcat said:

Mine came today (3/15). The email said that all Boren scholarship applicants got the email, with the exception of AFLI French/Swahili/Portuguese, IFLI and SAFLI applicants.

None of the flagship students at my university have gotten an email. At first I thought I may have overlooked it, but I am not sure now since everyone I have asked said they haven't received one. Maybe they are already confirmed with our budget is what I am hoping. 

On 3/16/2018 at 11:46 PM, meme1908 said:

None of the flagship students at my university have gotten an email. At first I thought I may have overlooked it, but I am not sure now since everyone I have asked said they haven't received one. Maybe they are already confirmed with our budget is what I am hoping. 

Based off of what I've seen from last year, it seems like the Flagships got a budget email about a week after everyone else. 

I'm definitely getting more antsy now.  Good thing I'm super busy and mostly occupied lol.  It's amazing how this thread had hundreds of replies in years past and now we're down to this small group.  Hopefully that's a good sign for us?

13 hours ago, woshimeiguoren said:

Yea I got the email for the scholarship update as well. I really do think everyone got it. My issue is that I am now only studying for a semester, and I applied for a full academic year because that's what I originally had planned to do...so I'm not sure what to do. 

Are you a Flagship applicant?

From what I hear on my campus, none of the flagship applicants (fellowship and scholarship) have received a budget confirmation email. It's true that in previous years the flagships also got a budget email ( a week AFTER everyone) but it seems that none of the FLI students have been contacted this year. Am I wrong, flagship applicants? 

9 hours ago, InGrad said:

From what I hear on my campus, none of the flagship applicants (fellowship and scholarship) have received a budget confirmation email. It's true that in previous years the flagships also got a budget email ( a week AFTER everyone) but it seems that none of the FLI students have been contacted this year. Am I wrong, flagship applicants? 

I have not received a budget update for IFLI.

On 3/20/2018 at 10:09 PM, InGrad said:

You're right. Still no email for the flagship students at my university. 

On 3/20/2018 at 9:51 PM, Arianna827 said:

I'm definitely getting more antsy now.  Good thing I'm super busy and mostly occupied lol.  It's amazing how this thread had hundreds of replies in years past and now we're down to this small group.  Hopefully that's a good sign for us?

I was thinking the same. Hopefully there are less applicants this year.

Hello! I've applied for the Boren Fellowship to spend a year in Thailand. Anyone else apply for Thailand?

Like everyone else, the suspense is killing me. However, it's almost April, so, we're getting closer to finding out! 

Additionally, I'm disappointed that there haven't been as many posts on this thread; at least compared to last year (which I read through entirely.. once... or three times...).

13 hours ago, drf216 said:

Hello! I've applied for the Boren Fellowship to spend a year in Thailand. Anyone else apply for Thailand?

Like everyone else, the suspense is killing me. However, it's almost April, so, we're getting closer to finding out! 

Additionally, I'm disappointed that there haven't been as many posts on this thread; at least compared to last year (which I read through entirely.. once... or three times...).

I also read over the old thread a lot...too many times actually...

2 hours ago, Cheshirecaitt said:

Hey all! I applied to study Japanese in Japan (obviously). I’m going for a year, and I stupidly have a count down for April 15th since that’s the rough estimate of the award date lol. I totally don’t like to induce anxiety with my over anticipation or anything. 

I know... I've been slowly counting down the days too. My guess is that it will be April 16th since the 15th is a Sunday.

47 minutes ago, Arianna827 said:

No budget update yet for any of the Flagships? 

Nothing on my end. I cant believe they're going to keep us in the dark till mid April, or maybe the radio silence means we're all about to get rejected... lol levels of stress are at an all time high!

17 hours ago, woshimeiguoren said:

My issue is that I had applied for a year and I am now not able to do  a full year. I can only do a semester. What should I do? And no, I'm an undergrad scholarship applicant.

2017%20Boren%20Scholarship%20Handbook%20

I found this for the 2017 year. The info about the change in program length is on the 11th page. I suggest we read it all, though, it’s quite interesting. They say no journalism—freelance or anything else—which makes me wonder if can’t also blog while there?

Hello everyone! I did get the budget email as well. Has anyone received any other emails recently after the budget update? I did not have any budget to update.

22 hours ago, woshimeiguoren said:

My issue is that I had applied for a year and I am now not able to do  a full year. I can only do a semester. What should I do? And no, I'm an undergrad scholarship applicant.

You have to call or email them about your change from 1 year to only a semester. That is a significant change. Did you get a budget email? It stated there specifically to contact them about that.