Boren 2018-2019

malubra

I'm still a conspiracy theory fan. :P I appreciate the responses and I'm feeling better.  I started my PhD in 2014 so it's been a journey for me.  In 2007 I started my BA so I've been rambling about what I'm going to do with anthropology for over a decade now.  What's another two weeks in the grander scheme of things? (?!)

Edited by Arianna827

I honestly wouldn't freak too much (in a good or bad way) over the budget confirmations. My campus adviser actually told me that there has been a change in staffing for the people who review BOREN applications this year (NOT a good thing, because we're basically their guinea pigs!). So although the budget updates were a good sign in the previous years, they are not a good indicator for your award decision this year.

Edited by InGrad

I still can't believe I put down one year to study abroad... I feel like I am getting second thoughts on this because its going to be one year deferred from my school. Then another year to my age, i'm already behind in my education due to getting a job instead of continuing with my education. 

How have you guys come to terms with delaying your studies if you're a scholar applicant?

1 hour ago, SecretP said:

I still can't believe I put down one year to study abroad... I feel like I am getting second thoughts on this because its going to be one year deferred from my school. Then another year to my age, i'm already behind in my education due to getting a job instead of continuing with my education. 

How have you guys come to terms with delaying your studies if you're a scholar applicant?

I completely understand this feeling. I'm in a very tight knit group of friends who are all on track to graduate in the same year. I've been trying to come to terms with the idea that if I receive the Boren (fingers crossed) I will have to graduate a year after them and be without them for my senior year. I've just been telling myself that the benefits of a year abroad would outweigh the cost of going.

I also will be taking an extra year to graduate because I’m studying abroad for a year—but for me it’s worth it. I’ll miss my friends graduations, and that’s sad, but I have never had a chance to travel——let alone be able to actually be in one of the countries I’m learning about. It’s scary, and I’m getting more nervous as the days go on, but this is something I decided is going to happen no matter what. I’m mostly worried I won’t be able to make the best out of it, or I will get depressed while there. So, I’m actually talking to everyone I know about plans if that happens. I have friends who have friends and family in Japan, teachers who live there in the summer, so I’m reaching out to all possible resources to help me if I’m ever feeling stuck. But I’m also still really nervous and scared, it’ll be the first time I’m ever in an environment where I know no one.

Im also worried I won’t get as much out of my program as I want. 

I was looking at the NSEP reports and applicants for the Boren scholarship have dropped from about 1,000 in 2012 to about 750 in 2017. I mean, that's good for us since it makes the acceptance rate higher but I wonder why that is? Applications started decreasing pretty steadily since 2013 so it isn't due to the new administration 

5 hours ago, Sarahpennies said:

I was looking at the NSEP reports and applicants for the Boren scholarship have dropped from about 1,000 in 2012 to about 750 in 2017. I mean, that's good for us since it makes the acceptance rate higher but I wonder why that is? Applications started decreasing pretty steadily since 2013 so it isn't due to the new administration 

In general, I think it’s a lack of interest in the year long commitment and government work—regardless of a new administration. 

There was definitely an uptick in people going back to school (grad school or otherwise) from 2008 to 2012 related to the recession and then it seemed to drop off after that.  I think Edward Snowden's case had a lot of people up in arms in 2013.  You also have books like Spy Schools by Daniel Golden from 2017 (among other books on the topic) who have suggested that these kind of scholarships/fellowships are conduits to CIA work and that the government is infiltrating school campuses.  Weaponizing Anthropology by David Price is another one.  I enjoyed reading both of these books to get a background history on how programs like Boren came to be.  No question that they're fabulous writers and that they did their homework, I just don't agree with their final "take."  Ultimately, they cast a shadow on the federal gov. service requirement in relation to other granting agencies who do not have this requirement. 

For folks like myself who are looking at arts policy, cultural heritage management and museum work I don't really get how what they are saying applies to me.  Even if someone wanted to join the CIA, that would be their call and it doesn't affect me, you know?  I don't personally see academia as "pure and ethical" vs. the government as inherently "bad."  That's what I've learned from spending years in academia.  I've seen a lot of folks preach about "people in the government" from their tenured perch in academic posts, but times have changed dramatically, at least for anthropology.  There was a study that came out recently which stated that perhaps up to 80% of Anthropology PhD's will not receive tenure track jobs in the academy.  If they did not receive their PhD at an Ivy League their chances may go down even more.  Personally, I've watched people take on horrible adjuncting/lecturer jobs in the "hope" that they'll make it eventually and frankly most of them never do.  I would rather try my hand at something else.                       

Edited by Arianna827

That's interesting! I grew up near the DC area and it seems most of people I went to high school with want a career in the federal government or military, although I can see why that might not be the case for everyone. It's kind of fun seeing the conspiracy theories and academia/government divide though! I think I heard a similar one the other day about international students spying on the US for the Chinese government 

Edited by Sarahpennies

27 minutes ago, nharms said:

I have received an email asking for another budget update/dates check. It is from the Boren group for my region (Boren Asia). Anyone else??

Damn I didn't get one lol. I applied for Israel, did anyone else from the same region get another email?

13 hours ago, nharms said:

I have received an email asking for another budget update/dates check. It is from the Boren group for my region (Boren Asia). Anyone else??

What do you mean a by another email? They just sent you the same email twice? or the first email was the general budget confirmation email and then they followed up after your replied to go more in depth to your budget problem? They did the latter with me and i am a Boren Asia applicant (SAFLI). I don't know if this comparison helps since you never specified which part of Boren Asia you were referencing lol

Edited by InGrad

25 minutes ago, InGrad said:

What do you mean a by another email? They just sent you the same email twice? or the first email was the general budget confirmation email and then they followed up after your replayed to go more in depth to your budget problem? They did the latter with me and i am a Boren Asia applicant (SAFLI). I don't know if this comparison helps since you never specified which part of Boren Asia you were referencing lol

I received the same budget email that everyone else got, but yesterday I received another specifically from Boren Asia. It said the following in the intro: "We are spot checking our applicant budgets and have a few questions about your Boren budget and program dates. This process does not in any way guarantee that you will be a Boren awardee. We want to be very clear that not all applicants receiving this message will be awarded." Then it asked you to verify your dates and budget once more. I am applying for China.

20 minutes ago, Cheshirecaitt said:

But re-reading it, it does sound similar to a final round letter....

But everyone received the budget conformation email, it can't be that we all made the final round. This year's application cycle is so different because of the change in admin! Stressing to the max:unsure:

7 minutes ago, InGrad said:

But everyone received the budget conformation email, it can't be that we all made the final round. This year's application cycle is so different because of the change in admin! Stressing to the max:unsure:

I mean the second email. But also, no one besides a few in Boren Asia (that we know) have received the second. So either each panel is doing things differently or it really is a random spot check/they found inconsistent numbers. It is really stesssful!!!!

My guess, if other areas get a second budget update, that is leaning towards a “finalist” category. But in all honesty, I am probably over thinking. I’m also preparing myself for the worst news. 

Yet, they are really insistent of the “emails don’t equal award” thing. So who knows...well, we will in about two weeks.