Boren 2018-2019

malubra

I too am a longtime lurker of this thread, concerned about not receiving a second budget email! I know we don't know exactly what it means, but it's still worrisome. My program was set to start June 1 and my budget went well over the limit, but I expected that as my tuition per semester exceeds 20k anyway. 

Those of you who received the second budget email, are you going for a year or a semester? 

I made the mistake of looking up this forum and signing into my long-dormant GradCafe account - now I'm feeling that anticipation anxiety! To answer @hamaur's post above, I'm applying for a fellowship for a year in Korea and I received the second budget email from BorenAsia. They wanted me to correct one small item in my budget.

I was a Fulbright ETA in Eastern Europe in 2014-15. IIRC, they were over a week late (compared to prior Fulbright application cycles) in notifying those accepted. So based on my anecdotal experience, I am expecting them to be late again, haha. Relax, everyone. :P

Edited by persona_in_foro

Another longtime lurker chiming in. I applied for the Fellowship (China) and received the second budget email. The email was to reconfirm/further clarify a minor detail of my budget. My proposed length of study was a year.

Did anyone else who applied for a Fellowship in Asia NOT get the second budget email?

As I've mentioned, I'm applying for a year-long fellowship in Thailand and haven't gotten the second budget email, only the first follow-up.

9 hours ago, drf216 said:

Did anyone else who applied for a Fellowship in Asia NOT get the second budget email?

As I've mentioned, I'm applying for a year-long fellowship in Thailand and haven't gotten the second budget email, only the first follow-up.

Not getting the second budget email probably just means that they were satisfied with what you submitted the first time around. :)

2 hours ago, persona_in_foro said:

Not getting the second budget email probably just means that they were satisfied with what you submitted the first time around. :)

Well I guess the correlation can be made if a person had changed their budget for the first email confirmation. I had no changes and received no second email. So now im just crossing my fingers. -_-

Lol my fellowship advisor got mad at me for mentioning I'm lurking on these forums. I mentioned not getting the second email (I applied Asia and a scholarship) and just preparing for other scholarships and she told me this "This is still in the fairly early round, and I know that some applicants may receive queries for different types/durations of programs (i.e., the language flagships).  We are on a listserv with hundreds of fellowships advisors across the country, and I don't think Boren has popped up once in discussion.  In addition, the Boren staff are on that listserv and regularly respond to questions and emails." 

This might clarify some things? I just have more questions.

Those that did get the 2nd budget email did you respond to the first budget email? Like say "no" or just didn't make any edits by the due date? I'm wondering if that has something to do with it as well.

1 hour ago, Cheshirecaitt said:

Lol my fellowship advisor got mad at me for mentioning I'm lurking on these forums. I mentioned not getting the second email (I applied Asia and a scholarship) and just preparing for other scholarships and she told me this "This is still in the fairly early round, and I know that some applicants may receive queries for different types/durations of programs (i.e., the language flagships).  We are on a listserv with hundreds of fellowships advisors across the country, and I don't think Boren has popped up once in discussion.  In addition, the Boren staff are on that listserv and regularly respond to questions and emails." 

This might clarify some things? I just have more questions.

Those that did get the 2nd budget email did you respond to the first budget email? Like say "no" or just didn't make any edits by the due date? I'm wondering if that has something to do with it as well.

I made no changes on my first budget update request. On the second update request, I replied I still had no changes, and they replied with something along the lines of: "Thanks. We will let you know if we have any further questions." Haven't had any other contact/questions since.

I had no changes to make on the original budget request, but I did do what they requested per the email.

I'll say that I'm a stickler for details when it comes to budgetary matters, so I'm hoping that no inquiries means that my budget was perfect. We shall see...

I applied as a Boren Fellow to Tajikistan, and didn’t get a second budget email, either. My study abroad program of choice is the American Councils’ Eurasian Regional Language Program, which has a very detailed budget available for its applicants. I’m hoping this is the reason why I didn’t get a second email, since the budget was already pretty specific. 

Good luck, everyone! 

34 minutes ago, zhaile said:

@Rivai Interesting so they announced the winners on the Friday of the second week of April last year? Anyone think there’s a chance they’ll do that this year?

Maybe? But I doubt it, they’d really need to have their shit together lol. And judging by last years forum most people received it on the 3rd Monday (so the 16th for us). I’m actually pretty amazed that rivai got it that early.

10 minutes ago, CollegeSkiBum said:

@zhaile I saw a Twitter post from Boren last year saying they were putting together mailed notices on Friday, the 14th. 

They sent out the email notifications on the 17th, so maybe @Rivai just had some nifty help from the USPS. 

Speaking of twitter—they haven’t posted anything since March. Some semblance of an idea for a result date would be nice instead of just guessing.

16 minutes ago, Cheshirecaitt said:

Speaking of twitter—they haven’t posted anything since March. Some semblance of an idea for a result date would be nice instead of just guessing.

Yeah, in past years it iooks as though they've been far more active on social media in the run-up to the deadline. Complete radio silence this year though. 

I actually think it's kind of amusing. 

32 minutes ago, CollegeSkiBum said:

@zhaile I saw a Twitter post from Boren last year saying they were putting together mailed notices on Friday, the 14th. 

They sent out the email notifications on the 17th, so maybe @Rivai just had some nifty help from the USPS. 

Okay that makes sense. Maybe he/she lives in the same city as the Boren office so or something so the mail arrived fast for them

Oops yeah I just checked my email, I did get it on the 17th, my friend who applied for a fellowship was asking me the other day when I got it and I thought I had said 14th. I apologize, I didn’t get a second budget email when I got it though. The mailed letter did get here another day though. Good luck!

Edited by Rivai