Fall 2018 French

frenchlover

Just received an offer of admission to the University of Connecticut! Although I'm only now realizing that the funding situation there seems far less than ideal... It seems that funding decisions are only made after a student has enrolled, which seems very strange?

I am very excited for my visit to University of Michigan, however. Everything I've seen from them so far has far exceeded my hopes for a graduate program, and I'm really looking forward to seeing the campus and meeting the faculty. I should probably scrape together a little money to buy new pants so I don't show up in jeans, though...haha

Edited by Monsieur Vénus

4 hours ago, Monsieur Vénus said:

Just received an offer of admission to the University of Connecticut! Although I'm only now realizing that the funding situation there seems far less than ideal... It seems that funding decisions are only made after a student has enrolled, which seems very strange?

I am very excited for my visit to University of Michigan, however. Everything I've seen from them so far has far exceeded my hopes for a graduate program, and I'm really looking forward to seeing the campus and meeting the faculty. I should probably scrape together a little money to buy new pants so I don't show up in jeans, though...haha

Congrats! Yeah, I don’t like how we have no idea how much funding we receive... A curious decision on their part. 

I just got back from UVA’s visit, which was more of a stress-inducing situation because no one’s been admitted yet, but everything went really smoothly! The profs and current grad students were incredibly welcoming, and I didn’t feel any pressure at all. 

@Saltshaker and @Monsieur Vénus Congrats on UConn, but I'm sorry to hear about the weird funding situation. @Saltshaker Has Penn State gotten back to you yet? It's definitely been over three weeks.

@Everyone I hope things are going well! I just had my first visit (Pitt), and I was wowed. Great students, great faculty, and the buildings are just unbelievable. Also, U. Maryland went ahead and accepted me. Two left to hear from!

So you know how I said I had all of my results? That was a lie... I just got into Northwestern! I actually thought I had withdrawn my app, but I apparently did it wrong and got an acceptance email this morning.

There seems to have been a silent waitlist since they just finished visiting days. I'll likely politely decline, but I'm still very happy and flattered!

10 hours ago, HomewardBound said:

@Saltshaker and @Monsieur Vénus Congrats on UConn, but I'm sorry to hear about the weird funding situation. @Saltshaker Has Penn State gotten back to you yet? It's definitely been over three weeks.

@Everyone I hope things are going well! I just had my first visit (Pitt), and I was wowed. Great students, great faculty, and the buildings are just unbelievable. Also, U. Maryland went ahead and accepted me. Two left to hear from!

Thanks! And nope, this is now the fourth week and counting. At this point, I don’t care if they accept or reject me, I just want to know. 

@madamoiselle Congrats! If there were an award for "most awesome acceptances", I think you'd win. That's a LOT of great choices.

@Saltshaker Wow. Maybe they forgot? It's probably worth doing a follow-up, though I know that the admin assistant is out until Monday. Sorry that you're still in flux!

22 hours ago, Saltshaker said:

Yeah, I don’t like how we have no idea how much funding we receive... A curious decision on their part. 

Congrats to you too, even if they only accepted you to the masters programs! I'm just trying to wrap my head around how they handle funding. Because requiring that I accept admission first basically takes them off the table for me.

7 hours ago, HomewardBound said:

@madamoiselle Congrats! If there were an award for "most awesome acceptances", I think you'd win. That's a LOT of great choices.

@Saltshaker Wow. Maybe they forgot? It's probably worth doing a follow-up, though I know that the admin assistant is out until Monday. Sorry that you're still in flux!

They could have, I can't imagine how busy grad schools must be around this time of year... I might shoot them an email next week if I still haven't heard from them! Although I would hope they didn't forget, I wouldn't want to be a forgettable applicant :unsure:

5 hours ago, Monsieur Vénus said:

Congrats to you too, even if they only accepted you to the masters programs! I'm just trying to wrap my head around how they handle funding. Because requiring that I accept admission first basically takes them off the table for me.

Thanks! Yeah, if I already have my funding offers for other schools, I'd like to at least have a number from UConn. Financials are such an important factor of the decision, and I don't want to go into debt if I decide to go to a school that mentions FAFSA in their decision letter. One of my former profs suggested emailing the head of the department, but I feel like that's information we should already know and shouldn't have to ask about...?

Just got a letter from the DGS at CUNY for an acceptance!  On a Sunday!!  They had been writing emails for weeks saying how they were interested in my candidacy.  So nice to finally get an acceptance!

Edited by awhiterussian

@Saltshaker Congrats on the acceptance to UVA! As for UConn...yeah, since I've already received funded offers from elsewhere, I just really don't like how the funding situation is sounding there, haha.

In general news, I finally heard back from Rutgers with a confirmation of my suspicion that I was likely on a waitlist. Good to have some solid news instead of speculation!

2 hours ago, Monsieur Vénus said:

@Saltshaker Congrats on the acceptance to UVA! As for UConn...yeah, since I've already received funded offers from elsewhere, I just really don't like how the funding situation is sounding there, haha.

In general news, I finally heard back from Rutgers with a confirmation of my suspicion that I was likely on a waitlist. Good to have some solid news instead of speculation!

Thanks! Yeah, exactly, if I already know how much funding other schools are offering me, then why go somewhere that hasn’t given me a number?

Edited by Saltshaker

@awhiterussian Congrats! Are you going to be visiting?

@Saltshaker Also congrats! Who are you interested in working with over there? UVA's French is great.

@Monsieur Vénus I finally had my talk with a POI from Boston. She was one of the most well-spoken people I've ever had the privilege of talking to. I felt smarter just by talking to her!

4 minutes ago, HomewardBound said:

@Saltshaker Also congrats! Who are you interested in working with over there? UVA's French is great.

@Monsieur Vénus I finally had my talk with a POI from Boston. She was one of the most well-spoken people I've ever had the privilege of talking to. I felt smarter just by talking to her!

Unfortunately I cannot, I’m doing tapif on Réunion ?? but I’ve been in constant contact with them 

8 hours ago, HomewardBound said:

Thanks! My main interests are 18th century and feminism, so Jennifer Tsien (who actually advised one of my former professors) and Elizabeth Hall are my main POI. 

1 hour ago, awhiterussian said:

For the Emory person that posted on the results page, did you email the department or did they email you to let you know?  If you don’t mind me asking.......I’m dying to hear a response 

Hi, that was me! I haven’t posted on here before but I read this forum fairly often. I interviewed on campus and I knew that some other people I interviewed with had been accepted so I emailed the graduate coordinator. I was suffering as well since it is my first choice. I got a fairly quick response that I was first on the waitlist. You should definitely shoot them a quick email or call, they were very cool about it. Bonne chance!

6 hours ago, lem195 said:

Hi, that was me! I haven’t posted on here before but I read this forum fairly often. I interviewed on campus and I knew that some other people I interviewed with had been accepted so I emailed the graduate coordinator. I was suffering as well since it is my first choice. I got a fairly quick response that I was first on the waitlist. You should definitely shoot them a quick email or call, they were very cool about it. Bonne chance!

Merci!!!

@awhiterussian Congratulations on Columbia. For what it's worth, I'd turn it down in a heartbeat. They may be the "best program" for something, but there are a lot of great schools out there that won't put you into debt for your education. I think you can do (and have done!) better.

If you're really set on Columbia, though, you could let them know that you have funded offers, and that, while you're interested in Columbia, you'd like to explore funding possibilities. I did that with a few universities in terms of moving expenses, and I was shocked at how receptive they were. Might be worth a try!