Fall 2018 French

frenchlover

Hello all! 

Sorry about joining this soirée rather late but I've applied for PhD programs this fall too. And now we wait...

I've applied to UI Bloomington, Harvard, Brown, NYU, Boston University, Rutgers Chicago and Yale. My research interests are mostly french cinema, francophone studies, immigration etc.

I'm glad I found this group. It's heartening to know that we're more or less in the same boat. My third recommender didn't submit her recommendations until early January even though I had been in touch with her since November. So that was crazy. But it's all done thankfully. 

I'm not hopeful about Harvard or Yale but desperately waiting to hear good news from UIB, BU and NYU. 

@frenchlover I'd love to know more about these awful things you heard about NYU because their joint PhD in French and French studies really appealed to me.

PS - I'm an international candidate so narrowing down my choices to these 8 schools was an insane task. 

That's it from me for now. Have a good weekend guys. Hope we hear something next week. 

Hi @Green.Mango I can write to you in private. Obviously these were the opinions of two graduate students, but it sounded like their peers shared many of them. FWIW, they are both finishing their PhDs, but are graduating with a severe dislike of the department and are refusing their faculty's requests to reach out to potential applicants in their undergraduate alma maters.

Edited by frenchlover

Thanks @Carly Rae Jepsen

Wow, 7. But I'm sure there are many more of us out there right?

I've been following the posts on this forum and on older French PhD forums. It was interesting to hear about the number of applicants and the acceptance rate in these schools. 

But it's still such an investment that the schools make in PhD candidates that they're super selective even with a smaller application pool. 

It's the same person getting interviews/acceptances everywhere, based on the GRE scores/GPA. I'd be really curious as to what their application was like, because they've now heard good news from three Ivy League schools and U. Michigan. #jealous

@awhiterussian it looks like Penn waits to see if their top candidates take a position or not, everybody else is just on a quiet waitlist for the time being. Rejections don't seem to come in writing until late February or March, so those who have heard back are likely top candidates. I applied to Penn, it's an awesome program, but the fit isn't as amazing as it could be so I'm not expecting a whole lot :( 

Also if that is you on the results board, you rock so hard!! Félicitations on all of the good news, keep us updated :D 

1 hour ago, madamoiselle said:

@awhiterussian it looks like Penn waits to see if their top candidates take a position or not, everybody else is just on a quiet waitlist for the time being. Rejections don't seem to come in writing until late February or March, so those who have heard back are likely top candidates. I applied to Penn, it's an awesome program, but the fit isn't as amazing as it could be so I'm not expecting a whole lot :( 

Also if that is you on the results board, you rock so hard!! Félicitations on all of the good news, keep us updated :D 

Where is this results board? I can’t find it!!  The DGS at Penn said they have very few spots this year because there were so many that accepted last year. 

And I didn’t apply to Michigan.  So excited for all true responses to come.  I applied to so many schools ???

@awhiterussian oh never mind! You just shared your update at the same time somebody updated the results page. You still rock though for getting your interviews! :) if you google "gradcafe results" and then type "french" into the search bar, it'll show you people who are updating admissions/rejections and such.

Ahh, so you applied to Penn as well? (Sorry if you already mentioned, I'm on mobile otherwise I would check!) I was actually thinking about how large their last incoming class was -- 6 or 7 just for French, if I remember correctly, which is huge! I imagine funding is getting pretty tight, then, so they probably only accepted 2-4 off the bat. Oh well, on we go! Hopefully some good news in the forthcoming weeks ?

Edited by madamoiselle

2 hours ago, madamoiselle said:

@awhiterussian oh never mind! You just shared your update at the same time somebody updated the results page. You still rock though for getting your interviews! :) if you google "gradcafe results" and then type "french" into the search bar, it'll show you people who are updating admissions/rejections and such.

Ahh, so you applied to Penn as well? (Sorry if you already mentioned, I'm on mobile otherwise I would check!) I was actually thinking about how large their last incoming class was -- 6 or 7 just for French, if I remember correctly, which is huge! I imagine funding is getting pretty tight, then, so they probably only accepted 2-4 off the bat. Oh well, on we go! Hopefully some good news in the forthcoming weeks ?

Yeah, Upenn got 8 out of 10 acceptances last year, so funding must be real tight.  Hoping for good news. 

YOU GUYS I am in Barcelona on a little weekend getaway and I JUST GOT INTO BERKELEY (WITH A 5 YEAR + SUMMER FUNDING PACKAGE!!) I AM TRYING SO HARD NOT TO SCREAM AND CRY and wake up my hostel mates!! ITS 3:02 AM!! I HAVE TO SCREAM SOMEWHERE!!!

Edited by madamoiselle

Omg @madamoiselle CONGRATULATIONS!!! Who do you hope to work with if you go to Berkeley? Debarati is so cool -- I reviewed part of her work for my courses, and I was blown away by the finesse of her writing! I envy you haha!

Edited by frenchlover

@frenchlover Dr. Young! His work is outstanding and right up my alley. I spoke to him this past fall and he was so eager and excited to help, it really spoke well on behalf of the school. The staff is so lovely and kind as a whole, you can definitely tell they love their community!

I was worried because I had heard that funding was iffy in prior years, so the fact that I get a funding package honestly drove me to a complete emotional breakdown. I'm stoked! It's going to be a tough choice if I get any more acceptances, Berkeley has been one of my best fits and top choices for years now.

2 hours ago, madamoiselle said:

YOU GUYS I am in Barcelona on a little weekend getaway and I JUST GOT INTO BERKELEY (WITH A 5 YEAR + SUMMER FUNDING PACKAGE!!) I AM TRYING SO HARD NOT TO SCREAM AND CRY and wake up my hostel mates!! ITS 3:02 AM!! I HAVE TO SCREAM SOMEWHERE!!!

Congrats!!!

5 hours ago, madamoiselle said:

Congratulations!!!! So happy for you!

Thank you so, so much you guys! I'm excited, and have had quite an emotionally exhausting day. I emailed some of my old professors letting them know, and they say that this is definitely the time decisions start rolling out and the whole process kicks into gear. Best of luck for everybody going into this week! 

Salut! I'm showing up late, but I needed to find Francophiles who are also suffering through the waiting game right now.

I applied to Columbia, Cornell, Louisiana State, UMich, Penn State, UConn, and UVA.

I feel like I'm a bit of an oddball, since this is my second gap year. Last year I did TAPIF, and I'm doing AmeriCorps right now. But I must be doing something right; I got an interview with Columbia! It's the first school I've heard back from, and I'm so nervous about that interview. 

@Saltshaker I don't think there's anything odd with doing a second gap! I'm in TAPIF right now in the Paris region and many of my friends are renewing for year 2 before they apply to graduate school. I also have first and second-year grad school friends who took 2-3 years off. TAPIF/Americorps are awesome gap year programs! Which académie were you in? :)

Huge congrats on the Columbia interview! 

Edited by madamoiselle