Jump to content

Fall 2018 French


Recommended Posts

15 hours ago, awhiterussian said:

Got my response.  Was rejected for doctoral program, but accepted to masters program with what looks like will be full funding.  Will keep weighing my options I suppose!

Were you accepted for the French or the French studies masters? Trying to figure out when they will start sending out acceptances for the French Studies

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 680
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have crossed my t's and dotted my i's, and I'm super excited to be matriculating to UC Berkeley!!! 

Just got accepted to Indiana! 

Status has changed on Rutgers profile, and I was able to accept the offer of admission!

Posted Images

16 minutes ago, Michael Scarn said:

Were you accepted for the French or the French studies masters? Trying to figure out when they will start sending out acceptances for the French Studies

I think they only have one masters program, but two PhD programs. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Monsieur Vénus said:

@Green.Mango I think I know what course you sat in on (the professor who teaches it is also the professor for one of my undergrad courses and mentioned that potential students were sitting in on her grad course, haha). That course is cross-listed with the theater department, correct? I hadn't realized it was taught in English! The grad seminar I'm currently in here is entirely in French

Yup, that's the one! It was really interesting and that prof made an effort to summarise what they had done already so that we weren't as lost! There was one student from a the comp. lit background I think, which is why it was in English. 

@Frenchlady I don't think it'll be as bad as no spoken French for 5 years! But it'll definitely NOT be all French all the time. I'm hoping it's a healthy mix. But hey, you've made your choice! congratulations! :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Frenchlady said:

I don't know. I understand the need for interdisciplinary classes... I understand we have to take theory classes in English and other classes in other departments that will be taught in english. But it really doesn't sit well with me that classes listed as French classes are being taught in English. How do you want to call yourself a specialist on French or francophone Literature if you have not spoken French in 5 years?  

That is my main concern (with stipend) but I'd rather take a smaller stipend and go to a Uni that teaches in French in order to encourage to keep what seems to become an exception , that get more money and have all my classes in English. So, for me, I think LSU it will be. 

Congrats on your decision! I also think it's very important that French is spoken in class, otherwise it's easy to lose it (at least speaking-wise). LSU's program is fantastic too.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@awhiterussian Congratulations! I don't think NYU offers many fully funded master's, so you're among a select few!

@Frenchlady I'm really surprised to hear that Texas does its classes in English. I'm still at my Penn State visit, and one of the awesome things about this program is that nearly every course is held 100% in French, which means having to really hone your French theoretical vocabulary. Even in programs which tend to hold classes in French, theory is often done in franglais. It sounds like LSU might be the right choice, so congrats! I agree with @Carly Rae Jepsen--they really have a great program!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just felt like venting, but I have my last visit tomorrow and I am pulling my hair out thinking about making a decision! It's such a lucky problem to have, but I'm equal parts incredibly excited and full of existential turmoil!

Edited by madamoiselle
Link to post
Share on other sites

@madamoiselle I agree so much with you on this. And it's true, of the problems to have, these aren't too bad! But you make such a personal connection with the students and faculty that saying no to all but one feels really sad. Am I weird on this point?

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, HomewardBound said:

@madamoiselle I agree so much with you on this. And it's true, of the problems to have, these aren't too bad! But you make such a personal connection with the students and faculty that saying no to all but one feels really sad. Am I weird on this point?

No, not weird at all! I’m already dreading having to tell people no. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Stanford just said no ? The visit was however great and it was cool to meet faculty, and I won't forget that gorgeous campus. I'm not sure it would've been a great fit for my interests even if I got in.

My decision just became way easier now, I am leaning towards WashU. I am of course excited to visit IU and hear about Pitt and Rutgers' stipend offers, but the program at WUSTL felt very much like a fit (especially one faculty member I see myself working with) and the funding was fantastic for the area. Before officially deciding I will wait to have all these pieces of information. 

I feel as if a giant rock was lifted off my body with this last decision.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Carly Rae Jepsen bummer about Stanford, but you have such amazing options and I'm sure you could thrive in any environment! I'm so happy that this lightens the weight on your decision, though, especially if you felt wary about fit vs. environment. Best of luck with your visits!! I'm certain you will have a lovely time. 

@HomewardBound You hit the nail on the head. It gets exponentially harder when you meet these people, exchange numbers, look them in the eyes, smile, hug, have drinks, etc. and they're more than just photos on a website or signatures on a letter. Either way, as much as we are armoured for rejection, waiting and bad news while applying, they must feel the same as we make our decisions! 

I am, however, STOKED to see where we all end up and how this journey continues! No matter what, every program I've seen mentioned so far is awesome (there is no collective "best" or "perfect" program for every single person!) and I'm sure the Frenchie universe will take us all where we need to be :) These things always work out for the best, even rejections, waitlists, or the treacherous unknown.

Just some advice, since I've already told two schools "no" in some form -- be prepared to say where you will be going, since they like to collect that information and both have asked me so far. I don't know just yet, I'm between Berkeley and Cornell (and am waiting for my Berkeley visit to finish on Monday), but I told them that I would be making a decision soon and would let them know! You're not obligated to apply, but try to be nice/civil and don't be taken aback if they ask you "why?" or "who?" That was the hardest part for me. They have to know so that they can offer another person a spot, so rip it off like a bandaid! 

Edited by madamoiselle
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you, @madamoiselle ! I felt much better after reading your words. You're absolutely right about getting ready to be honest with programs. I think by now I feel ready to tell UNC I won't be attending, and am dreading to write the email but hope someone else gets my spot.

I'm also excited to see where we all end up, this has been a journey! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Carly Rae Jepsen said:

Thank you, @madamoiselle ! I felt much better after reading your words. You're absolutely right about getting ready to be honest with programs. I think by now I feel ready to tell UNC I won't be attending, and am dreading to write the email but hope someone else gets my spot.

I'm also excited to see where we all end up, this has been a journey! 

Keep your head up!  Wash U is a great great school and many would love to be in the situation you are in!  Getting an interview at freaking Stanford is an accomplishment in and of itself

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, awhiterussian said:

Keep your head up!  Wash U is a great great school and many would love to be in the situation you are in!  Getting an interview at freaking Stanford is an accomplishment in and of itself

Thank you!  I really consider myself lucky, it's been a good season.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/17/2018 at 3:25 AM, madamoiselle said:

@Carly Rae Jepsen bummer about Stanford, but you have such amazing options and I'm sure you could thrive in any environment! I'm so happy that this lightens the weight on your decision, though, especially if you felt wary about fit vs. environment. Best of luck with your visits!! I'm certain you will have a lovely time. 

@HomewardBound You hit the nail on the head. It gets exponentially harder when you meet these people, exchange numbers, look them in the eyes, smile, hug, have drinks, etc. and they're more than just photos on a website or signatures on a letter. Either way, as much as we are armoured for rejection, waiting and bad news while applying, they must feel the same as we make our decisions! 

I am, however, STOKED to see where we all end up and how this journey continues! No matter what, every program I've seen mentioned so far is awesome (there is no collective "best" or "perfect" program for every single person!) and I'm sure the Frenchie universe will take us all where we need to be :) These things always work out for the best, even rejections, waitlists, or the treacherous unknown.

Just some advice, since I've already told two schools "no" in some form -- be prepared to say where you will be going, since they like to collect that information and both have asked me so far. I don't know just yet, I'm between Berkeley and Cornell (and am waiting for my Berkeley visit to finish on Monday), but I told them that I would be making a decision soon and would let them know! You're not obligated to apply, but try to be nice/civil and don't be taken aback if they ask you "why?" or "who?" That was the hardest part for me. They have to know so that they can offer another person a spot, so rip it off like a bandaid! 

Thanks for the advice and for the kind philosophical words about our French journeys. 

I hope we carry these interactions forward even after we've made our final decisions. It's nice to see final decisions being made. Best of luck everyone!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Good morning, everyone! Well, I did it. I declined 6/7 of my offers of admission. All of the offers were incredible, and there isn't one program that I wouldn't strongly recommend. However, Penn State was the best human, intellectual, and...locational? fit for both my wife and myself. Plus, this way, anyone on the waitlist at some of my other schools will hopefully get some good news!

@Carly Rae Jepsen I hope my rejection of Pitt's (really generous) offer will mean more funding for you. If you haven't already accepted Wash U.'s offer, I'd encourage you to look into Pitt a bit more. They have some really incredible faculty and students, and the grant possibilities are out of this world! My wife and I are just weird, and we prefer living in really quiet areas instead of cities.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm curious to know how much Washington is offering, I'm already on the butt with Rutgers's offer! I can't imagine getting more haha. And I'm sure Washington is not a cheap place to live...

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HomewardBound said:

Good morning, everyone! Well, I did it. I declined 6/7 of my offers of admission. All of the offers were incredible, and there isn't one program that I wouldn't strongly recommend. However, Penn State was the best human, intellectual, and...locational? fit for both my wife and myself. Plus, this way, anyone on the waitlist at some of my other schools will hopefully get some good news!

@Carly Rae Jepsen I hope my rejection of Pitt's (really generous) offer will mean more funding for you. If you haven't already accepted Wash U.'s offer, I'd encourage you to look into Pitt a bit more. They have some really incredible faculty and students, and the grant possibilities are out of this world! My wife and I are just weird, and we prefer living in really quiet areas instead of cities.

 

 

Congrats on your decision! I imagine a huge weight has been lifted off your shoulders and it must be wonderful to know where you’re going to live for the next 6-7 years.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, HomewardBound said:

Good morning, everyone! Well, I did it. I declined 6/7 of my offers of admission. All of the offers were incredible, and there isn't one program that I wouldn't strongly recommend. However, Penn State was the best human, intellectual, and...locational? fit for both my wife and myself. Plus, this way, anyone on the waitlist at some of my other schools will hopefully get some good news!

@Carly Rae Jepsen I hope my rejection of Pitt's (really generous) offer will mean more funding for you. If you haven't already accepted Wash U.'s offer, I'd encourage you to look into Pitt a bit more. They have some really incredible faculty and students, and the grant possibilities are out of this world! My wife and I are just weird, and we prefer living in really quiet areas instead of cities.

 

 

Congrats on your decision!!! I'm really jealous, I wish I could decide now. I am sure you'll thrive at Penn State!

Indeed, I got the Pittsburgh offer and it was quite good--and also nearly identical to WashU's offer. I am sad about being unable to visit but will otherwise speak to faculty and current students, one of the professors there is an Algeria expert and that's one of my big interests. It may boil down between WashU and them, I would love to live in either of those cities.

I also got the Rutgers offer and it was good, but NJ is more expensive than both St. Louis and Pittsburgh, so I'm a little worried about that.

I only have the Indiana offer left but since I'm visiting I will talk about it then.

Maybe my decision isn't as easy as I thought it was. :ph34r:

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Carly Rae Jepsen I'm sorry you won't get to visit. Pitt is essentially Hogwarts. The Cathedral of Learning (where humanities are located) looks like a set from the films, even on the upper floors. Whether that's a pro or a con for you, I don't know, but yeah! Sorry the choice has gotten more difficult, but I'm sure you'll make the right one.

@Saltshaker Absolutely. And it's the kind of place I'd like to live. Just because I've accepted doesn't mean you won't hear something, though. Other students still have to respond. Fingers crossed!

Link to post
Share on other sites

@HomewardBound CONGRATS ON YOUR DECISION!!! Penn State is an absolutely outstanding program and I'm ecstatic for you!! 

That being said, I have also formally made my decision today! I'm going to tie together all of the administrative nuts and bolts over the next 24 hours, and then I CANNOT WAIT to share it with you all! <3 

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, madamoiselle said:

I have crossed my t's and dotted my i's, and I'm super excited to be matriculating to UC Berkeley!!! :D

I cannot add any more reactions today but congratulations!! I'm so happy for you, UC Berkeley is incredible and in a very nice area. Keep us updated on how everything goes!

Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Frenchlady said:

ok so now Austin comes in with an offer (I was on the waiting list) and that's a lot of money! I have not accepted LSU yet

That's definitely a tough decision! The Walther Fellowship is super generous, I remember all of the grad students being pretty comfy down in Austin while I was there! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.