1 hour ago, Psycholostress said:

School: University of Memphis

Type: PhD Clinical

Date of invite: 1/10/18

Type of invite: Email from POI

Interview date(s): 2/2 

Can you DM me your POI initials?

On 1/4/2018 at 10:11 AM, shif said:

To the person who got a phone interview at Syracuse - would you be able to DM me your POI's initials? Thanks :)

I don’t see the original Syracuse post. Have you heard anything from either the poster or Syracuse?

23 minutes ago, Psycholostress said:

I don’t see the original Syracuse post. Have you heard anything from either the poster or Syracuse?

Nope, I just saw the post on the survey page where everyone is posting their interview invites. I assume all of the invites went out for Syracuse, no invite for me :( 

I have been freaking out all day since I found this forum... I applied to 6 clinical psych PhD programs and haven’t heard back from any.. 

Syracuse
SUNY Albany
SUNY Binghamton
Fordham
Pittsburgh
Boston U 

I thought my chances were really good... (3.5 gpa, clinical internship experience, 2 years of research, REU, grants..) now I’m doubting myself... should I just take all of these as rejections since I haven’t hated from any? I’ve seen some people have gotten interviews from at least 5 of them....

23 minutes ago, shif said:

Nope, I just saw the post on the survey page where everyone is posting their interview invites. I assume all of the invites went out for Syracuse, no invite for me :( 

I applied to Syracuse too and no interview for me either... slowly freaking out..

28 minutes ago, JClinical said:

I have been freaking out all day since I found this forum... I applied to 6 clinical psych PhD programs and haven’t heard back from any.. 

Syracuse
SUNY Albany
SUNY Binghamton
Fordham
Pittsburgh
Boston U 

I thought my chances were really good... (3.5 gpa, clinical internship experience, 2 years of research, REU, grants..) now I’m doubting myself... should I just take all of these as rejections since I haven’t hated from any? I’ve seen some people have gotten interviews from at least 5 of them ....

Boston U doesn't send out interview invites yet until late January. But as far as the other schools go, check here: https://thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q=clinical+psychology

Also, to me, you applied to a good range of schools. I applied to 7. There are others who apply to more, but you have good experience and I wouldn't freak out yet.

Edited by missfleur

7 minutes ago, missfleur said:

Boston U doesn't send out interview invites yet until late January. But as far as the other schools go, check here: https://thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q=clinical+psychology

Also, to me, you applied to a good range of schools. I applied to 7. There are others who apply to more, but you have good experience and I wouldn't freak out yet.

Haha it’s funny you mentioned the amount of schools I applied to.. someone else just commented on my post on another forum saying I didn’t apply to enough and that I limited myself. Your comment was reassuring. 

I did see that at least 4/6 if my schools have sent out invites..

21 minutes ago, JClinical said:

Haha it’s funny you mentioned the amount of schools I applied to.. someone else just commented on my post on another forum saying I didn’t apply to enough and that I limited myself. Your comment was reassuring. 

I did see that at least 4/6 if my schools have sent out invites..

A lot of people have options about the number of schools you should apply to. My opinion (and this is someone who has done this before any only applied to three, wasn't successful and was waitlisted) it depends on where you apply versus the quantity. If you apply to places you're not a good fit or only to really competitive programs, then that's bad. But you applied to a good range.

I myself haven't gotten invites from 2/7 schools I know already have sent invites. One could send second round invites, so there's that. But most of the schools I've applied to send out invites later. Try to keep your chin up. It only takes one invite to interview and offer to get into a program. Sure, multiple invites are exciting and awesome but not everyone gets that.

You also have to understand that this forum by nature is polarizing. You either see people excitedly getting a slew of invites and are spoiled for choice or those panicking with no invitations or only one or they're seeking information. It can give you a bias to the stress and anxiety side of things to see that "obviously" everyone is getting invites but me and then also make you anxious because others post about if anyone has heard from a university. 

Anyway, try to limit yourself to coming on here too often. It's tough to do, but it might help the stress.

Edited by missfleur

8 hours ago, JClinical said:

Syracuse
SUNY Albany
SUNY Binghamton
Fordham
Pittsburgh
Boston U 

I thought my chances were really good... (3.5 gpa, clinical internship experience, 2 years of research, REU, grants..) now I’m doubting myself... should I just take all of these as rejections since I haven’t hated from any? I’ve seen some people have gotten interviews from at least 5 of them....

7 hours ago, missfleur said:

You also have to understand that this forum by nature is polarizing. You either see people excitedly getting a slew of invites and are spoiled for choice or those panicking with no invitations or only one or they're seeking information. It can give you a bias to the stress and anxiety side of things to see that "obviously" everyone is getting invites but me and then also make you anxious because others post about if anyone has heard from a university. 

I didn't know about this site until last year, while I was attending the one and only interview I was offered. All of the other applicants were talking about their schedules for all of their interviews and I felt awful because I didn't get any others, and could only suspect I wasn't getting more since none of my schools wrote to decline my application and I didn't know about this forum. Basically, radio silence from 9 out of 10 schools from December 1 to mid March.

Obviously, I didn't end up getting an offer at that one school, so here I am, a year later, applying to an additional 10 schools. The difference is I've been through this before, I knew what changes I wanted to make, and I was able to add to my CV with an additional year of working. Like missfleur said, this forum is not as great as it might seem...you don't know all the details, people aren't necessarily forthcoming (nor do they have to be) about how they got to a point of having x many interview offers, and everyone's path is going to look different. I'm not sure of "most," but a lot of people have to apply during multiple cycles before they find their golden ticket.

I can't stress this enough: the application process for psychology PhD is idiosyncratic at best. Even tremendously qualified students will get rejected because there simply aren't enough spots to accept all of them. Your figure of 6 schools doesn't really matter so much as the quality of fit between you and that school and the professors you identified as potential mentors. Above all else, fit is the most important factor and personally I feel that is the difference between my first set of applications and my second. Furthermore, this is a really classist process and not everyone can afford to apply to 10-20 schools. Personally, I think this process needs an overhaul.

Now, it sounds like you still have a couple more schools left. Your luck may change! All you need is one interview. If, however, that doesn't happen, it's gonna suck, but just know that there's always next year! If this is what you want, you'll make it happen.

4 hours ago, b_l91 said:

I didn't know about this site until last year, while I was attending the one and only interview I was offered. All of the other applicants were talking about their schedules for all of their interviews and I felt awful because I didn't get any others, and could only suspect I wasn't getting more since none of my schools wrote to decline my application and I didn't know about this forum. Basically, radio silence from 9 out of 10 schools from December 1 to mid March.

Obviously, I didn't end up getting an offer at that one school, so here I am, a year later, applying to an additional 10 schools. The difference is I've been through this before, I knew what changes I wanted to make, and I was able to add to my CV with an additional year of working. Like missfleur said, this forum is not as great as it might seem...you don't know all the details, people aren't necessarily forthcoming (nor do they have to be) about how they got to a point of having x many interview offers, and everyone's path is going to look different. I'm not sure of "most," but a lot of people have to apply during multiple cycles before they find their golden ticket.

I can't stress this enough: the application process for psychology PhD is idiosyncratic at best. Even tremendously qualified students will get rejected because there simply aren't enough spots to accept all of them. Your figure of 6 schools doesn't really matter so much as the quality of fit between you and that school and the professors you identified as potential mentors. Above all else, fit is the most important factor and personally I feel that is the difference between my first set of applications and my second. Furthermore, this is a really classist process and not everyone can afford to apply to 10-20 schools. Personally, I think this process needs an overhaul.

Now, it sounds like you still have a couple more schools left. Your luck may change! All you need is one interview. If, however, that doesn't happen, it's gonna suck, but just know that there's always next year! If this is what you want, you'll make it happen.

Great points made here. I only applied to two programs as I really focused on fit. This may prove to come back to haunt me as I've yet to hear anything. Spending too much time here will definitely stir up some negative emotion if youre still waiting. It has in my case and I always test very low in neuroticism. 

Hi everyone,

Like many of you, I recently created a profile to hopefully receive some updates from prospective students. I will include some information about myself below as well as the schools I've applied to.

Currently enrolled at Portland State University's Honors College

GPA: 3.94, Major GPA: 3.97

GRE: Qual: 151, Quan: 156, Verbal: 3.5 (I'm aware that these are extremely low)

Research: 2 years of experience, contracted on 2 different projects in which I played large roles

Independent Research: Honors College Thesis, Obtained IRB approval

Publications: One, Poster Presentations: Four, Oral Presentations: One

Recommendations: Four

Applying to....

• University of Louisville (Counseling Psych)
  • University of Houston (Clinical Psych)
  • University of Texas, Austin (Counseling Psych)
  • Florida International University (Clinical Psych)
  • USC (Clinical Psych)
  • Clark University (Clinical Psych)
  • Harvard University (Clinical Psych)

If anyone has heard back from these schools, I would really appreciate a response. I haven't received any sort of update from any of the seven schools listed. I can relate to everyone saying how riddled with anxiety they are and I truly wish you all the best during this (terrible) process :/

Edited by ClinicalPsychApp
Misspelling

School: University of Missouri - St. Louis

Type: PhD Clinical

Date of invite: 1/12/18

Type of invite: email 

Interview date(s): 2/2

The interview date conflicts with another one I already accepted :( why does everyone plan interviews on the same weekend!?!?

On 1/10/2018 at 4:18 PM, b_l91 said:

School: University of Houston

Type: PhD (Clinical, Adult)

Date of invite: 1/9/18

Type of invite: Email from POI, with a phone call made the following day

Interview date(s): 2/9-2/10

School: University of North Carolina Greensboro (UNCG)

Type: PhD (Clinical)

Date of invite: 1/10/18

Type of invite: Initial phone interview with POI, followed by an email two days later with an invitation to the formal interview days.

Interview date(s): 2/7 or 2/9

Would you mind responding with the initials of your POI at University of Houston? Greatly appreciated!

School: University of Connecticut (UCONN)

Type: PhD

Date of invite: 1/14

Type of invite: POI email

Interview date(s): 1/30 or 2/2

This was a big surprise, as POI is not as close of a fit as those at other programs and I thought that all invitations had been extended. I was actually searching the results page when I received the email!

On 1/13/2018 at 4:14 PM, ClinicalPsychApp said:

Hi everyone,

Like many of you, I recently created a profile to hopefully receive some updates from prospective students. I will include some information about myself below as well as the schools I've applied to.

Currently enrolled at Portland State University's Honors College

GPA: 3.94, Major GPA: 3.97

GRE: Qual: 151, Quan: 156, Verbal: 3.5 (I'm aware that these are extremely low)

Research: 2 years of experience, contracted on 2 different projects in which I played large roles

Independent Research: Honors College Thesis, Obtained IRB approval

Publications: One, Poster Presentations: Four, Oral Presentations: One

Recommendations: Four

Applying to....

• University of Louisville (Counseling Psych)
  • University of Houston (Clinical Psych)
  • University of Texas, Austin (Counseling Psych)
  • Florida International University (Clinical Psych)
  • USC (Clinical Psych)
  • Clark University (Clinical Psych)
  • Harvard University (Clinical Psych)

If anyone has heard back from these schools, I would really appreciate a response. I haven't received any sort of update from any of the seven schools listed. I can relate to everyone saying how riddled with anxiety they are and I truly wish you all the best during this (terrible) process :/

I was last round but I remember that USC notified by this time already. Harvard is not very forthcoming about the process so my best advice is to be optimistic but realistic particularly when considering the stats or their usual admitted student.

On 1/14/2018 at 3:55 PM, neuronfire94 said:

School: University of Connecticut (UCONN)

Type: PhD

Date of invite: 1/14

Type of invite: POI email

Interview date(s): 1/30 or 2/2

This was a big surprise, as POI is not as close of a fit as those at other programs and I thought that all invitations had been extended. I was actually searching the results page when I received the email!

Congratulations! Do you mind DMing the initials of your POI?