Tampa, FL

digits2006

Hey everyone! I was just accepted at the University of South Florida in Tampa. Has anyone gone to this school or attended the criminology department. This is my first acceptance so I do not know if I am going there yet, but would like to start researching the area.

Hey everyone! I was just accepted at the University of South Florida in Tampa. Has anyone gone to this school or attended the criminology department. This is my first acceptance so I do not know if I am going there yet, but would like to start researching the area.

I received my B.A. from USF in Dec of 07. The University is mostly a commuter campus and there are lots of apartment complexes around that cater to students. That being said, I would highly suggest not living in any of the complexes within two blocks of the University. While they do offer proximity, 1) the campus is too large to walk most days and 2) do you really want to have undergrad parties above and below you while trying to study?

Several of my friends and I lived in the Tampa Palms area which is roughly ten minutes North of campus on Bruce B. Downs Blvd. There are many apartment complexes and they tend to be much more quite and grown up. Having said that, you will expect to pay more for them. The one bedroom I rented in 2005-2007 was $790/mth. Hope it helps!

• 1 year later...

I'm going to bump this and hope we get some more replies... I was accepted to USF as well, and would love info about the Tampa area, campus, life as a graduate student there, and any other information you guys think would be helpful. Also, if I decide to attend USF (leaning heavily, haven't committed at this point), I will be moving there from Boston, so if anyone has moved to FL from NE and has some advice for someone used to only two or three months of warm weather a year, I'd really appreciate it!

• 4 weeks later...

Hello everyone!

I applied to USF, and might be moving to Tampa for grad school. I read the previous posts and it was helpful, but i wanted more info about the city life and safety. Tampa is a huge area and I don't mind living 10 min away from campus. My husband might go to U Tampa, and we are thinking to live somewhere in the middle. How is that area? I am looking for a 2 bed apartment in a quiet safe neighborhood with enough shops and restaurants around.

I live in San Francisco bay area, and I think living in Tampa is close to here in some ways.

Hope to hear your feedback, any info is appreciated! rolleyes.gif

• 10 months later...

I went to USF for undergrad and moved to Boston for grad school.

All I can offer is some advice on Tampa: if attending USF, live in Tampa palms. The commute is ten minutes except during such hour. Tampa is an extreme version of all of the coastal urban areas of FL: it's heavily populated in a mix of modern, upscale, cookie cutter apartments and condos and subdivisions, and suddenly (usually when you go inland past an interstate) it's country backwoods FL cracker land. This is not to say anything about old native Floridians.

Tampa has a bus system, but if you're used to even the worst public transit (some would say this is Boston, but I love the MBTA) Tampa will seem totally inaccessible. And if you have a car, it's still totally inaccessible. You son't want to walk because it's 95 degrees and 100 percent humidity at midnight, and when the sun is out it's blistering hot, and when it rains it's still humid and you're totally drenched. You can't ride a bike safely, non-corporate restaurants are few and far between and only sometimes good... Must I go on?

But I have to say that I loved USF and the faculty of the political science and philosophy departments. Driving on campus during peak times (and all the time during the firs two weeks of the semester) is terrible. Finding parking is terrible unless you have faculty/staff/gold-level/whatever permit, and these are more expensive than just using a helicopter to get to school. But if you can get to campus before 8:00 or even 7:30, you're good. THe best time there is the summer: despite the heat, the huge campus is nice with only 2,000 or so students around.

Please, don't be scared away from Tampa by my fear of suburban distopias and blistering heat.

P.s., You will notice right away that there is no disputing Tampa's claim to being home to the most strip clubs and adult toy stores per capita in the US.

I go to USF for undergrad now and I'm used to worse public transportation than Tampa has. We didn't have even a single bus route where I grew up, so Tampa is pretty stellar by my standards.

Finding parking on campus is definitely pretty bad, though. I usually just walk because the heat is really not that bad as long as you stay properly hydrated and it's only likely to be a half hour walk each way. I live right next to campus and I've never had any trouble with loud parties or anything like that.

I was born and raised in Florida and I've never lived in another state or even seen snow so I guess my perspective is different. I am kind of looking forward to most likely leaving Florida for graduate school, but I will miss the weather here.

As far as restaurants go, I'd recommend Tazza Cafe. It's very small but the food and the service are both excellent.

• 1 year later...

I am bumping this thread, since i am 95% sure I will be attending USF in the Fall! Can anyone offer any information on USF as a whole, the surrounding areas, things to do, and things to be cautious of?

Anything aside from parking :P. I am very used to parking being an issue (especially at my undergrad institution), so the thought doesn't drive me away. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi, everyone!

I went to USF for my undergrad, and I loved it. Everyone who said it's a commuter school is right, although I think USF is trying to change that. There are safe places to live near USF (I lived in Cambridge Woods Apartments 5 minutes from the campus and never had any problems), but there are also very sketchy places near campus, so be careful. If you're close enough to not have to drive your car to campus, that saves you a lot of time trying to maneuver the parking garages, which are always full. I would also second the fact that public transportation is absolutely horrible, especially in comparison to other major cities in the US.

Tampa has some really great areas, and lots of stuff to do for people with a variety of interests. It's not as close to the beach as it might seem if you're unfamiliar with the area, but it is close enough for an easy day trip. Ybor is lovely even if you're not into the club scene, and has really been cleaned up a lot in the past few years. There's not a lot to do downtown, but the Soho area has some great little shops and restaurants (the speakeasy is AMAZING and I cannot recommend it enough). Other than that, there's your more touristy (but still fun) stuff like Busch Gardens, Lowry Park Zoo, and the Aquarium.

Edited by gilmoregirl1010

Hi, everyone!

I went to USF for my undergrad, and I loved it. Everyone who said it's a commuter school is right, although I think USF is trying to change that. There are safe places to live near USF (I lived in Cambridge Woods Apartments 5 minutes from the campus and never had any problems), but there are also very sketchy places near campus, so be careful. If you're close enough to not have to drive your car to campus, that saves you a lot of time trying to maneuver the parking garages, which are always full. I would also second the fact that public transportation is absolutely horrible, especially in comparison to other major cities in the US.

Tampa has some really great areas, and lots of stuff to do for people with a variety of interests. It's not as close to the beach as it might seem if you're unfamiliar with the area, but it is close enough for an easy day trip. Ybor is lovely even if you're not into the club scene, and has really been cleaned up a lot in the past few years. There's not a lot to do downtown, but the Soho area has some great little shops and restaurants (the speakeasy is AMAZING and I cannot recommend it enough). Other than that, there's your more touristy (but still fun) stuff like Busch Gardens, Lowry Park Zoo, and the Aquarium.

Thank you!  I've been doing the apartment hunt remotely, but it's been difficult to judge how safe a place is from 1300 miles away.  I had heard that driving/parking is not really a uh...good idea, if it can be helped; this just solidified my choice to rent within biking/walking distance.

• 8 months later...

I talked to a grad student who said that it's possible to live off a $14.5k stipend for 9 or 10 months. I'm skeptical, since I pay $800 (with a roommate) in rent, and she said her rent was higher. Any thoughts about living on that stipend?

What would you all advise about living in graduate housing at USF? Would it be better to live in an apartment?

I personally don't live in graduate housing, and I can't think of anyone who does. There are a lot of apartments, a huge range in price/location/emenities so it really depends on what your budget is and what you're looking for as far as a living situation goes.

I quite like being off-campus and in an apartment, personally, and wouldnt want to stay on campus. It isn't for me.

How is it like studying at the University of South Florida? I am seriously considering to study Criminalistics there

I love the library access, the campus, and the department that I'm in. I've had nothing but good experiences--though I'm not familiar with the department you'd be studying with. I suggest looking up a few current graduate students on the department website; send an email with some questions you might have.

I talked to a grad student who said that it's possible to live off a $14.5k stipend for 9 or 10 months. I'm skeptical, since I pay $800 (with a roommate) in rent, and she said her rent was higher. Any thoughts about living on that stipend?

You could probably squeak by, but you won't be living in a particularly nice place (unless you get roommates), but it wouldnt allow for unusual expenses like conference expenses that may not be covered by your department, work in summer may not be garanteed (it isn't, for my department), etc. My rent is $650 (inclues water, trash) but I live in a tiny one bedroom. My stipend isn't quite so high as that, so I took out loans to cover things just in case. Glad I did!

I suggest doing a budget for the area, see how you'd fare for what you want/need. You'll get a much better idea.

• 11 months later...

Moffitt's a pretty good place to be from what I hear.  I currently work in the Psychiatry and Neurosciences department, so I can't speak to Moffitt first-hand, but I hear good things.  

The city isn't too bad, but I don't actually live in Tampa, so I can't speak too first-hand on that either.  I do know that there are some areas that are fairly rough on the edges, but there are some pretty safe areas as well, so not unlike most college towns/areas.  Tampa isn't a college town though, and as such there are plenty of nice places to live if you don't mind the commute, which is what most people do anyway.  I live in St. Petersburg on the Gulf... which I love.  It's beautiful and worth the 45 minute drive if you want to live on the water.  Of course, you can live near water all over the place, what with the bay and all of the retention ponds around.  

All in all, its a pretty cool place to be.  

Moffitt's a pretty good place to be from what I hear.  I currently work in the Psychiatry and Neurosciences department, so I can't speak to Moffitt first-hand, but I hear good things.  

The city isn't too bad, but I don't actually live in Tampa, so I can't speak too first-hand on that either.  I do know that there are some areas that are fairly rough on the edges, but there are some pretty safe areas as well, so not unlike most college towns/areas.  Tampa isn't a college town though, and as such there are plenty of nice places to live if you don't mind the commute, which is what most people do anyway.  I live in St. Petersburg on the Gulf... which I love.  It's beautiful and worth the 45 minute drive if you want to live on the water.  Of course, you can live near water all over the place, what with the bay and all of the retention ponds around.  

All in all, its a pretty cool place to be.

I'm glad to hear that! When I visited the area, the students all say they lived in St Pete or New Tampa. How reasonable or inflated are home prices/rentals on the water? I imagine it would be hard to live there without a roommate. How's the weather and the bugs? Serious question lol. I am fine with roaches but can't handle spiders.

I have been at USF in Public Health for 2 years. I live in downtown St. Pete on the edge of the USFSP campus. I love being 2 blocks from the water, walk to the grocery store, bars, restaurants, parking isn't awful, always things to do. Tampa, near the university, kinda sucks. Its busy and stripmall after stripmall. And traffic can be ridiculous, granted commuting across the bridge can be a nightmare. I would think if you need to be on campus 4+ days a week, I would tend to live in Tampa somewhere. You will not lose 45-60 mins twice a day and you can go to more social stuff. I chose to live in St. Pete because my girlfriend got a job at the local hospital and I knew people here.

The weather is awesome coming from Ohio. April-September expect it to be very humid, hot (90-95) and rain daily. Heavy rain. September-Dec (60-70s) cools off and humidity drops out. Jan-March is similar to Sept-Dec but cooler (coldest has been 36, high has been 88). Sun nearly every day. Add 5-10 degrees if you live near the university and away from the water. And there are lizards, ants, cockroaches, mosquitos, noseeums, and spiders everywhere. Its a fact of life here. I have a newer apartment and I havent seen any of the aformentioned pests inside. I lived in a house last year and we had minor roach and ant problem (they are naturally occuring in the sandy soil). We mitigated by keeping it clean, and taking out trash often and using traps. I havent seen a ton of spiders, but when I do, those things are huge! I would worry most about lizards (outside) and roaches (inside).

• 3 weeks later...

considering moving here for grad school at USF in the fall.  I am from the midwest so the weather is one of the things drawing me to move here! Other than that, can anyone recommend specific neighborhood areas or apartments to look into renting? I know nothing about the area but am visiting hopefully within the next month and would like to drive by and check out some places. thanks!

considering moving here for grad school at USF in the fall. I am from the midwest so the weather is one of the things drawing me to move here! Other than that, can anyone recommend specific neighborhood areas or apartments to look into renting? I know nothing about the area but am visiting hopefully within the next month and would like to drive by and check out some places. thanks!

Me too! I just accepted my offer at USF. My name is Lauren, too! We should be roommates! Jk... But seriously. I'm from Ohio and the weather is a huge deal for me, too!

Edited by MidwesternAloha

considering moving here for grad school at USF in the fall.  I am from the midwest so the weather is one of the things drawing me to move here! Other than that, can anyone recommend specific neighborhood areas or apartments to look into renting? I know nothing about the area but am visiting hopefully within the next month and would like to drive by and check out some places. thanks!

Hey! How did you like it so far at USF and Tampa? Did you find a place? I am considering moving there this summer and looking for options. Any advice would be appreciated.  

I'm wondering the same things! Haha sorry I'm no help- I just got accepted and haven't visited yet.

Hey! How did you like it so far at USF and Tampa? Did you find a place? I am considering moving there this summer and looking for options. Any advice would be appreciated.

Haha no way what a coincidence! So have you visited the program yet? What helped you decide? I'm torn!

Me too! I just accepted my offer at USF. My name is Lauren, too! We should be roommates! Jk... But seriously. I'm from Ohio and the weather is a huge deal for me, too!

Hi everyone!

I am a Graduate student in my first year.  I currently live in an apartment in New Tampa, which is about 10-15 minutes north of campus and is a much nicer and safer area.  My roommate is moving out, and I am looking for someone to move in at the end of summer.  I would prefer a Graduate student, because graduate life is crazy and I would like a quiet roommate.  I would love to send pictures of my place and provide more information to anyone who is interested.

Thanks!

Megan R.