Sociology Scholars and Briggs Myer Personality Types

lorenzen

I've taken this and others before and while I typically test as INFP, I'm actually INTP according to a career counselor I worked with. My F, and T are about 50/50 but after I looked into the descriptions I really am INTP. I think I just test as INFP because I developed my F so much from having done volunteer work, undergoing a health major, and great friends who've helped me. Still interesting with everyone sharing the N so far. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/10/2017 at 12:05 AM, MintChocoChip said:

I've taken this and others before and while I typically test as INFP, I'm actually INTP according to a career counselor I worked with. My F, and T are about 50/50 but after I looked into the descriptions I really am INTP. I think I just test as INFP because I developed my F so much from having done volunteer work, undergoing a health major, and great friends who've helped me. Still interesting with everyone sharing the N so far. 

I’ve got almost the same thing going on, but I always score INTP and I believe I’m INFP based on the description. I think I scored like 7 on T so I’m basically right in the middle as well.

I thought it was funny that in the description is said jobs not for 'commanders' are mid-level administrative jobs with no power - that's what I do, lol. Commander, or ENTJ, certainly has strengths that are benefits, but they come with a lack of empathy, or social intuition that can be somewhat of a handicap. I'm working on it. It certainly does help me achieve at academia, so hopefully the admit committees will see that ;-)

On 12/27/2017 at 3:09 PM, Ryanrichmond said:

I’ve got almost the same thing going on, but I always score INTP and I believe I’m INFP based on the description. I think I scored like 7 on T so I’m basically right in the middle as well.

That's really cool and interesting that you got the flip side of what happens to me. 

Also, I think everyone still has the N so far. 

6 hours ago, MintChocoChip said:

That's really cool and interesting that you got the flip side of what happens to me. 

Also, I think everyone still has the N so far. 

It's intriguing that everyone has an N so far. I wonder if it has something to do with the "Sociological Imagination" and what that it takes to have that. It would be interesting to see if we were all Ns throughout our lives or if we moved towards N after we learned more about sociology.

I am either an ISTP or an ISTJ. My P and J scores are always approximate 50-50. My S and N scores are close, but more like 45-55 split towards S. I'm not sure a greater than 50 percent N score can be characterized solely as a proxy for having sociological imagination. The sample size is too small and probably we have things in common as we self-selected to be on GC and then to take the test.

To offer some anecdotal evidence, I've had a very turbulent life and I prefer stability. Even when I lived like a nomad and was doing research in three different countries for a year during junior year, I had planned it that way. As in, I finished my freshman year and planned that I would get a fellowship to research abroad for fall and winter semesters and then a research internship for the summer.

Edited by qeta

ENFP-T "The Campaigner." I enjoy taking these but I think they are probably slightly better psychometric devices than the horoscope in the paper. They share the same vague could apply to anyone analysis for a start. My results are also rarely consistent from day to day. Some questions are also difficult for me to answer as I cannot imagine myself in the hypothetical situation the question asks me to envision. For example "Do I get lost walking in nature?" Um, I am not exactly the outdoorsy type. Do I get lost? You bet. But I am more likely to get lost in a library or even my own house. Also the note on this particular test not to go with middle answers tells me they have a problem with a lot of neutral answers which is an indication to me that the instrument is at fault - not the respondents. 

My biggest issue is probably that Meyers Briggs makes a dichotomous distinction between feeling and thinking. What is the difference? How do you tell them apart? 

Do y'all think these tests illuminate something about sociologist users here or no? 

17 hours ago, RoxieB said:

ENFP-T "The Campaigner." I enjoy taking these but I think they are probably slightly better psychometric devices than the horoscope in the paper. They share the same vague could apply to anyone analysis for a start. My results are also rarely consistent from day to day. Some questions are also difficult for me to answer as I cannot imagine myself in the hypothetical situation the question asks me to envision. For example "Do I get lost walking in nature?" Um, I am not exactly the outdoorsy type. Do I get lost? You bet. But I am more likely to get lost in a library or even my own house. Also the note on this particular test not to go with middle answers tells me they have a problem with a lot of neutral answers which is an indication to me that the instrument is at fault - not the respondents. 

My biggest issue is probably that Meyers Briggs makes a dichotomous distinction between feeling and thinking. What is the difference? How do you tell them apart? 

Do y'all think these tests illuminate something about sociologist users here or no? 

While I think these tests are fun and can sometimes be a good starting point on getting to know yourself, I don't think the results are always accurate or at least they are not always stable. I myself never get my actual type from these tests (went through a whole career counseling process to figure that out). I agree that some of the questions were difficult to answer since I also interpret things differently. I would not use this test to determine what to do in life though. I just think it's useful as a start to figure yourself out.

I have no idea whether these tests would say anything about the sociologists here, but I'm intrigued to see the results as they come.

Also, for your example question, it makes me wonder whether the wording can be an issue. I interpreted that one as asking if you are someone who loves nature and therefore doesn't mind "getting lost" in it. Kind of like when someone gets into the flow of work/hobbies that they love. However, I can also see it as asking if you are someone who actually gets lost if you were to go through the wilderness.

1 hour ago, syza said:

Got "LOGICIAN (INTP-A)." Sounds about right. :P 

Hey! Another INTP! Apparently we're quite rare too so it's awesome to find another. :)

I just had to retake this one. The one I reported last month was from a singles class I took at church. Lo and behold, I got similar results...ENFJ - "THE PROTAGONIST" 

Lol.

On 1/6/2018 at 8:58 PM, MintChocoChip said:

Hey! Another INTP! Apparently we're quite rare too so it's awesome to find another. :)

Yeah we are apparently 3% of the population. Would be interesting to meet one in person as I haven't meet that many people with a similar personality.

On 1/10/2018 at 10:36 PM, syza said:

Yeah we are apparently 3% of the population. Would be interesting to meet one in person as I haven't meet that many people with a similar personality.

Yeah! It would be cool. Do we have any schools that overlap between us? I think we're both applying to U Wisconsin Madison but I don't remember anything else.

18 hours ago, MintChocoChip said:

Yeah! It would be cool. Do we have any schools that overlap between us? I think we're both applying to U Wisconsin Madison but I don't remember anything else.

I applied to UMW, UM, UC Berkeley, and UPennn. What about you? 

6 hours ago, syza said:

I applied to UMW, UM, UC Berkeley, and UPennn. What about you? 

It seems we only have UWM in common. I applied to Rutgers, UCSF, UCSD, UWM, UNM, Vanderbilt, Yale, U of Iowa, Colorado Boulder, and Indiana Bloomington.