Sociology Scholars and Briggs Myer Personality Types

lorenzen

On 1/15/2018 at 10:08 PM, MintChocoChip said:

It seems we only have UWM in common. I applied to Rutgers, UCSF, UCSD, UWM, UNM, Vanderbilt, Yale, U of Iowa, Colorado Boulder, and Indiana Bloomington. 

I was strongly considering UCSD, Vanderbilt, Yale, and Indiana-B cos of their great emphasis on the sociology of health. I ultimately decided to narrow my applications though cos of time and $$$ issues. Now I think that perhaps I should gave applied for more soc programs. Oh well! Let's hope it works out well for both of us. :) 

On 1/16/2018 at 10:24 PM, syza said:

I was strongly considering UCSD, Vanderbilt, Yale, and Indiana-B cos of their great emphasis on the sociology of health. I ultimately decided to narrow my applications though cos of time and $$$ issues. Now I think that perhaps I should gave applied for more soc programs. Oh well! Let's hope it works out well for both of us. :) 

Yes let's hope it works out for both of us! :) 

Did anyone else try the personality types quiz yet or take it again? 

On 1/7/2018 at 1:32 PM, pinoysoc said:

I just had to retake this one. The one I reported last month was from a singles class I took at church. Lo and behold, I got similar results...ENFJ - "THE PROTAGONIST" 

Lol.

I got this one too! ENFJ -A/-T "The Protagonist."  Says the personality type is found in about 2% of the population. Neato burrito.

https://www.bustle.com/p/the-best-way-to-deal-with-stress-based-on-your-myers-briggs-personality-type-7815246

Found this awhile ago but forgot to post it here. It's a link to ways to deal with stress based on your Myers-Briggs type. Hope this helps anyone stressing out! I bet you can probably do any of them even if they aren't matched with your Myers-Briggs personality type, but it's cool to have some ideas of things to do to deal with stress. I think it's spot on for me as INTP though except for less interest in theories. I noticed that whenever I solve something I feel really happy and I love doing jigsaw puzzles. 

On 1/24/2018 at 2:09 PM, travelmug1Q84 said:

I got this one too! ENFJ -A/-T "The Protagonist."  Says the personality type is found in about 2% of the population. Neato burrito.

Yes!!! I've been having a hard time meeting other ENFJs! Lol.

• 2 months later...
On 12/29/2017 at 8:20 PM, qeta said:

I am either an ISTP or an ISTJ. My P and J scores are always approximate 50-50. My S and N scores are close, but more like 45-55 split towards S. I'm not sure a greater than 50 percent N score can be characterized solely as a proxy for having sociological imagination. The sample size is too small and probably we have things in common as we self-selected to be on GC and then to take the test.

To offer some anecdotal evidence, I've had a very turbulent life and I prefer stability. Even when I lived like a nomad and was doing research in three different countries for a year during junior year, I had planned it that way. As in, I finished my freshman year and planned that I would get a fellowship to research abroad for fall and winter semesters and then a research internship for the summer.

May I ask what your research interests are? I am curious! 

My closest friend is an ISTJ and he is an extremely disciplined person with a good sense between right and wrong and is someone people can depend on. If you are anything like that, you would be a good person to have in a department. In a sea of "Intuitives" who dream a lot and get pretty lost in the clouds of thought, Sensing types can bring us down to earth and show us how to put policy into practice, make sure deadlines are followed, and conduct research with a rigorous eye for detail.

Or all of that which I wrote above could be B.S.!!! In either case, I do have a lot of fun with personality theory and I believe it can help us understand differences in schools and work places. 

I am going to state the following as a theory:  NF types ( Enfp, Infp, Enfj, Infj) are "bleeding heart" types in sociology who are the ones specializing in land conservation and water rights, native american issues, social justice, racism....

As an INFP, sociology is very attractive because of the possibility of helping the disadvantaged through research and public policy.

On 4/23/2018 at 8:24 AM, lorenzen said:

May I ask what your research interests are? I am curious! 

My closest friend is an ISTJ and he is an extremely disciplined person with a good sense between right and wrong and is someone people can depend on. If you are anything like that, you would be a good person to have in a department. In a sea of "Intuitives" who dream a lot and get pretty lost in the clouds of thought, Sensing types can bring us down to earth and show us how to put policy into practice, make sure deadlines are followed, and conduct research with a rigorous eye for detail.

Or all of that which I wrote above could be B.S.!!! In either case, I do have a lot of fun with personality theory and I believe it can help us understand differences in schools and work places. 

My research interests revolve around the co-formation and co-articulation of class, caste, ethnicity, and race over time and space in South Asia. I do a lot of thinking along the same lines in terms of North America and immigration/ racialization/ class formation as well and just started an additional project on the South Asian diaspora in North America (exciting, as well as terrifying even with a co-author!!). What do you work on?

I've never met a deadline I couldn't find a way to disregard, so I wish you were right about that aspect! But readers of my thesis and other writings generally comment that I'm a rigorous and careful scholar. My search for rigor often drives me nuts, so I get lost too - just in empirical details and the nitty-gritty of research design. You are also right about the praxis part: the real-world implications of my projects are generally the first to pop into my mind and sometimes I work backwards from policy implications to establishing puzzle too. But I really wish you were right about the deadlines, lol.