GEM Fellowship 2018

CosmicLion

Hello fellow GEM applicants,

I wanted to start a forum for the 2017 application pool, so that we can update each other on our progress of acceptance/declines/employee status for a sense of the schedule. It should help clear up any lagging notifications and hopefully answer some questions!

Here is the link to a few of the past years of these discussions:

GEM 2017

GEM 2016

GEM 2015

GEM 2014

By now, some applicants should have received notification via email on whether they have moved to the next round or were accepted (In the FAQs, Q10 states that "a handful of candidates have been selected already"). 

6 hours ago, Lackawanna said:

I applied as well and my employer status says released, so I'm not sure what that means. 

From what I read, "released," means a company was reviewing your application and decided to go with another applicant.  

14 hours ago, collegesista said:

Anybody know how to get a full list of employers or see your submitted application? I vaguely remember Amazon being one of the choices on my application but don't see them anywhere on GEM's official list.

http://www.gemfellowship.org/employers/employer-members/

I recently had my Employer Member Status change from "matched" to "held" I have no idea what that means.

I also emailed the GEM people and got a small response, didnt help much but here it is.

"Thank you for contacting us at The National GEM Consortium.  With regard to your MATCHED employer status, GEM Employers are actively reaching out to Complete 2018 GEM applicants right now. Please make sure your voicemail is updated with a professional outgoing message. Please respond within 24 hours to any requests for an interview or other GEM Employer inquiries. You will see your homepage Employer status change from held, unmatched, to matched, to released as your application is previewed by several Employers. Do not be concerned with this status.

All GEM Employers can see your application and will outreach to interview, if potentially interested in sponsoring you as a GEM Fellow.  Please be reminded, the employers select you, you do not select the employer.  You are encouraged to interview with all employers outreaching to you, as you do not know who you are held by or matched with.  Remember, this is an opportunity to be fully funded through your graduate STEM degree.  The internship is for a 10-12 week period and there is no obligation beyond the required internship(s) to remain with an employer or for an employer to continue to engage or employ your beyond the fellowship internship commitment.  This means, if you are not selected by your top pick employer, be mindful of the support opportunity and that if you decline the internship, you are declining the fellowship.

Thank you,

The National GEM Consortium"

On the call this week, I think they mentioned that we could reach out to GEM employers we are interested in as well. Just wondering if anyone has done that or plans on doing that. Based on the email posted by EngineerAlvara, it seems like maybe we just wait for the employers to reach out to us instead...

I reached out to some employers but still haven't heard back. I'm not too pressed until January as its the end of the year and GEM said a lot of companies are more busy just handling end of year procedures than selecting their GEM students.

On 12/11/2017 at 9:12 AM, GradShift said:

In my application, I submitted Merck as one of my employer preferences, but I don't see them anywhere on the GEM website...I don't think that list is complete.

Same, I thought I was going crazy or something. I'll email them to see why Amazon isn't listed on their website

Went from 'matched' to 'held', been on 'held' status for about a week now, finally got an email from a company regarding an interview. It wasn't any of the ones I listed but that's ok. Hoping it goes well.

Best of luck guys!

Edited by strawberrykat

23 hours ago, SalomeJ said:

Do you guys know if there is a maximum number of schools we can apply to? I believe I heard 10 somewhere. But does that mean that we can not apply to more? or that we have to select 10 for the fellowship.

Thanks

I don't think so, I'm applying to 13 but only 11 are partner schools. 

Applying for CS Masters programs.  My status went from held to released to matched twice, with no employer contact, in December and back to matched a couple days ago.  I got a GEM employer email today without my status changing from "Matched".  So, don't treat the info we know about status as gospel.  You just might get reached out to without a status change.

Edited by college3817

I was on matched for a little while and I’ve been on held for the past several weeks. Haven’t heard from any employers though, hoping I’ll get contacted soon

2 hours ago, wdb17 said:

I was on matched for a little while and I’ve been on held for the past several weeks. Haven’t heard from any employers though, hoping I’ll get contacted soon

Same here. Have you reached out to any employers? I am thinking of doing so if I don't hear from any by the end of next week.

40 minutes ago, cabbysaurus said:

Same here. Have you reached out to any employers? I am thinking of doing so if I don't hear from any by the end of next week.

I have not yet, that would probably be a good idea though. Definitely wouldn't hurt, I don't think.