GEM Fellowship 2018

CosmicLion

7 minutes ago, balaenopter_a said:

I reached out to employers but didn't hear from the ones I reached out to, however a different company has been in contact with me since december.

Are we just supposed to contact the employer representative through the GEM site? Or are we supposed to contact someone else from the company? I can't quite remember what they said in that regard during the call, and I imagine these employer representatives' emails are getting blown up during this time.

On 1/11/2018 at 6:21 PM, wdb17 said:

Are we just supposed to contact the employer representative through the GEM site? Or are we supposed to contact someone else from the company? I can't quite remember what they said in that regard during the call, and I imagine these employer representatives' emails are getting blown up during this time.

So, from what I understand there are three ways to contact the GEM employers. 

1. GEM Portal
  2. Apply to the company for any position
  3. Find the GEM positions with those companies and apply

I did all three.

5 hours ago, EngineerAlvara said:

So, from what I understand there are three ways to contact the GEM employers. 

1. GEM Portal
  2. Apply to the company for any position
  3. Find the GEM positions with those companies and apply

I did all three.

Thanks! Have you had any luck after doing that? I'm not sure how to go about finding the GEM positions within the company.

@wdb17I don't think there are "GEM positions" but if you go to 

GEM -> Employers -> Employer Members -> click on employer name then you can write an email through the website. That's how I did it but like I said none of the people I contacted through that way replied back to me.

In regards to the general fellowship the employer I was contacted by said that they're going to be going forward with selecting me as one of their GEM fellows. In terms of stats I am pretty average @STEMinist 3.54 GPA, 161 Quant, 162 Verbal, 5.5 Writing, 1 REU experience, 2 internships. No publications. I have worked on campus as a tutor and teaching assistant also.

2 hours ago, balaenopter_a said:

@wdb17I don't think there are "GEM positions" but if you go to 

GEM -> Employers -> Employer Members -> click on employer name then you can write an email through the website. That's how I did it but like I said none of the people I contacted through that way replied back to me.

In regards to the general fellowship the employer I was contacted by said that they're going to be going forward with selecting me as one of their GEM fellows. In terms of stats I am pretty average @STEMinist 3.54 GPA, 161 Quant, 162 Verbal, 5.5 Writing, 1 REU experience, 2 internships. No publications. I have worked on campus as a tutor and teaching assistant also.

Wow congrats!! Mind telling the company that took you in?

Does anyone know if there are any limitations on in Employers in terms of the HELD status? Like if there's a limit on how many students a company can hold at a given time? I've been on HELD since nearly the beginning, and to my understanding, my application is not viewable to other companies because the HELD status removes you from the applicant pool. I'd hate for the company who is holding me to have held a bunch of other students as well and then wait until March or April to make decisions. At that point, I feel like it would be too late for those who didn't make the cut.

@wdb17 I think you can call or email GEM they would be able to best tell you your next step options

@polyxcrunner I think University / Associate Fellows would be after all the employers have selected their students so all the way through june at the latest. However this is just a guess you could also call GEM.

@wdb17 I actually was in the same situation. My status was 'held' for over a month, I had an interview, wasn't selected for the position, and was still on 'held' status. So I emailed GEM today because I wanted to make sure that that company hadn't just forgotten to release me and I was worried it would compromise my chances with other companies. They replied and basically reiterated what they have said before about statuses, but also said that you apparently remain visible despite your status. Here is a direct quote:

Thank you for contacting us at The National GEM Consortium. You will see your homepage Employer status change from unmatched, to matched, to released, to held as your application is previewed by several Employers. Do not be concerned with this status.  All employers can still review all applicants at anytime.

Thank you,                                            
The National GEM Consortium

On 1/24/2018 at 8:05 PM, strawberrykat said:

@wdb17 I actually was in the same situation. My status was 'held' for over a month, I had an interview, wasn't selected for the position, and was still on 'held' status. So I emailed GEM today because I wanted to make sure that that company hadn't just forgotten to release me and I was worried it would compromise my chances with other companies. They replied and basically reiterated what they have said before about statuses, but also said that you apparently remain visible despite your status. Here is a direct quote:

Thank you for contacting us at The National GEM Consortium. You will see your homepage Employer status change from unmatched, to matched, to released, to held as your application is previewed by several Employers. Do not be concerned with this status.  All employers can still review all applicants at anytime.

Thank you,                                            
The National GEM Consortium

Kind of unrelated but I see you got accepted to Northwestern for Environmental Engineering, I haven't gotten accepted yet, but they are flying me out, I didn't have to pay for anything, to meet faculty for the CEE Open House, should I be concerned?

Hey everyone I have a question regarding the Associate Fellowship.

My current potential advisor has said my acceptance is being stalled because they are trying to secure funding for me. If I was awarded the Associate Fellow I know that the participating university would sponsor me, but where would the money actually be coming from?

Would my advisors research group need to provide that guaranteed money, or would the board of the university provide it? 

Hey so when a GEM employer member contacts you do they mention that it is concerning the GEM fellowship? My employer status is on "held" and this week I was contacted by intel about a summer internship but they didn't mention GEM.

18 hours ago, dmg16 said:

Hey so when a GEM employer member contacts you do they mention that it is concerning the GEM fellowship? My employer status is on "held" and this week I was contacted by intel about a summer internship but they didn't mention GEM.

My interview email mentioned GEM, but when I was interviewed that person interviewing me was not actually that familiar with the fellowship, I was contacted by a middle man university recruit that set up the interview, so that may be why.