GEM Fellowship 2018

CosmicLion

On 2/3/2018 at 5:32 PM, dmg16 said:

Hey so when a GEM employer member contacts you do they mention that it is concerning the GEM fellowship? My employer status is on "held" and this week I was contacted by intel about a summer internship but they didn't mention GEM.

I don't think so. Intel contacted me in December and it was very general. It didn't even mention "summer", so I assumed it was for full time.

Hi guys, I actually had two questions I was hoping people could help me with.

The first: Do you know if employers are still making internship decisions? My application status for employers has been "released" for some time, and I'm not sure whether I should be concerned or not (or what the best methods might be to go about making myself a more attractive candidate).

And then second: For school acceptances for the people that have been accepted by GEM schools, did your acceptance letter actually say that you got funding from GEM? I ask because I've gotten an acceptance from one of the schools with funding, but there was no mention of the GEM fellowship, and I am unsure of whether I should let them know my decision by the March deadline or the normal April 15th standard for grad students.

Hey guys,

I just got an employer offer this morning! I wanted to share a couple of things about my experience. Last Friday, late night EST time, I got an email from a PST associate professor about a "GEM Fellowship Sponsorship, "CompanyName" and _____  University". Mind you, I didn't apply to this university and it is well past the deadline for applying to schools so I set up a Skype Interview later with him  this week for clarification. This morning, when I logged in to my GEM account it said I was selected to be sponsored by "CompanyName" (even though I haven't interviewed with that professor yet). Also note that, I never interviewed/received any calls or prior emails(other than the professor) from this company before the notification.

The FAQ we got in November said most employers should be done reaching out by now. But the rejected letters officially go out March 16 so don't lose hope just yet ~ 

16 hours ago, applestrudel said:

The first: Do you know if employers are still making internship decisions? My application status for employers has been "released" for some time, and I'm not sure whether I should be concerned or not (or what the best methods might be to go about making myself a more attractive candidate).

And then second: For school acceptances for the people that have been accepted by GEM schools, did your acceptance letter actually say that you got funding from GEM? I ask because I've gotten an acceptance from one of the schools with funding, but there was no mention of the GEM fellowship, and I am unsure of whether I should let them know my decision by the March deadline or the normal April 15th standard for grad students.

I received nothing about funding from any of the schools I was accepted to. I got a message on my GEM profile after the employer offer that said "one or more schools was interested in funding me" but did not specify which one

17 hours ago, applestrudel said:

From the information I received, starting February 16th, schools will notify whether or not they will sponsor you as a GEM Fellow and on the website portal it will begin to change to "Accepted" but my guess is if they already offered you funding then they should have no problem with you being a GEM Fellow or Associate Fellow considering GEM only contributes 16K for the first year for PhD and 16K for the entirety of a masters degree. 

19 hours ago, applestrudel said:

I have been on "Held" for a couple of weeks now, if that means anything. So some employers may still be looking for candidates

7 hours ago, STEMinist said:

From the information I received, starting February 16th, schools will notify whether or not they will sponsor you as a GEM Fellow and on the website portal it will begin to change to "Accepted" but my guess is if they already offered you funding then they should have no problem with you being a GEM Fellow or Associate Fellow considering GEM only contributes 16K for the first year for PhD and 16K for the entirety of a masters degree. 

So @STEMinist, if I understand correctly, we should know whether we've been accepted with funding or rejected from all the schools we applied to by Feb 16th? I applied to 10 and there are still some that haven't updated their status as applied. Thank you!

5 minutes ago, Elephas said:

@laveritecestla it wouldn't hurt to reach out to GEM as in the past they notified me of an employer indicating that they'd call me and they also would know if that organization has already filled their spots. 

Cool, I just emailed them so we'll see what's up. Thanks!

Hey all,

My status has been set as accepted for about a month now and I am just now interviewing soon. Anyone know what that means? It says technical interview so I’m wondering if my status can still be changed from accepted to released...

Wish me luck in my interview  

On 1/16/2018 at 6:30 PM, wdb17 said:

Thanks! Have you had any luck after doing that? I'm not sure how to go about finding the GEM positions within the company.

Hey, yes actually I got a lot of responses. It is a matter of persistence and making sure you actually initiate good first contact.

On 1/26/2018 at 6:50 PM, aldburg said:

Does anyone know how the University funded GEM fellowships work? If we don't get an Employer, is it up to the university whether to offer a University / Associate Fellowship or not?

Yes, it is up to the university. But for me what happened was I found a university that was already going to give me the funding and then I told GEM and they just listed me as a GEM Associate Fellow.

On 2/20/2018 at 9:15 PM, EngineerAlvara said:

Yes, it is up to the university. But for me what happened was I found a university that was already going to give me the funding and then I told GEM and they just listed me as a GEM Associate Fellow.

Did that university originally offer you full funding?

On the GEM website that there is a column for offers next to the "Applicant Self Report Status" column. If the university is willing to fund us, will that offer only show up there?

Long time reader first time poster. Appreciate all of the updates and congrats to anyone who has been accepted for a full fellowship with an employer and to their respective programs.

I wanted to double check with anyone here to see if I misinterpreted things. The process to become a University or Associate Fellow somewhat makes sense. We get accepted by a University. The GEM Program can offer us a University or Associate Fellowship. The University can then accept us as a GEM Fellow. However, I am wondering if there is a certain timeline for this. Is there a deadline to declare on the GEM Portal which University you plan to attend? From the information provided it seems like there is one for mid-March. For example, if a University does not make you aware of their decision until late March but the deadline to let GEM know your school of choice is mid-March what should you do?

I have been accepted to about half of the programs I have applied to which are partner schools but haven't heard back from anyone else yet. One of them is unlikely but is still one of my top choice programs. Any information would be helpful. I could be misunderstanding something very simple but I've read over things and still am not confident. Thought I would ask you guys before contacting GEM. Thanks!

On 2/26/2018 at 1:53 PM, MagicMan said:

Long time reader first time poster. Appreciate all of the updates and congrats to anyone who has been accepted for a full fellowship with an employer and to their respective programs.

I wanted to double check with anyone here to see if I misinterpreted things. The process to become a University or Associate Fellow somewhat makes sense. We get accepted by a University. The GEM Program can offer us a University or Associate Fellowship. The University can then accept us as a GEM Fellow. However, I am wondering if there is a certain timeline for this. Is there a deadline to declare on the GEM Portal which University you plan to attend? From the information provided it seems like there is one for mid-March. For example, if a University does not make you aware of their decision until late March but the deadline to let GEM know your school of choice is mid-March what should you do?

I have been accepted to about half of the programs I have applied to which are partner schools but haven't heard back from anyone else yet. One of them is unlikely but is still one of my top choice programs. Any information would be helpful. I could be misunderstanding something very simple but I've read over things and still am not confident. Thought I would ask you guys before contacting GEM. Thanks!

You're not the only one confused on how the University or Associate Fellowship works.

On 2/26/2018 at 4:53 PM, MagicMan said:

I'm not 100% sure and I do believe GEM is the best person to contact and get the facts, but for me I was told March 15th for school decision on the GEM portal. If you reach out to the university representative they are the people who in the system say whether or not the university is willing to admit you as one of their GEM Fellows. So they are likely to be the same person you could ask if the university would be willing to sponsor you as an associate / fellow. If the acceptance timeline is after this deadline again you could contact the GEM rep at the university and they may know the appropriate procedure.

I assume that by this time, most employers have made their selections. However, this week my status changed from released to matched again and I was a little surprised because it feels very late in the game for this. Does anyone know if there are still GEM employers looking for fellows?? 

11 hours ago, strawberrykat said:

I assume that by this time, most employers have made their selections. However, this week my status changed from released to matched again and I was a little surprised because it feels very late in the game for this. Does anyone know if there are still GEM employers looking for fellows?? 

I was just placed on HELD status again a couple weeks ago, and I have not been contacted by an employer yet. I wasn’t contacted the first time I was on that status, and it remained for about a month. I’m hoping I’ll get a call or email soon. Who knows!

18 hours ago, college3817 said:

Should we start emailing GEM University reps for a status update? Anyone already done so? The deadline is approaching...

I think that's a good idea. I probably need to do that as well since I accepted a summer offer with a non-GEM employer

So I have an internship offer from a non-GEM employer, and my status is "released" in the portal. I called GEM to determine if I have an imminent employer offer or not and got the following feedback: they only know an employer is going to make an offer when they make an offer. They told me the typical timeline is end of February for when they stop making offers, but as of today (Mon, 3/5) employers are still making offer. I was also told that your employer status in the portal doesn't mean anything.

I emailed a GEM school rep recently and they said they'd be willing to support me but can't do anything in the system until I officially commit and indicate that in the portal, however another school just changed my status without me selecting them as the institution I will be attending so I think emailing the specific school(s) of interest is always a good idea so they have a heads up that you may be submitting for them in the upcoming weeks.