Super nervous about my chances of being admitted. How did you all get through waiting on university decisions?

Oli150

Lol I just got a free months trial of Netflix and haven't been able to watch any of the popular shows until now so, I'm going to binge watch them all starting now. Hopefully this works, I'm also still trying to get a job so I have other matters to worry about. Good luck though 

Job applications and other work responsibilities mostly. I was actively applying and interviewing for non-grad school back-up plans. I also continued reading academic literature within my research interests, etc., to prepare for academic interviews. 

It was honestly easier (but by no ways easy) waiting for the grad decisions than company promotional decisions because there are more tangible career-driven tasks I can occupy myself with. 

Learn a new hobby, don't let yourself obsessively check things, focus on a new pub, savor the free time you have now to spend extra time with friends/family since that will go out the window when you start grad school

Well this is my first year applying, but I've been binge-watching Grey's Anatomy on Netflix (it's what got me through application season too so I didn't explode with stress). I go to dance once a week, and I've been prepping to bake holiday cookies this weekend! Also going to see a ballet show, and other random things to spend time with friends. Planning to see my fam for the holiday. Do things that don't involve sitting in front of your computer and staring at your email. We can do this :)

1 hour ago, pataka said:

Well this is my first year applying, but I've been binge-watching Grey's Anatomy on Netflix (it's what got me through application season too so I didn't explode with stress). I go to dance once a week, and I've been prepping to bake holiday cookies this weekend! Also going to see a ballet show, and other random things to spend time with friends. Planning to see my fam for the holiday. Do things that don't involve sitting in front of your computer and staring at your email. We can do this :)

The Punisher is my show of choice right now. 

To be quite honest, I've been super unproductive at work! But playing with my corgi kills time... With anxiety still lurking in the background! Been getting nightmares about the application process once again!

I've been freaking myself out by re-checking the materials I applied with to check for errors. I know that's a TERRIBLE THING TO DO, but I don't know how to stop myself. 

So far I've found two errors: 1) I said "PhD" instead of "Ph.D." in my SoP; 2) my CV font is somehow a size 8! I don't know how I didn't notice that before submitting. I used a template from my university and it defaulted to a size 8 and I never changed it. 

I think I need a new hobby....one that involves leaving my house...seeing people...doing stuff... 

I'm super glad people on this forum get the anxiety that comes with waiting :D 

1 hour ago, bananabear said:

I've been freaking myself out by re-checking the materials I applied with to check for errors. I know that's a TERRIBLE THING TO DO, but I don't know how to stop myself. 

So far I've found two errors: 1) I said "PhD" instead of "Ph.D." in my SoP; 2) my CV font is somehow a size 8! I don't know how I didn't notice that before submitting. I used a template from my university and it defaulted to a size 8 and I never changed it. 

I think I need a new hobby....one that involves leaving my house...seeing people...doing stuff... 

I'm super glad people on this forum get the anxiety that comes with waiting :D 

I shouldn’t have read this. Now I’m triggered and realized my computer has never once stopped me from writing ‘PhD’ *face palm*. If it makes you feel better, all of my SOPs have ‘PhD’ somewhere in them lol 

Work is literally no good. I feel like I speed through everything just to get done and see if I missed a call or get any emails. So far, no updates. That’s good for some programs, not good for others that will be sending out invites within the next week. Praying I’ll be less anxious and more excited by next Friday afternoon..

1 hour ago, LolJustAdmitMe said:

I shouldn’t have read this. Now I’m triggered and realized my computer has never once stopped me from writing ‘PhD’ *face palm*. If it makes you feel better, all of my SOPs have ‘PhD’ somewhere in them lol 

Oops sorry! Didn't mean to freak you out. If it makes you feel better, I googled it and apparently "PhD" is also allowed. I installed Grammarly on my computer recently and it keeps correcting PhD to Ph.D. I guess because it is more "formally correct". 

Anyway, ignore me. I am sure you did just fine on your apps and in the grand scheme of things, this will not matter!

Edited by bananabear

Work is literally no good. I feel like I speed through everything just to get done and see if I missed a call or get any emails. So far, no updates. That’s good for some programs, not good for others that will be sending out invites within the next week. Praying I’ll be less anxious and more excited by next Friday afternoon..

You get invites this week?? I thought adcoms didn't even touch applications til after the holidays (regardless of school and program). I'm kind of jealous. 

2 hours ago, bananabear said:

You get invites this week?? I thought adcoms didn't even touch applications til after the holidays (regardless of school and program). I'm kind of jealous. 

I think it depends on the program, but I've already received 1 interview invite
Edit: And have seen others starting to get some too 

Edited by catsareme

Hi! I totally feel you on this. Like a lot of other people have said, I have just been trying to keep myself busy. Trying to be out and about more and if I have something like homework (finishing my UG degree) I will go somewhere like a coffee shop or the library to do it instead so I'm more distracted. I also have been starting a lot of new shows lately (but tbh Im always starting new shows) and have been trying to just limit myself from checking my phone email every 10 seconds. Good luck<3 

On 12/8/2017 at 2:59 PM, catsareme said:

You have heard back from WashU. When did it happen? I applied to WashU DBBS for biochemistry and I still have not heard anything back. Do you have a strong academic background or something? I am getting nervous

On 12/8/2017 at 3:43 PM, Tonggoodluck said:

You have heard back from WashU. When did it happen? I applied to WashU DBBS for biochemistry and I still have not heard anything back. Do you have a strong academic background or something? I am getting nervous

I got an email from them yesterday morning for Molecular Genetics and Genomics in DBBS, so it may be program related. I also currently work at WashU, so am already affiliated with the university. I wasn't expecting to even start hearing back from places until like the 15th or the week of the 18th. Not sure why this one came so early, but I think most places that start early usually start mid-December, so no need to get nervous yet!!

3 hours ago, bananabear said:

Nope *tear face* Two of my schools posted on their pages that they plan to notify students before/on the 15th. The rest seem to follow the rule of thumb you mentioned. But don’t be jealous, I feel 30 lbs heavier everyday wondering if I’ll hear back by next Friday (it prob makes it worse that one of them is my #1 choice?). 

Nope *tear face* Two of my schools posted on their pages that they plan to notify students before/on the 15th. The rest seem to follow the rule of thumb you mentioned. But don’t be jealous, I feel 30 lbs heavier everyday wondering if I’ll hear back by next Friday (it prob makes it worse that one of them is my #1 choice?). 

Ahhh so much stress before the holidays. I am taking it easy and then will probably panic beginning of January and feel what you're feeling. Best of luck! What is your field? Also feel free to dm if we're getting off topic for this thread (lol...sorry everyone). 

6 hours ago, catsareme said:

I got an email from them yesterday morning for Molecular Genetics and Genomics in DBBS, so it may be program related. I also currently work at WashU, so am already affiliated with the university. I wasn't expecting to even start hearing back from places until like the 15th or the week of the 18th. Not sure why this one came so early, but I think most places that start early usually start mid-December, so no need to get nervous yet!!

Thank you

I’ve been watching Ken Burn’s Baseball, following the trades and winter meeting (starting tomorrow), going to the batting cages, skiing, walking the lakes, ice skating, and getting ready for baseball to start again. Basically, I’ve been obsessing over the only other thing that makes me really nervous- Cubs baseball!

On 12/8/2017 at 2:59 PM, catsareme said:

I got an email that my committee starts meeting next week, but I’m in the humanities and no interview.