Super nervous about my chances of being admitted. How did you all get through waiting on university decisions?

Oli150

So....I *should* be preparing for possible interviews (I haven't been invited to do an interview before, so I guess that's particularly bad). Instead I'm just keeping in touch with family, doing work, surfing the internet, reading "fun" books, watching movies, etc.

On 12/8/2017 at 9:46 PM, bananabear said:

Ahhh so much stress before the holidays. I am taking it easy and then will probably panic beginning of January and feel what you're feeling. Best of luck! What is your field? Also feel free to dm if we're getting off topic for this thread (lol...sorry everyone). 

Haha Thank you! My field is clinical psych but lately I’ve been broadening my horizons to Human Development and Family Studies, Combined Clinical/Counseling Programs and Social Psychology to escape a little bit of the competition but still get to where I want to be. What about you? 

I'm currently working as a Research Assistant, so applying was twice as hard since I practically could only work on my apps at night and some weekends...I ended up losing a lot of sleep because I spent too long in the night worrying about the apps and having to wake up early for work...now I'm planning to catch some zzzs and get my head back into my experiments!

I only found out my application outcome recently, but something that struck me was how much trouble I had sleeping while waiting. I would recommend keeping an eye on this, as less sleep means less emotional resources to deal with application results and other aspects of life. I found exercise helped with sleep, and if anyone needs guided meditations, I finally found a few that work for me. 

Keeping busy probably kept me sane. Now that the holiday season is here, it's a perfect time to bake/make jam/set up a christmas tree/listen to christmas music/find interesting gifts for people. 

Hope everyone is doing OK. The waiting game is a rollercoaster of emotions. 

I have been trying to keep my mind busy with work. Outside of work, I've been reading more and focusing on learning a new language. Activities that keep my mind occupied. The holidays has definitely helped with the wait too. Unfortunately,  the anxiety of wondering if I will be accepted creeps up at some point every day.

I am also working on coming up with back up plans if I don't get admitted anywhere. That way I have something to fall back on and help with the uncertainty. 

On 12/12/2017 at 3:43 PM, lemma said:

I only found out my application outcome recently, but something that struck me was how much trouble I had sleeping while waiting. I would recommend keeping an eye on this, as less sleep means less emotional resources to deal with application results and other aspects of life. I found exercise helped with sleep, and if anyone needs guided meditations, I finally found a few that work for me. 

I totally agree! I realised even after finally submitting my apps 2 weeks ago, I have had so much trouble going to sleep (think 4am vs my usual 12-1am) because I just spend my time wondering what to do when my apps flunk...I go to the gym fairly regularly but even that isn't helping me so I just end up going to work extra tired the next day :( At this point in time I'm not sure what would be worse, not getting a response or getting a negative one eh

Wine, my job, meditation tapes (check out the app Insight Timer), commiserating with my brother/you people about his/y'all's applications, and exercise. I miss my jacked arms from my undergrad rowing days, so I have at least something to work for (Michelle Obama level arms).

I'm currently planning my wedding. I also work full-time, supervise a lab, and volunteer, so I'm usually busy anyway. I have 13 days off since I work for a university, so I'll try to focus on family and other things.

I like that a thread about how NOT to think about the PhD application process/decisions turned into a conversation about PhD applications/decisions :D 

Edit -  I know I contributed to that

Edited by bananabear

On 12/8/2017 at 1:35 PM, bananabear said:

So far I've found two errors: 1) I said "PhD" instead of "Ph.D." in my SoP; 2) my CV font is somehow a size 8! I don't know how I didn't notice that before submitting.

PhD and Ph.D. - both are correct, as long as you were consistent there shouldn't be a problem.

8pt font - you are totally screwed (just kidding ;) ), Most folks will notice, but probably won't care.

On 12/22/2017 at 7:53 AM, avflinsch said:

PhD and Ph.D. - both are correct, as long as you were consistent there shouldn't be a problem.

8pt font - you are totally screwed (just kidding ;) ), Most folks will notice, but probably won't care.

Thank you for adding some more joy to my holidays, kind stranger :D