Fall 2018 Psych PhD Interviews (not clinical)

vallaboop

1 hour ago, psychedelic2 said:

@Psychapplica

I typically find the best prices on momondo.com , kayak.com/flights , or google flights.  I keep updated on the best prices and choose which airline to fly based on what I find there.  Also, depending on what airports you would depart from and arrive to, Southwest Airlines often has good priced flights if you can snag one early (check their website).  If you would be checking a bag, Southwest is also good bc they provide 2 free checked bags.. most airlines don't offer that.. so bringing your things as a carry-on would save money otherwise.

Hope this helps!!

SkyScanner is great too

Hey all! Anyone hear anything from Emory's two non-clinical programs (NAB or COD)? They are both small programs (very little about either one anywhere on this site!), and I think the 2018 weekend or weekends will take place in February. Thanks!

Hi all! I've been lurking for quite a while and thought it was finally time to post myself. Applying for a Counseling Psychology PhD. So far, I've had phone interviews with my POIs for UWM (which ended in a rejection), University of Maryland (still haven't heard back, even though I was given a time period?), and UCSB (which resulted in an invite to the onsite interview). So definitely a variation of responses. 

I also applied to University of Florida, Teacher's College at Columbia, and Boston College. I saw a couple people post about Maryland and Florida. Do you think it would be appropriate to email the graduate office to ask about my application? I don't want to seem impatient though, and I know it's a waiting game. 

It's so hard to hang in there, but best of luck to all of us who applied! 

Edited by FeministPsychologist

2 hours ago, FeministPsychologist said:

Hi all! I've been lurking for quite a while and thought it was finally time to post myself. Applying for a Counseling Psychology PhD. So far, I've had phone interviews with my POIs for UWM (which ended in a rejection), University of Maryland (still haven't heard back, even though I was given a time period?), and UCSB (which resulted in an invite to the onsite interview). So definitely a variation of responses. 

I also applied to University of Florida, Teacher's College at Columbia, and Boston College. I saw a couple people post about Maryland and Florida. Do you think it would be appropriate to email the graduate office to ask about my application? I don't want to seem impatient though, and I know it's a waiting game. 

It's so hard to hang in there, but best of luck to all of us who applied! 

I emailed the graduate office of UFL, and being told that “The Psychology Area’s began Interviews starting Mid – to Late January.”  

Hope this helps. So I am not sure if there is still a need to wait for that, since it is already mid Jan, and I did not get an invitation. 

Hi everyone

I know it's still prime time to hear back about interview invites. I've heard from 4/8 schools I applied to. My question is, is it possible that schools will rule you out but not notify you? I recently saw that someone got an invite at one of the schools I applied to about a week ago but I haven't heard anything. I know it's still early so I'm trying to stay calm. 

49 minutes ago, georginazhou said:

I emailed the graduate office of UFL, and being told that “The Psychology Area’s began Interviews starting Mid – to Late January.”  

Hope this helps. So I am not sure if there is still a need to wait for that, since it is already mid Jan, and I did not get an invitation. 

Welp, that sucks. But thanks for sharing that info! It’s definitely super helpful. 

7 hours ago, psychedelic2 said:

@Psychapplica

I typically find the best prices on momondo.com , kayak.com/flights , or google flights.  I keep updated on the best prices and choose which airline to fly based on what I find there.  Also, depending on what airports you would depart from and arrive to, Southwest Airlines often has good priced flights if you can snag one early (check their website).  If you would be checking a bag, Southwest is also good bc they provide 2 free checked bags.. most airlines don't offer that.. so bringing your things as a carry-on would save money otherwise.

Hope this helps!!

I thank you! My fiancé and I are both applying to school at the same time- so unfortunately finances are an issue.

has anyone requested a Skype Interview for programs that are really far away? If so, how was it received? 

2 hours ago, CounselingPsychApp2018 said:

Hi everyone

I know it's still prime time to hear back about interview invites. I've heard from 4/8 schools I applied to. My question is, is it possible that schools will rule you out but not notify you? I recently saw that someone got an invite at one of the schools I applied to about a week ago but I haven't heard anything. I know it's still early so I'm trying to stay calm. 

It's so hard to say because programs vary so much in this respect! For example, I unsuccessfully applied last year and didn't receive any communication about my status until programs had secured their incoming class and sent out rejections. I applied to a different set of schools this year and while I've had more success with interviews, I've had three schools definitively reach out to let me know I'm no longer being considered (without them having hosted their interview days yet), and one school that hasn't reached out but I know invitations have already been extended. So yes, it's possible that you may be out of contention without being notified, but it may still be too early to count yourself out! Good luck; I hope you get some good news soon :) 

2 hours ago, Psychapplica said:

I thank you! My fiancé and I are both applying to school at the same time- so unfortunately finances are an issue.

has anyone requested a Skype Interview for programs that are really far away? If so, how was it received? 

Another good resource is Hopper. App for your phone that helps identify good times to buy, when prices will increase, drop etc. If prices are about to increase, it'll send you a notification to buy now.

15 hours ago, a_B_C said:

Hi all,

Has anyone received a formal invitation for NYU's Cognition and Perception program?

I applied and didn't receive anything, but the results page shows some invitations sent. date seems to be 23rd feb

Emailing for updates about application status to POI, and being told the admission outcome will probably be a while, and ended with the phrase “stay tuned :)” I feel I have been over analysing every word in the email. Trying to tell myself the smily face is a good sign. But she might just be nice, becuase I am a volunteer RA in her lab. She wrote me an LoR tho. I really want to get in this school. What you guys think? 

Edited by georginazhou

59 minutes ago, georginazhou said:

Emailing for updates about application status to POI, and being told the admission outcome will probably be a while, and ended with the phrase “stay tuned :)” I feel I have been over analysing every word in the email. Trying to tell myself the smily face is a good sign. But she might just be nice, becuase I am a volunteer RA in her lab. She wrote me an LoR tho. I really want to get in this school. What you guys think? 

Honestly, it's hard to say but to me it sounds like they are not done going through applications yet so there is no news yet for anyone. Which is a good sign!

On 1/16/2018 at 12:41 PM, DAS50 said:

Hey all! Anyone hear anything from Emory's two non-clinical programs (NAB or COD)? They are both small programs (very little about either one anywhere on this site!), and I think the 2018 weekend or weekends will take place in February. Thanks!

I heard from Emory's C&D program back in December, but I had spoken on the phone with my POI earlier last fall for a preliminary discussion about research interests. Their interview weekend for that program is February 1-3.

23 hours ago, georginazhou said:

Do you know if this is all concentrations (clinical and no clinical)? For UFL? I’m really hoping to hear from their developmental program.

3 hours ago, wahoo17 said:

I heard from Emory's C&D program back in December, but I had spoken on the phone with my POI earlier last fall for a preliminary discussion about research interests. Their interview weekend for that program is February 1-3.

Oh, thanks so much for this info! That's awesome for you. Truth is, I didn't apply yo C&D, just NAB, but there is a lot of overlap, so I thought I'd ask about both. I am hoping and hoping that the NAB weekend isn't at the same time. If it is, I imagine that I am not on the list....

5 hours ago, Psychapplica said:

Do you know if this is all concentrations (clinical and no clinical)? For UFL? I’m really hoping to hear from their developmental program.

I am not sure. I did not specify my area in my email, and the quoted part is exactly what I got in the responding email.

hope this helps.

Asked this in a separate thread but figured it might work here (I'm looking at developmental psych programs):

I have a few visits coming up and I was wondering if I should be emailing with my POI before them about research ideas, or if I should just wait until the weekend to discuss everything. I feel like it's weird to go somewhat silent, but I don't want to be sending insignificant emails just to keep up contact. Does anyone have any advice for this situation? 

Hey everyone. I'm not sure if anyone on this thread is interested in Health Psychology PhD (non-clinical) programs, but I have included what I know below:

School: North Carolina State University 

Track and/or specialization within psychology program: Applied Social and Community Psychology, Ph.D.

Interview type: On-campus interview.

Date: Feb 1st-3rd

School: Kent State University 

Track and/or specialization within psychology program: Health Psychology, Ph.D.

Date: Feb 9th-10th

School: University of North Carolina at Charlotte

Date: TBD-Have to do an alternative interview date. Will most likely be in Feb. Original date was Jan 26th

School: Virginia Commonwealth University

Interview type: On-campus interview was offered but I have to do a Skype due to financial trouble. To be fair VCU isn't the highest on my list so I justified it. My POI made the point to say that he has accepted people over Skype before.

Date: TBD-Have to do Skype interview. Will most likely be in Feb. Original date was Feb 8th or 16th 

Also applied: University of Utah Social Psychology Ph.D.; University of Houston Social Psychology and Health Ph.D.; and Purdue University Health Communication Ph.D.

Utah interview day is Feb 9th and I haven't heard so my hope is low. Houston application was due on Jan 15th so they have time to review. I have no idea about Purdue lol. Hoping for the best! I've never done on-campus interviews before.

On 1/15/2018 at 11:08 AM, AliCip said:

Has anyone heard from Utah or U of Michigan for social psych yet? 

I have not either. I applied to Utah Social psych with a health emphasis and have heard nothing. Let me know if you hear anything moving forward. Their interview day is Feb 9th so its approaching quickly.

29 minutes ago, AceJace2 said:

Hey everyone. I'm not sure if anyone on this thread is interested in Health Psychology PhD (non-clinical) programs, but I have included what I know below:

School: North Carolina State University 

Track and/or specialization within psychology program: Applied Social and Community Psychology, Ph.D.

Date: Feb 1st-3rd

School: Kent State University 

Date: Feb 9th-10th

School: University of North Carolina at Charlotte

Date: TBD-Have to do an alternative interview date. Will most likely be in Feb. Original date was Jan 26th

School: Virginia Commonwealth University

Interview type: On-campus interview was offered but I have to do a Skype due to financial trouble. To be fair VCU isn't the highest on my list so I justified it. My POI made the point to say that he has accepted people over Skype before.

Date: TBD-Have to do Skype interview. Will most likely be in Feb. Original date was Feb 8th or 16th 

Also applied: University of Utah Social Psychology Ph.D.; University of Houston Social Psychology and Health Ph.D.; and Purdue University Health Communication Ph.D.

Utah interview day is Feb 9th and I haven't heard so my hope is low. Houston application was due on Jan 15th so they have time to review. I have no idea about Purdue lol. Hoping for the best! I've never done on-campus interviews before.

I will be there also at Kent for developmental psych. I also haven't heard anything back from Utah. 

10 minutes ago, Developmental33 said:

I will be there also at Kent for developmental psych. I also haven't heard anything back from Utah. 

Did you get any travel reimbursement from Kent? I did not. They will drive me around, pay for meals, and allow me to stay with another grad student. The only school that did travel reimbursement was North Carolina State.