Fall 2018 Psych PhD Interviews (not clinical)

vallaboop

11 hours ago, rnf13 said:

Has anyone heard from University of Michigan's combined Psychology and Women's Studies program? 

I don't know about the Psych + Women's Studies program specifically, but I do know that most (if not all) of the psych areas have their interview/recruitment weekend from February 16-17. Travel arrangements are currently being made for CPEP and developmental invitees, and I'd imagine the other areas as well. I suspect that they're waiting for responses to see who is attending, and they're trying to fill up all the interview/recruitment weekend slots before sending out rejections. 

11 hours ago, pysch27 said:

Hey ezraontheinternet, how do you know you got rejected from UMass Boston's Counseling PhD program? I'm still waiting to hear something from them... Thanks!

Update: Just got the official rejection email. Said that my application was competitive, but that most of the applicants had a masters or extensive post-bachelors clinical work (I'm a senior undergrad). Invited me to basically switch my application over to one of their masters degree programs.

6 hours ago, ezraontheinternet said:

Update: Just got the official rejection email. Said that my application was competitive, but that most of the applicants had a masters or extensive post-bachelors clinical work (I'm a senior undergrad). Invited me to basically switch my application over to one of their masters degree programs.

•  

Hey, I just emailed with their clinical director and she confirmed that while I had a strong application, I wasn't able to be offered an interview spot, in part due to lack of enough relevant coursework and supervised clinical experience. Ah well! It's just nice to get confirmation :)

8 minutes ago, psychonerd said:

Hi guys, getting nervous about upcoming interviews...struggling on how to prepare and what I should be prepared for...any pro-tips?? 

Me too! I've done SO much research on how to prepare. This isn't an exhaustive list, but I hope it helps:

• Here's a great blog post to read
  • Browse through the "interviews and visits" forum; it's really helpful but be careful not to let it stress you out.
  • Read 1 or 2 papers (or abstracts) by your POI and maybe some abstracts by other professors with loosely-related topics of interest
  • Look into if there is any info on current students/lab members for your POI's lab. Read about their interests. Usually this info is on a lab website if there is one.
  • Go through this list and write down/prepare as many answers as you can that seem applicable
  • Think of a lot (A LOT!) of questions to ask faculty, grad students, your POI specifically, administrators, anyone you might meet/interact with during interview day.

5 minutes ago, pataka said:

Me too! I've done SO much research on how to prepare. This isn't an exhaustive list, but I hope it helps:

• Here's a great blog post to read
  • Browse through the "interviews and visits" forum; it's really helpful but be careful not to let it stress you out.
  • Read 1 or 2 papers (or abstracts) by your POI and maybe some abstracts by other professors with loosely-related topics of interest
  • Look into if there is any info on current students/lab members for your POI's lab. Read about their interests. Usually this info is on a lab website if there is one.
  • Go through this list and write down/prepare as many answers as you can that seem applicable
  • Think of a lot (A LOT!) of questions to ask faculty, grad students, your POI specifically, administrators, anyone you might meet/interact with during interview day.

thank you thank you thank you! 

1 hour ago, psychlifer said:

Does anyone know if University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign's Visit Day is actually just an Interview Day? 

It's probably safe to assume that it's an interview if they haven't formally accepted you. Two of my interviews were referred to as a "Visit Day" and a "Recruitment Day," but neither actually accepted me yet so I plan to prepare for an interview.

Just got an interview invitation from teachers college at Columbia university’s counseling psych PhD program! The date is 2/9 and the email came from the administrative assistant 

super pumped bc I got rejected from my other two schools even before the interview stage so excited for this :)

16 hours ago, pettyaspraxis said:

Just got an interview invitation from teachers college at Columbia university’s counseling psych PhD program! The date is 2/9 and the email came from the administrative assistant 

I also got an invitation for Counseling Psych! This will be my first time going to New York, so  I'm pretty excited as a whole :lol: Has anyone heard anything about what the interview process is like for this school? I haven't been able to find much info on the Psych forum. 

Anyone hear anything from UCSB's Social Psychology department? I saw someone reach out to their department a couple weeks ago, and they were informed that they would not be making decisions as a committee for a couple weeks, and I figured it was about that time.

Hi all -

I have yet to hear back from 3 counseling psych programs - University of Kansas, University of Miami, and University of Louisville. Oddly enough they're all the programs that I applied to through applyweb. 

I saw on the results page that someone heard from KU on Jan 10th, someone heard from Louisville on Dec 18th, and three people heard from Miami on Jan 19th. The only person that posted about when they're interviewing was one of the Miami posters and they said the interview date is Feb 5th, which is very soon. 

What are the chances that my app is still being considered? I'm tempted to reach out to the programs but I've also seen some say that's a bad idea. What are your thoughts about emailing to check on app status?

• School name: Lehigh University
  • Date interview invite received: Jan 23rd, 2018
  • Degree: PhD
  • Type: Cognition and Language
  • Notified via: Email
  • Interview date: February 16th 2018

I only applied to 4 PhD programs this cycle due to super brokeness, and I've gotten 3 interview invites with reimbursements. I'm feeling pretty lucky. It's also very fortunate that all 3 interviews are on different weekend dates. 

School: UW Madison

Track and/or specialization within psychology program: Educational Psychology; Quantitative Methods

Date: 12/22/2017

School: UCLA

Track and/or specialization within psychology program: Quantitative Psychology

Date: 01/24/2018

School: Penn State

Track and/or specialization within psychology program: Human Development and Family Studies; Quantitative Methods

Date: 01/22/2018

School: UC Santa Barbara

Track and/or specialization within psychology program: Education; Quantitative Methods

Date: 01/16/2018

School: UC Davis 

Track and/or specialization within psychology program: Human Development; Quantitative Methods

Date: 01/19/2018

Presumably rejected to UNC, Vanderbilt, and Notre Dame's quantitative psychology programs.

Does anybody ever get accepted without an interview? I just noticed my UNLV app changed from "under departmental review" to "pending decision". The interview invites were sent out the second week in January (as told to me by the administrator) and I didn't receive one so this seems odd. I would assume if anything it would have changed to "rejected". Any thoughts?:wacko:

20 minutes ago, cindyboop said:

Does anybody ever get accepted without an interview? I just noticed my UNLV app changed from "under departmental review" to "pending decision". The interview invites were sent out the second week in January (as told to me by the administrator) and I didn't receive one so this seems odd. I would assume if anything it would have changed to "rejected". Any thoughts?:wacko:

Maybe all of the applications get transitioned to the next stage of the admissions process at the same time, and they aren't individually categorized into accepted/rejected/waitlisted until later/after interviews are complete and the adcomm meets for the final time? That's the only explanation I can think of.

28 minutes ago, pataka said:

Maybe all of the applications get transitioned to the next stage of the admissions process at the same time, and they aren't individually categorized into accepted/rejected/waitlisted until later/after interviews are complete and the adcomm meets for the final time? That's the only explanation I can think of.

That makes sense. I just wish things weren't always so vague!

1 hour ago, butwhyisallthecoffeegone said:

Just saw that offers are being extended from one of the schools I interviewed at last weekend. I'm trying hard not to be super anxious, but it's not working. Help? 

I wish I had some advice other than to just try and keep yourself busy. Good luck, fingers crossed for you!