Fall 2018 Psych PhD Interviews (not clinical)

vallaboop

Has anyone heard from Harvard Developmental Psyc department? I e-mailed them on Monday this week and received a generic reply that said applications are presently under review and not all departments offer interviews. But I think that developmental psyc faculty have always conducted Skype interviews (according to my search results on tgc up until last year), which seem to have had always been scheduled during the first week of Feb. each year. I've applied to 12 developmental psyc programs and been rejected by 11 of them almost for sure... I am suffocating in this waiting game! 

8 hours ago, Quant_Psych_2018 said:

Has anyone outside of clinical psychology heard from Arizona State? As far as I know, it's been dead in the quantitative area and it seems dead in the other areas as well!

Have the same question regarding the 'social' area. Last few years' result updates weren't very clarifying either.

I saw a bunch of people got their rejection letter from UCSD today, and someone posted accepted a few days ago. I did not get an interview, nor an rejection at this point. And I saw their open house is on Feb 1-2, which is a week ago. what does this mean to my application? waitlisted? or does school sent out rejection in different batches? 

9 hours ago, georginazhou said:

I saw a bunch of people got their rejection letter from UCSD today, and someone posted accepted a few days ago. I did not get an interview, nor an rejection at this point. And I saw their open house is on Feb 1-2, which is a week ago. what does this mean to my application? waitlisted? or does school sent out rejection in different batches? 

Received a formal reject from UCSD cognitive program yesterday evening but I asked the professor couple of weeks back and he informed me that he is unable to extend an offer.

2 hours ago, VVMM said:

Received a formal reject from UCSD cognitive program yesterday evening but I asked the professor couple of weeks back and he informed me that he is unable to extend an offer.

i am sorry to hear that. hope you get offer else where.

should i email the dept to check on my application then? i saw 5 people posted rejection yesterday. i did not interview, and i was expecting rejection too. but did not receive any update.......

On 2/10/2018 at 3:30 PM, georginazhou said:

i am sorry to hear that. hope you get offer else where.

should i email the dept to check on my application then? i saw 5 people posted rejection yesterday. i did not interview, and i was expecting rejection too. but did not receive any update.......

Hi 

Thank you so much I am also waiting for a positive news.

Also I think you should mail the admission committee asking for the status of you application. They are very prompt in replying to the queries and they will let you know the exact status.

Wait for 2 days if they are not replying back then go ahead and mail the professor. 

All the best :)

On 2/5/2018 at 2:33 PM, songofgallifrey said:

this thread has been pretty quiet; how's everyone doing? how are interviews going? i just got back from an open house last week, and i think it went well but i honestly have no idea what my chances are at this point.

*sigh* the wait continues

On 2/7/2018 at 2:29 PM, SocialPsycNerd said:

I was at the Visit Day at Princeton last weekend, and I'm super nervous. It was such an amazing experience and was well worth it (regardless of outcome). I'm trying to be patient, but...  

How's everyone else doing? 

Hello! I had an amazing and super fun interview experience last weekend at Kent State! Faculty, current students, and prospective students were super nice and there was never any awkwardness from my interactions with people. I'm sure that this is said at every interview/visiting weekend-these interviews are mostly about how well you mesh/connect with your POI and the department, because the fact that you were invited means that they want you as a student for the most part. We were told that admissions decisions would come out in a couple of weeks , but my POI emailed and said her decision would come a bit sooner. I'm excited to hear from this school! I have three more interviews this weekend and next, and I'm hoping that I have the same incredible experience that I had at Kent. :) 

On 2/12/2018 at 8:00 AM, songofgallifrey said:

@VVMM i'm sorry to hear that. did you interview with your POI at the open house? i was also seeing the rejections (and one acceptance) posted, but i haven't heard anything after interviewing for the cognitive area at the beginning of the month.

No I mailed the professor asking for the status and then he informed. 

I didn't receive the interview call.

As acceptances are coming in, try not to hold onto more than one acceptance at a time. If you are accepted to two places and you know you will go to one over the other if it comes down to it; decline the one you know you won’t go to. That way individuals on the waitlist can potentially get a spot (because for them that may be the only school they haven’t been rejected from or is their ‘last hope). I understand if maybe you haven’t visited campuses for some and want to wait to see how the fit feels during visiting day or for funding details ( I would too); but just keep it in mind if you have two or more acceptances.

12 hours ago, psychedelic2 said:

Has anybody experienced a group interview? I have one coming up and am unsure what to expect. Also, if this question was asked elsewhere, please let me know!

I am sure it's different for different programs, but my experience has been that the group interview is more of a round table discussion.  I sat with the other applicants and a couple of faculty members, and it was a chance to ask questions.  I enjoyed it because I got to hear answers to questions I wouldn't have thought to ask.  It was a little awkward though because we all felt like we needed to save the "good questions" for our one on one interviews later in the day. 

I tried applying for a social psych PhD and getting this gut feeling that it is not my year...

Rejected: Syracuse, UMass Amherst, Tulane, NYU

Waitlisted: KU, CUNY

Still waiting on: Texas A&M, UT Austin, UC Davis, Northwestern, University at Albany

What do you guys do if your waitlisted? Should you still email them saying thank you and you're excited to be on the waitlist or something, or just let it be? Going to have to regroup pretty soon...

7 hours ago, SarahmKahl said:

I tried applying for a social psych PhD and getting this gut feeling that it is not my year...

Rejected: Syracuse, UMass Amherst, Tulane, NYU

Waitlisted: KU, CUNY

Still waiting on: Texas A&M, UT Austin, UC Davis, Northwestern, University at Albany

What do you guys do if your waitlisted? Should you still email them saying thank you and you're excited to be on the waitlist or something, or just let it be? Going to have to regroup pretty soon...

I'm also wondering about how to handle being waitlisted. One program told me right away that I'm a middle alternate. Another didn't give me any information about where I stand on the list. Is it appropriate to email the second program and ask where I am on the list?

On 2/14/2018 at 5:31 PM, appletoapple said:

anyone know when UNC is getting back with decisions?

I personally haven’t heard anything officially since the interview weekend, but I have heard from two girls who applied to the social program who have received offers. 

On 1/14/2018 at 1:40 PM, Stauce said:

Anyone apply to UNC Chapel Hill in a non-Clinical field? Their Clinical webpage indicates all invitations have been sent out, but I am unsure if this is the case for all fields of psych at UNC. Anyone know? I saw one invitation for Social at UNC on the results page, but that's it.

I interviewed last week (a week later than the "interview weekend") for the Developmental Science/Psychology track, and have not heard anything yet. :wacko: Have you heard anything from you POI or the Interview Coordinator?

It's been 12 days since my interview weekend with a program and I have had no word back yet about a decision. When my POI answered my thank you email she said "the faculty are set to meet and discuss candidates" and she "should be back in touch soon with a decision." I have read other posts that make it seem like longer waits = rejection/waitlist. Am I reading too much into this? I really love this program so it's hard to stay calm and not over think everything. I was the only one my POI invited out of the 6 of us interviewing, but the program usually only accepts around 2-3 students. I would appreciate any personal experiences/advice!