Fall 2018 Psych PhD Interviews (not clinical)

vallaboop

7 minutes ago, psycphd said:

It's been 12 days since my interview weekend with a program and I have had no word back yet about a decision. When my POI answered my thank you email she said "the faculty are set to meet and discuss candidates" and she "should be back in touch soon with a decision." I have read other posts that make it seem like longer waits = rejection/waitlist. Am I reading too much into this? I really love this program so it's hard to stay calm and not over think everything. I was the only one my POI invited out of the 6 of us interviewing, but the program usually only accepts around 2-3 students. I would appreciate any personal experiences/advice!

I'm not sure what your area is or if the admissions pattern differs from clinical, but if there were 6 applicants for 2-3 slots, you have really good odds! The wait time can vary for a number of reasons (e.g., maybe the committee meeting was further away than implied, maybe they are working on securing funding packages, etc.) so unless you've heard otherwise I don't see a reason to lose hope yet. If you haven't already done so, you could search the survey/results section of grad cafe to see if anyone from your program has posted there in past cylces. I know the waiting sucks but try not to get too down on yourself. Good luck!!

6 minutes ago, b_l91 said:

I'm not sure what your area is or if the admissions pattern differs from clinical, but if there were 6 applicants for 2-3 slots, you have really good odds! The wait time can vary for a number of reasons (e.g., maybe the committee meeting was further away than implied, maybe they are working on securing funding packages, etc.) so unless you've heard otherwise I don't see a reason to lose hope yet. If you haven't already done so, you could search the survey/results section of grad cafe to see if anyone from your program has posted there in past cylces. I know the waiting sucks but try not to get too down on yourself. Good luck!!

Thank you so much this was such a nice response! It's hard because I am applying to developmental programs and there is not a lot of postings for that on the results section. I'll just have to try and not go nuts waiting for a response. Good luck to you too!

@psycphd adding to the other response to your question, it sounds like the faculty haven't even met yet to discuss candidates, based on the quotes you supplied, so i think you're ok!

also, does anyone want to claim the university of michigan acceptance posted 2/21? i'm wondering if that was for one of the areas that doesn't do interviews (e.g. developmental, i think), since i was under the impression that decisions wouldn't be out until 2-3 weeks post-interview weekend (it hasn't even been a week yet), or if i should be worried lol

Edited by songofgallifrey

3 hours ago, 1410704 said:

Has anyone heard back from Canadian uni's yet?

I applied for the Psychology PhD programme at McGill, Concordia, and Uni of Toronto, but haven't heard anything back from them yet

I also applied to McGill's Experimental Psychology track and haven't heard anything from them. I'm not sure what to make of the radio silence, especially since there aren't many posts in the results section to go off of.

Hello! Usually I just observe but I really need some advice. I interviewed at a school over 2 weeks ago (it’ll be 3 weeks on Friday) and I still have not heard anything back. At the interview my PI said I would hear from her soon but didn’t give a definitive timeline. At the interview one of the current students said she heard back within days and another said within a couple weeks. I’m not sure when the appropriate time is to contact her for an update. This is my only hope of an admittance so I’m panicking a little. I feel like it must be a rejection since so much time has passed. The results page is no help for developmental programs. 

23 minutes ago, Probablyphd said:

Hello! Usually I just observe but I really need some advice. I interviewed at a school over 2 weeks ago (it’ll be 3 weeks on Friday) and I still have not heard anything back. At the interview my PI said I would hear from her soon but didn’t give a definitive timeline. At the interview one of the current students said she heard back within days and another said within a couple weeks. I’m not sure when the appropriate time is to contact her for an update. This is my only hope of an admittance so I’m panicking a little. I feel like it must be a rejection since so much time has passed. The results page is no help for developmental programs. 

what school? There could be a couple reasons. the first (and more optimistic one) is that they haven't made decisions yet. Many schools take 2-4 weeks to send them out. Hopefully this is the case for you, but each school is different. Another reason could be that they have offered initial acceptances and you are on the waitlist (some schools don't tell you if you're on the wait-list). If someone declines their position they will offer it to the next person in line and so on till some one accepts.  

Im in the same boat as you and while i'm trying to remain hopefull, I'm pretty sure i'm in the second group. If i don't hear back from anywhere by the end of spring break im going to apply to a couple masters programs with late deadlines that have faculty with similar research interest(as a backup) and hope i get a notification from the schools im waitlisted at before April 15th

I've been waitlisted at USF, and rejected from all of my other schools, so I'm not really sure what to do with myself right now haha. If you've been offered a spot in the CNS psych program and don't plan to accept pleaaaase let them know so they can continue down the waitlist! This is the only program I have a chance of attending and if I don't get in I will be heartbroken

Anyone else not have great luck this year? I'm trying to be optimistic and hope that I'll be offered a spot off the waitlist, but I've also already started applying to research positions and such to boost my chances for the next round of apps

I thought everyone here would like this:

Somone on Reddit estimated decision timelines based on GradCafe data. For each university and program you will find three graphs:

• Decision timeline as a cumulative sum of decisions (accept, reject, interview, waitlist) as a function of time between Jan 1 and May 1 for the last five years combined.
  • Boxplots of GRE Q and GRE V for people who reported both scores.
  • Histogram of GPAs (from 2.5 to 4.0 with 0.1 step).

https://www.reddit.com/r/gradadmissions/comments/7srxxy/decision_timelines_for_particular_universities/

Brilliant!

On 2/22/2018 at 12:25 PM, songofgallifrey said:

@psycphd adding to the other response to your question, it sounds like the faculty haven't even met yet to discuss candidates, based on the quotes you supplied, so i think you're ok!

also, does anyone want to claim the university of michigan acceptance posted 2/21? i'm wondering if that was for one of the areas that doesn't do interviews (e.g. developmental, i think), since i was under the impression that decisions wouldn't be out until 2-3 weeks post-interview weekend (it hasn't even been a week yet), or if i should be worried lol

One of my friends heard back almost immediately after the interview weekend for CCN (all areas had their interview weekend on 2/16-17). 

On 2/27/2018 at 7:48 AM, Probablyphd said:

My guess is waitlist? I also went to an interview and heard that another interviewee got the spot. I haven't heard back yet, so I must be the alternate. 

I think mid-March is a good time to contact her for an update. At that point, students probably have declined some of their offers, opening up spots for others. 

On 2/27/2018 at 10:48 AM, Probablyphd said:

Email the graduate program coordinator. 

Tomorrow will have been a month since my interview and I haven't heard anything. Is it safe to say I'm waitlisted? I'm so upset, I honestly don't know what to do. This wait is killing me. :(

6 minutes ago, cindyboop said:

Tomorrow will have been a month since my interview and I haven't heard anything. Is it safe to say I'm waitlisted? I'm so upset, I honestly don't know what to do. This wait is killing me. :(

Not necessarily, one of the places I interviewed while a Clinical Psychology Program, has taken over a month to make decisions since interviews and they have decision day coming up in two weeks (1 month 2 weeks since interviews). Each program is different. With that said, you may very well be on a wait list but that doesn't mean all hope is lost! A lot of applicants who have an acceptance in one program have other offers into other ones, so you could very well get a call/email on decision day.

Good Luck :).

1 hour ago, cindyboop said:

1 hour ago, 123pickme said:

Not necessarily, one of the places I interviewed while a Clinical Psychology Program, has taken over a month to make decisions since interviews and they have decision day coming up in two weeks (1 month 2 weeks since interviews). Each program is different. With that said, you may very well be on a wait list but that doesn't mean all hope is lost! A lot of applicants who have an acceptance in one program have other offers into other ones, so you could very well get a call/email on decision day.

I had my interview a month ago too and also haven't heard anything, aside from an update from my POI two weeks ago that was really vague and said "we are nearing decisions" LOL. Thanks @123pickme, I'm kind of starting to turn my mind towards next application season, but at the same time I'm trying not to lose hope for this app season.

2 hours ago, 123pickme said:

Thanks, that makes me feel a little better! I'll try not to lose hope yet

17 hours ago, ilikepsych said:

One of my friends heard back almost immediately after the interview weekend for CCN (all areas had their interview weekend on 2/16-17). 

it seems like it depended on the POI then; i got my acceptance 9 days after the interview weekend