Fall 2018 Psych PhD Interviews (not clinical)

vallaboop

Has anyone heard from UNC - Chapel Hill since the interview? Or know the process at UNC? I am applying to the Developmental Program, but any insights on the Psych Department as a whole would be appreciated!

5 hours ago, DevSci said:

Has anyone heard from UNC - Chapel Hill since the interview? Or know the process at UNC? I am applying to the Developmental Program, but any insights on the Psych Department as a whole would be appreciated!

I received an official rejection from the social psych program.

Hi- 

Does anyone know how to interpret this situation? Two people (including me) were interviewed for a specific POI at a PhD Pysch program. The other person was accepted, and I was sent an email from POI saying that they are waiting to hear how many slots they will have. The other person will not be accepting the offer. I've been told it is still possible that they will have to wait to hear back from all students (across the dept.) who were given offers, and that if this person chooses not to go, it does not necessarily guarantee me the slot. I was wondering if anyone else has been in this situation or has heard of this situation. Does anyone have an idea of how likely it is that I could gain admission?

On 3/2/2018 at 5:33 PM, Hopeful22 said:

Hi- 

Does anyone know how to interpret this situation? Two people (including me) were interviewed for a specific POI at a PhD Pysch program. The other person was accepted, and I was sent an email from POI saying that they are waiting to hear how many slots they will have. The other person will not be accepting the offer. I've been told it is still possible that they will have to wait to hear back from all students (across the dept.) who were given offers, and that if this person chooses not to go, it does not necessarily guarantee me the slot. I was wondering if anyone else has been in this situation or has heard of this situation. Does anyone have an idea of how likely it is that I could gain admission?

I'm in almost the same situation except the other student DID accept. I think it depends on what professors have the highest need for a student. 

On 3/2/2018 at 4:33 PM, Hopeful22 said:

Hi- 

Hello,

I was in that situation and I do not know if the other person accepted or not. But I got an offer of acceptance 5 days after her initial offer went out. Which I don’t think was enough time for her to accept or decline. My poi initially wanted to accept two people but only for sure had the funds for one. Then I was extended an offer.  so keep your hopes up!! 

There is a 99.9% change this application cycle is not going to work out for me. After not hearing about an admission decision a month after interview I decided to email my POI. He said "After careful consideration I have decided not to have a student from this cohort join my lab." I was unbelievably upset. I also still haven't received an official rejection which is weird. Not sure why they're keeping me in limbo. I need to lick my wounds and start getting prepared for next cycle but I am just so sad. Anyone else feeling similar? 

1 hour ago, cindyboop said:

There is a 99.9% change this application cycle is not going to work out for me. After not hearing about an admission decision a month after interview I decided to email my POI. He said "After careful consideration I have decided not to have a student from this cohort join my lab." I was unbelievably upset. I also still haven't received an official rejection which is weird. Not sure why they're keeping me in limbo. I need to lick my wounds and start getting prepared for next cycle but I am just so sad. Anyone else feeling similar? 

I'm so sorry Cindy :(

I still haven't heard anything from my POI from my interview that was at the beginning of Feb. One person from my interview cohort messaged me to say they received an offer and I am still in limbo so I don't know how to feel about that. This school is my last chance so I'm prepping my list for next year's apps too. Also finding it hard to find motivation because of the sadness. I'm hoping it will get better. Hang in there <3

1 hour ago, pataka said:

I'm so sorry Cindy :(

I still haven't heard anything from my POI from my interview that was at the beginning of Feb. One person from my interview cohort messaged me to say they received an offer and I am still in limbo so I don't know how to feel about that. This school is my last chance so I'm prepping my list for next year's apps too. Also finding it hard to find motivation because of the sadness. I'm hoping it will get better. Hang in there <3

I'm sorry you're going through this too! It's so discouraging.  I know that I will feel better and move on but right now it just feels like a punch to the stomach. Hopefully I can shake it off soon and figure out how to make myself a more competitive candidate next time around. Gah. Chin up! If we just keep trying we can't really fail :P

Rejection from Concordia (Psychology PhD). 4.0 undergrad GPA. GRE: verbal 168 quant 165 writing 5.5

Told that they consider domestic applicants first, and then look at international applications, so they didn't have space. I did not know this prior to getting the rejection. I would not have applied if I would have known this.

Just got accepted from a program. No need to be anxious now, Finally!! :) Btw, do you guys think it is a good idea to contact the program which I am waitlisted at for updates? Do I mention that I have an offer and want to hear from them? How do I word this? 

5 hours ago, georginazhou said:

Just got accepted from a program. No need to be anxious now, Finally!! :) Btw, do you guys think it is a good idea to contact the program which I am waitlisted at for updates? Do I mention that I have an offer and want to hear from them? How do I word this? 

You can if you want - it's a legitimate reason to say you have another program wanting an answer (and you don't want to hold on to a spot if you get into the other program). Just ask when you could expect an answer - if any.

@cindyboop 

I’m sure you’re feeling all sorts of emotions right now. I’m sorry you’re having a tough application cycle— I can certainly empathize. I had to go through multiple application cycles, and I’m so glad that I did. In the beginning, I was desperately trying to fit into programs for all the wrong reasons. This time- I learned to target exactly what I want and need. It took having more field experience to learn what i wanted.  If this is your dream, don’t let it go! Take this year to reflect, and read on what you really want to do. It’s true that research fit is a huge factor in the decision. (This May or may not be what has happened to your application). If you’re getting interviews, your application is certainly good enough! I once had a mentor say to me, “keep knocking on that door! It will open!” 

5 hours ago, Psychapplica said:

@cindyboop 

I’m sure you’re feeling all sorts of emotions right now. I’m sorry you’re having a tough application cycle— I can certainly empathize. I had to go through multiple application cycles, and I’m so glad that I did. In the beginning, I was desperately trying to fit into programs for all the wrong reasons. This time- I learned to target exactly what I want and need. It took having more field experience to learn what i wanted.  If this is your dream, don’t let it go! Take this year to reflect, and read on what you really want to do. It’s true that research fit is a huge factor in the decision. (This May or may not be what has happened to your application). If you’re getting interviews, your application is certainly good enough! I once had a mentor say to me, “keep knocking on that door! It will open!” 

Thank you! I am definitely going to keep trying until it happens. Hopefully things will work out in the end, I just need to shake it off (which has been tough).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...