Fall 2018 Psych PhD Interviews (not clinical)

vallaboop

Hey everyone! I've received one interview offer so far (wasn't expecting any until late December!), but have applied to University of Kentucky (CO, interview), University of Nebraska Lincoln (CO), UMass Boston (CO), Penn State (SO), University of Wisconsin Madison (CO), University of South Dakota (CL), and University of Tennessee (CO). Now that I've gotten the first interview invite I can't stop checking my email for more! 

School Name: University of Kentucky
Date Interview Invite Received: 12/14/17
Degree: PhD
Type: Counseling
Notified via: Email
Interview Date: 2/2/2018 
Additional Info: "Gathering" with graduate students on 2/1/2017

Edited by ezraontheinternet

14 hours ago, April12345 said:

I wondered that, too... IDK. I've seen mostly ones from the cognitive specialty. It's possible the other areas haven't done it yet (hopefully). I applied to the social psych area. Although, I admit that it was a bit of leap research-focus-wise for me.  

Good luck, though!!!

I also heard one interview from developmental psych in UCSD, but I have not seen anyone who had received social psych interview from it

@psychonerd @April12345 When I had my Skype interview with a prof from the UCSD cognitive area, he said that he got a list of people who identified him as a potential advisor in that drop-down list in the application, and then he chose the top group of people (sounded like 1/4 to 1/3 of his list) to Skype interview; after that, he recommends a subset of that group to the adcomm to invite to the official interview weekend. The invites are coordinated across the whole department at that point, so it's not 100% up to the profs who gets an interview invite. I hope that helps provide some context for the process! I imagine it's similar for profs in the other areas.

52 minutes ago, songofgallifrey said:

@psychonerd @April12345 When I had my Skype interview with a prof from the UCSD cognitive area, he said that he got a list of people who identified him as a potential advisor in that drop-down list in the application, and then he chose the top group of people (sounded like 1/4 to 1/3 of his list) to Skype interview; after that, he recommends a subset of that group to the adcomm to invite to the official interview weekend. The invites are coordinated across the whole department at that point, so it's not 100% up to the profs who gets an interview invite. I hope that helps provide some context for the process! I imagine it's similar for profs in the other areas.

Ya, you are probably right that its the same across the ex. psych. department. Well good luck to you!!! I'm sure the Skype interview only helps! This week will be a longggg one for us all I'm sure hahah

16 hours ago, ezraontheinternet said:

School Name: University of Kentucky
Date Interview Invite Received: 12/14/17
Type: Counseling
Interview Date: 2/2/2018 
Additional Info: "Gathering" with graduate students on 2/1/2017

Well I’m assuming I’m not getting an interview at Kentucky then! I did get one from Denver though. I also applied to Madison, and Tennessee as well and saw that Tennessee started sending theirs out as well as Madison so not crossing my fingers for those anymore. Also applied to ASU, North Dakota, Kansas City, Rochester(clinical), and Virginia Commonwealth. Good luck! I hope you get more interviews! 

5 hours ago, songofgallifrey said:

Thank you so much! That does help. :)

Good luck to you! 

1 hour ago, Psychologyandpizza said:

Well I’m assuming I’m not getting an interview at Kentucky then! I did get one from Denver though. I also applied to Madison, and Tennessee as well and saw that Tennessee started sending theirs out as well as Madison so not crossing my fingers for those anymore. Also applied to ASU, North Dakota, Kansas City, Rochester(clinical), and Virginia Commonwealth. Good luck! I hope you get more interviews! 

Good luck at Denver! I would love to live there. I think I've seen some people get interview invites for UTK's clinical program, but not counseling, which typically sends out invites in early January (looked at Results from last 2 years).

I just saw on Results that someone got an interview for Wisconsin today, and then two people got them on the 12th. Seems like they're splitting up the emails, so maybe there is still hope? That's what I'm going to tell myself lol. My POI invited me to call her in early November, and I thought it went pretty well. It was kind of a reach school for me, but I'll still be really devastated if I don't get an email.

School: Syracuse University

Track and/or specialization within psychology program: Social Psychology

Interview type: Skype Interview

Date Interview Invite Received: 12/19/2017

I just got an email this morning from my POI at Syracuse asking to set up a Skype interview. I'm very excited, but also terrified!

22 hours ago, ezraontheinternet said:

Good luck at Denver! I would love to live there. I think I've seen some people get interview invites for UTK's clinical program, but not counseling, which typically sends out invites in early January (looked at Results from last 2 years).

I just saw on Results that someone got an interview for Wisconsin today, and then two people got them on the 12th. Seems like they're splitting up the emails, so maybe there is still hope? That's what I'm going to tell myself lol. My POI invited me to call her in early November, and I thought it went pretty well. It was kind of a reach school for me, but I'll still be really devastated if I don't get an email.

Yep, got my rejection from Madison today but out of all my schools, it was the one that was a "reach", though I felt really qualified. I'm anticipating at least two more interviews based on pre-application Skype meetings with professors in those programs, but I don't like the waiting game. What are you doing in the meantime to keep yourself from compulsory email checking? 

1 hour ago, Psychologyandpizza said:

Yep, got my rejection from Madison today but out of all my schools, it was the one that was a "reach", though I felt really qualified. I'm anticipating at least two more interviews based on pre-application Skype meetings with professors in those programs, but I don't like the waiting game. What are you doing in the meantime to keep yourself from compulsory email checking? 

I got the rejection email today as well. I knew that my stats were going to be low, but was hoping that my pubs + letters would make up for it. Plus, 80% of Wisconsin's doctoral students come from a masters program, and I'm just now finishing undergrad, so that makes me feel a bit better.

I'm only expecting to hear from one more program within the next few days (Nebraska), and I won't hear from the rest until January. I've got a list of potential common interview questions for doctoral programs in psych, so I'm trying to answer those in hopes of being prepared when interviews do roll around. I'm also going to start really digging into recent pubs for my POI at Kentucky. I'm still checking my email every 10 minutes though, tbh.

Update: Just got the interview invitation from Nebraska! Now I can sit back and relax (not really) until January.

Edited by ezraontheinternet
Update

1 hour ago, 2stressed said:

School: Syracuse University

Track and/or specialization within psychology program: Social Psychology

Interview type: Skype Interview

Date Interview Invite Received: 12/19/2017

I just got an email this morning from my POI at Syracuse asking to set up a Skype interview. I'm very excited, but also terrified!

Good luck! I went there for undergrad, you can PM me if you have any questions :)

School Name: Brown University
Date Interview Invite Received: 12/19/17
Type: Cognitive Psychology (CLPS)
Interview Date: No on-site interviews this year. POI told me that they would conduct all interviews via Skype.

1 hour ago, appletoapple said:

Anyone heard from UCLA, Davis, and Oregon for developmental area?

I know some heard for quant from Davis and I heard for bio-psych but I know we received them on different days and from different coordinators so you may still have a couple days before you hear!

Having not heard from WIsconsin-Madison I dont know if that's a good or bad thing. Furthermore, none of the POIs I emailed, skyped me or even discussed anything in length over e-mail. oh wells.

4 hours ago, appletoapple said:

Anyone heard from UCLA, Davis, and Oregon for developmental area?

I heard from UC Davis for Quant Psych, but I got the impression the different areas are doing their own thing. I'm also under the impression UCLA hasn't sent out any official invites for anything yet (although this might be my hopeful thinking). The little contact I've heard about from UCLA has been very informal skype stuff, not official invites.

Edited by Quant_Psych_2018

12 hours ago, Quant_Psych_2018 said:

I heard from UC Davis for Quant Psych, but I got the impression the different areas are doing their own thing. I'm also under the impression UCLA hasn't sent out any official invites for anything yet (although this might be my hopeful thinking). The little contact I've heard about from UCLA has been very informal skype stuff, not official invites.

Ya I just woke up to an email from UCLA.......so frustrating all it said "your application has been received"......so it looks like they are still getting their bearings after the change in apps.

4 minutes ago, psychonerd said:

Ya I just woke up to an email from UCLA.......so frustrating all it said "your application has been received"......so it looks like they are still getting their bearings after the change in apps.

I got that same email. I was both annoyed and relieved at the same time. It had been a worry that I hadn’t heard anything yet (historically they send invites by now), but with how nightmarish that Application was, I’m not surprised. 

1 minute ago, Quant_Psych_2018 said:

I got that same email. I was both annoyed and relieved at the same time. It had been a worry that I hadn’t heard anything yet (historically they send invites by now), but with how nightmarish that Application was, I’m not surprised. 

Ya, I felt like I had to just laugh it off. I don't have too much faith in myself getting in there or into Berkeley but I gotta try..especially with that awful switch right near the deadline I thought at least some applicants may be discouraged and I'd have a better chance! hahah wishful thinking...

also congrats on UC Davis! I'll see you there if its the one at the end of January :) pm me if you wanna bounce ideas or talk about the program!!

Hello all! I figured I would share my responses thus far, as I too am struggling with the waiting game.

School Name: UC San Diego
Date Interview Invite Received: 12/12/17
Type: Social
Interview Date: 12/13/2017
Additional Info: Talked on the phone for quite a while and the PI brought up the open house in early February. In response to my "thank you" letter, the PI suggested that there was strong compatibility between our research interests and that they hope to see me at the open house.

School Name: UT Austin
Date Interview Invite Received: 12/18/17 (from PI) and 12/20/2017 (official)
Type: Cognitive
Interview Date: 2/22/2018
Additional Info: Must be there from 21st-23rd, reimbursement for flight, and two nights accommodation included.

11 minutes ago, MixedMethods said:

Hello all! I figured I would share my responses thus far, as I too am struggling with the waiting game.

School Name: UC San Diego
Date Interview Invite Received: 12/12/17
Type: Social
Interview Date: 12/13/2017
Additional Info: Talked on the phone for quite a while and the PI brought up the open house in early February. In response to my "thank you" letter, the PI suggested that there was strong compatibility between our research interests and that they hope to see me at the open house.

School Name: UT Austin
Date Interview Invite Received: 12/18/17 (from PI) and 12/20/2017 (official)
Type: Cognitive
Interview Date: 2/22/2018
Additional Info: Must be there from 21st-23rd, reimbursement for flight, and two nights accommodation included.

Aw man, I applied to UT Austin. This is the first time I saw someone receive an invite from a school I applied to. I applied to Social though-- Did you receive an email from the department/grad coordinator, or did you receive an email from the PI specifically?

Congratulations though, that must be relieving to have heard from a couple.

Edited by Stauce

10 minutes ago, Stauce said:

Aw man, I applied to UT Austin. This is the first time I saw someone receive an invite from a school I applied to. I applied to Social though-- Did you receive an email from the department/grad coordinator, or did you receive an email from the PI specifically?

Congratulations though, that must be relieving to have heard from a couple.

I received an email directly from the PI first, just to see if the 22nd of January would work for an interview. I said I would have to check with work and let them know ASAP. They then told me that the 22nd seemed to work for the others that were contacted, and I informed them that I could indeed make it. 

A couple hours later, I received an official email from the department. But like I said, it was for cognitive psych. So maybe they haven't gotten to social yet? I haven't seen anyone else post about UT Austin either.

1 minute ago, MixedMethods said:

I received an email directly from the PI first, just to see if the 22nd of January would work for an interview. I said I would have to check with work and let them know ASAP. They then told me that the 22nd seemed to work for the others that were contacted, and I informed them that I could indeed make it. 

A couple hours later, I received an official email from the department. But like I said, it was for cognitive psych. So maybe they haven't gotten to social yet? I haven't seen anyone else post about UT Austin either.

Thanks for the update. Even if I am not invited, can't expect to recieve invites from every school! Oh well.