Fall 2018 Psych PhD Interviews (not clinical)

vallaboop

Hey, thanks for starting this thread! 

I applied to four schools for cognitive and/or developmental programs: University of Maryland (not psych dept), Kent State University, University of Pittsburgh, and Carnegie Mellon.

Interviews I've received so far:

School: University of Maryland, College Park
Track and/or specialization within psychology program: Human Development Department w/ Developmental concentration
Interview type: In-Person interview weekend
Date: Feb. 15th - 16th
Notes: Met with POI in person. Professor I didn't apply to reached out to me and I will be meeting with him during the interview weekend as well. Invited via email on Dec. 21st.

School: University of Pittsburgh
Track and/or specialization within psychology program: Cognitive, Developmental
Date: Feb. 16th - 17th (Developmental), Feb 22nd - 23rd (Cognitive)
Notes: Contacted via email on Dec. 22nd

School: Kent State University 
Track and/or specialization within psychology program: Cognitive 
Date: Feb. 2nd - 3rd
Notes: Spoke with POI via Skype on Dec. 12th and she invited me to the interview weekend.

Does anyone know when CMU usually sends out anything?

Edited by applesauceboss

10 hours ago, rnf13 said:

Anyone else not heard back about interviews or anything? I'm starting to get super nervous. I applied to 6 programs, all social psych PhD, and feel I'm a really strong candidate. But the interview weekends all seem to be in mid/late January and I expected to have an invite or two by now :(

Have you seen the school posted in the results survey? If not, I would try to avoid getting too anxious about it (I know, it is impossible). Most schools haven't sent out invites yet (an exception possible in Clinical though, they seem crazy on top of invites). I've only heard from 1/9 of the schools I applied to.

10 hours ago, rnf13 said:

Anyone else not heard back about interviews or anything? I'm starting to get super nervous. I applied to 6 programs, all social psych PhD, and feel I'm a really strong candidate. But the interview weekends all seem to be in mid/late January and I expected to have an invite or two by now :(

I sincerely think you don't need to worry. Myself, as well as various others, are also social psychology and haven't heard from anyone (besides maybe some informal conversations). In examining past trends, it seems like some social psychology programs reach out around 12/20-12/23, but then it seems like a fair amount reach out and invite around the first week to week and a half of January. It seems like the very earliest interview weekend I have seen is 1/19-1/21. I think there's time for things to play out and end up positive.

16 hours ago, rnf13 said:

I applied to 13 programs, all social psych PhD. Haven't heard anything from any of them, apart from some "Merry Christmas," "Happy holiday" type mass emails. I feel so uneasy and restless. The 13 schools I applied to are: UC Berkeley, UC San Diego, UC Davis, UC Riverside, UCLA,  NYU, Columbia, Stanford, Cornell, Uni of Utah, Uni of Florida, South Illinois Uni, Purdue. 

GRE: V158/Q164/W4.0. My undergrad GPA is really low: 2.69, but my grad GPA is OK: 3.69. However, my BA is in English, and my Maters degree is in Education. 1 publication and 2 conference presentations, but both were in the field of Education, not Psych. Currently, enrolled in a Post-Bac Psych program. 2 psych Lab research assistant experience, but not very long, less than half a year. Applying to one of the lab I am currently doing RA for, also one of my LoRs is from this Lab. But I haven't hear anything from this lab either. I saw people posted interview invites from this school in social psych, I am now just feeling like arhhh......

Who can relate? 

To be honest with you, based on what the survey page says, I would say it looks like this for you:

UC Berkeley: Almost certainly rejected

UCLA: Likely rejected (Some emails seem to have went out for invites this week)

NYU: Maybe rejected

Columbia: Maybe rejected (Saw an invite for unspecified psychology field)

I wouldn't lose hope though. It seems a lot of schools don't get back to you until after the first week of January.

Edited by Stauce

2 hours ago, Stauce said:

To be honest with you, based on what the survey page says, I would say it looks like this for you:

UC Berkeley: Almost certainly rejected

UCLA: Likely rejected (Some emails seem to have went out for invites this week)

NYU: Maybe rejected

Columbia: Maybe rejected (Saw an invite for unspecified psychology field)

I wouldn't lose hope though. It seems a lot of schools don't get back to you until after the first week of January.

Yea..... I saw them and figured. Gosh this is a stressful period to go through ?

Has anyone heard anything from University of Iowa, or University of Missouri (Mizzou) for cognitive psych? I saw someone posted that they were invited to interview at Iowa, but didn't specify what sub-field of psychology.

30 minutes ago, np1917 said:

Has anyone heard anything from University of Iowa, or University of Missouri (Mizzou) for cognitive psych? I saw someone posted that they were invited to interview at Iowa, but didn't specify what sub-field of psychology.

All the University of Iowa's on survey have specified the subfield of psychology (1xchild-clinical, 2xcounseling, 1xcognitive, 1xclinical, and 1xexperimental). The one that specified as cognitive says it was an informal contact, so I wouldn't worry. https://www.thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q=iowa&t=a&o=&pp=25 I've only seen school psychology pop up for MIZZOU so far. 

8 hours ago, georginazhou said:

Did anyone contact the admission office or POIs for application updates? Should we? 

I wouldn't suggest until after the new year unless there was a stated notification deadline listed on the program website that has passed already. Its tough I know (I went through the process twice) but hang in there.

School Name: Brown University
Date Interview Invite Received: 12/24/17
Degree: Ph.D.
Type: Cognitive Science
Notified via: Email
Interview Date: 12/26 - 12/29
Additional info: Skype Interview

Edited by kli

I had a Skype interview with my POI at University of Michigan in the Cognition and Cognitive Neuroscience (CCN) Program last weekend, and just got an invitation for the recruitment weekend!

• School name: University of Michigan
  • Date interview invite received: December 22
  • Degree: PhD
  • Type: Psychology
  • Notified via: Email
  • Interview date: February 15-17
Edited by songofgallifrey
Sent too soon

I also found out on Sunday that I've been invited to Penn State's recruitment weekend for the cognitive area! I had a Skype call with my POI about a week and a half ago.

• School name: Pennsylvania State (Penn State)
  • Date interview invite received: December 24
Edited by songofgallifrey

9 hours ago, songofgallifrey said:

I also found out on Sunday that I've been invited to Penn State's recruitment weekend for the cognitive area! I had a Skype call with my POI about a week and a half ago.

Congrats! An interview invite on Christmas eve, what a great gift! (not trying to be insensitive if you don't celebrate Christmas...) 

1 hour ago, Stauce said:

Looks like interviews for UCR weren't offered until January 11 and 12th last year. I would wait until early January before you get concerned.

oh really? I saw some post UCR interview invites on Dec 9th in the results section, so I was like...:o

On 12/26/2017 at 8:00 AM, cindyboop said:

Congrats! An interview invite on Christmas eve, what a great gift! (not trying to be insensitive if you don't celebrate Christmas...) 

Thank you!! I do celebrate Christmas, so it was a great gift :) 

On 12/26/2017 at 1:50 AM, loffire said:

@songofgallifrey Ive seen clinical and ccn for umich appearing but not for biopsych which is where I applied. Your invite was sent by the department or your POI? and congratulations on the invites!

My invite was sent by my POI in the CCN area, not the department at large. Wishing you best of luck in the biopsych area!

57 minutes ago, songofgallifrey said:

Thank you!! I do celebrate Christmas, so it was a great gift :) 

My invite was sent by my POI in the CCN area, not the department at large. Wishing you best of luck in the biopsych area!

Regardless of whether or not I hear from them, nail the interview! (on my behalf ;))

School:Kent State

Track and/or specialization within psychology program: Developmental

Interview type:Skype; then invited to in person

Date:Feb 9th- 10th

School:West Virginia University

Track and/or specialization within psychology program: Life Span/Developmental

Interview type:In Person

Date:Jan 26-27th

Have not heard back from Mizzou, Univ. of Utah, North Dakota State University, Alabama or Virginia tech but I wont start worrying until the end of January. 

• Date interview invite received: December 21
  • Type: Developmental Psychology
  • Interview date: February 23-24
  • Date (phone) interview invite received: December 19
  • Notified via: Phone
  • School name: Northwestern University
  • Date interview invite received: December 16
  • Type: Social Psychology
  • Interview date: February 1-3
  • School name: UCLA
  • Interview date: February 2-3

26 minutes ago, ilikepsych said:
  • Date interview invite received: December 21
  • Interview date: February 23-24
  • Date (phone) interview invite received: December 19
  • Notified via: Phone
  • School name: Northwestern University
  • Date interview invite received: December 16
  • Type: Social Psychology
  • Interview date: February 1-3
  • School name: UCLA
  • Interview date: February 2-3

@ilikepsych would you mind DMing me your POI for UCLA ? I can message you mine as well!