Fall 2018 Psych PhD Interviews (not clinical)

vallaboop

1 hour ago, georginazhou said:

Anyone heard from UC Davis and/or Purdue for social psych area? 

I didn’t apply to UC Davis myself, but three of my friends applying to social psych received interview invites roughly a week before Christmas from there. Good luck with Purdue — I haven’t heard of anyone hearing back from them for social yet! :) 

Hi! New to this website, but thought I would add:

School Name: UC Berkeley
Date Interview Invite Received: January 4, 2018
Degree: PhD
Type: Developmental
Notified via: Email
Interview Date: January 22-23rd, 2018 
Additional Info: I also saw on the website that they sent all their interview invites in mid-December, so by late December I lost hope for this school, but as you can see, I wasn't notified until early January which came as a huge shock!! So moral of the story, don't lose hope just yet!

2 hours ago, Sushicat1221 said:

Additional Info: I also saw on the website that they sent all their interview invites in mid-December, so by late December I lost hope for this school, but as you can see, I wasn't notified until early January which came as a huge shock!! So moral of the story, don't lose hope just yet!

WOW! That's crazy...there is still hope!!! Congrats thats really exciting..when you go try to keep in mind some of the questions they ask because I'd love to pick your brain after over a forum!! 

3 hours ago, Sushicat1221 said:

OMG I love this. Congratulations. 

I actually work at Cal in the cog. neuro area and my lab also just sent out another invitation this weekend. Also, in the past one student who was later admitted, initially was not invited to interview weekend, then received an official rejection - but after receiving an NSF Grant was able to convince the department to admit him :lol: I heard this story straight from the department chair. Moral of the story never lose hope everyone and always be your own advocate - amazing things can happen.

Cal has some great faculty - so wishing you best of luck at interviews. 

1 hour ago, psychonerd said:

WOW! That's crazy...there is still hope!!! Congrats thats really exciting..when you go try to keep in mind some of the questions they ask because I'd love to pick your brain after over a forum!! 

Thanks so much! Haha will do! Feel free to message me. :)

38 minutes ago, hg92 said:

OMG I love this. Congratulations. 

I actually work at Cal in the cog. neuro area and my lab also just sent out another invitation this weekend. Also, in the past one student who was later admitted, initially was not invited to interview weekend, then received an official rejection - but after receiving an NSF Grant was able to convince the department to admit him :lol: I heard this story straight from the department chair. Moral of the story never lose hope everyone and always be your own advocate - amazing things can happen.

Cal has some great faculty - so wishing you best of luck at interviews. 

Thanks so much!! Yeah, I've heard things like that happening as well.
I was actually so sad when I read that interview invites were sent out and that it was unlikely to move on to the next round, but they did say final decisions were still being made. So when I opened my e-mails and saw that it was from UC Berkeley I basically happy-danced for a good few hours. :P 

On 1/6/2018 at 11:24 AM, Pandora! said:

Very excited to receive my first interview!!!  Would love to hear about the department /program a bit more if any of you have some info?

• School name: City University New York (CUNY)
  • Date interview invite received: Jan 6th 2018
  • Degree: PhD
  • Type: Critical Social and Personality Psychology
  • Notified via: Email
  • Interview date: February 7th 2018

P.S- Any news from UMich Social Psych??

If you're willing, would you mind privately messaging me your POI?  I would truly appreciate it, but I understand if you'd rather keep it private. :)

Can seeming overly excited about an interview be a bad thing? Also, does anyone have any advice on how to deal with an interview that's essentially two days long? One day formal, the rest informal with students. 

Hi! Has anyone heard anything about UCLA? It looks like the developmental and social areas have sent out invitations, but haven't seen anything for cognitive?

17 minutes ago, Dviouz said:

Hi! Has anyone heard anything about UCLA? It looks like the developmental and social areas have sent out invitations, but haven't seen anything for cognitive?

I applied for the cognitive area as well, but haven't heard anything yet.

On 12/31/2017 at 11:46 AM, April12345 said:

I don't have any further information :( - but I just wanted to say that I applied to the same area and haven't heard anything, other than emailing back and forth with the graduate director in early December due to some transcript issues. 

I saw that same invite and it seems to line up with last year's invite dates, but I thought it was strange that there has only been one report so far. I'm still holding out hope! Good luck!

I received a phone call on 12/18 inviting me for an interview on Jan 21-22...not sure if you've heard since then, but they quickly sent me an email with lots of information and instructions for the interview.

School Name: University of Utah
Date Interview Invite Received: January 8, 2018
Degree: Ph.D
Type: Cognition and Neural Science
Interview Date: February 9, 2018 
Additional Info: I had an informal Skype interview with POI prior to submitting my application. I've been invited to attend a dinner, a department party, and a diversity breakfast with full reimbursement

30 minutes ago, GR1196 said:

I received a phone call on 12/18 inviting me for an interview on Jan 21-22...not sure if you've heard since then, but they quickly sent me an email with lots of information and instructions for the interview.

Thank you for the info! I haven't heard anything so I'm assuming it's a no-go. But good luck to you!!! :)

12 hours ago, cindyboop said:

Can seeming overly excited about an interview be a bad thing? Also, does anyone have any advice on how to deal with an interview that's essentially two days long? One day formal, the rest informal with students. 

I'm not entirely sure about "overly" excited, but you should definitely be enthusiastic and engaged, but still composed. All about the balance! Regarding the marathon interviewing, part of the game is always having to be "on." Even in informal settings with grad students, they can and will report back anything you do. If you're a great guest that can help, but even though this should go without saying, don't do anything egregious! Prepare ahead of time so that you aren't fatigued or mess up your sleep pattern, especially if you're traveling. Bring protein bars and take a bathroom break when you can and recompose yourself. Be yourself and let your personality shine through! And remember, these weekends are for you to get to know the program, lab, and students/mentors, so you should be asking questions. Plus, that's a good way to deflect if you're feeling nervous.

School Name: University of Miami (FL)

Interview Type: phone interview
Date Interview Invite Received: January 8, 2018
Degree: Ph.D
Type: Developmental Psychology
Additional Info: This is fairly confusing. My POI doesn't have funding to accept a student but another POI contacted me to talk this week based on a close research match. I have no idea if this is actually a phone interview and thought that most/all invites had been extended? 

For those who got interviews at the University of Northern Colorado for the counseling psychology program — did you get the sense that all of the invitations were extended?  Did they offer one interview day or could you choose one of two? Feel free to PM me! Thanks!

10 hours ago, b_l91 said:

I'm not entirely sure about "overly" excited, but you should definitely be enthusiastic and engaged, but still composed. All about the balance! Regarding the marathon interviewing, part of the game is always having to be "on." Even in informal settings with grad students, they can and will report back anything you do. If you're a great guest that can help, but even though this should go without saying, don't do anything egregious! Prepare ahead of time so that you aren't fatigued or mess up your sleep pattern, especially if you're traveling. Bring protein bars and take a bathroom break when you can and recompose yourself. Be yourself and let your personality shine through! And remember, these weekends are for you to get to know the program, lab, and students/mentors, so you should be asking questions. Plus, that's a good way to deflect if you're feeling nervous.

Thank you for the advice! I'll try to keep all that in mind. I am travelling and I haven't been on a plane in a long time so I'm hoping that doesn't throw me off my game. On the flip side, maybe the flight will allow me to get all my nervous energy out before I get there. Fingers crossed...

I was just asked to interview by my POI at the University of South Florida. I applied to their CNS program with a focus on social psychology and had been in contact with my POI prior to applying. I'm super excited!