Fall 2018 Psych PhD Interviews (not clinical)

vallaboop

On 12/28/2017 at 8:33 PM, Developmental33 said:

School:Kent State

Track and/or specialization within psychology program: Developmental

Interview type:Skype; then invited to in person

Date:Feb 9th- 10th

School:West Virginia University

Track and/or specialization within psychology program: Life Span/Developmental

Interview type:In Person

Date:Jan 26-27th

Have not heard back from Mizzou, Univ. of Utah, North Dakota State University, Alabama or Virginia tech but I wont start worrying until the end of January. 

Would you happen to know if all the invites for kent’s Dev. Have gone out?

1 hour ago, rnf13 said:

Just received a phone interview invitation from CU Boulder. Super excited as this is my top choice!

Just received a phone interview from CU Boulder as well! :) First interview invite that’s social neuroscience-based, so I’m excited. Here’s hoping it all goes well for both of us! 

I'm so excited for all of you guys who have gotten skype interviews and/or interview invites!! Reading about them on this thread really brightens my day :) 

I applied to two programs at Pitt (Cognitive and Developmental) to work with two different people. A few weeks ago, I was recommended for interviews for both programs by one POI who is accepting students for either program. I ended up choosing to only attend the interview weekend for the cog program because the dev program interview overlaps with my interview at UMD (Human Dev, College of Education). My POI for the dev program recently reached out to me, informed me that I was short-listed, and invited me to a Skype interview with him, his grad students, post doc, and lab manager. 

Has anyone been told that they are short-listed? What does this mean? Should I prepare for anything in addition to how I would prep if I were just speaking with my POI?

6 hours ago, applesauceboss said:

I'm so excited for all of you guys who have gotten skype interviews and/or interview invites!! Reading about them on this thread really brightens my day :) 

I applied to two programs at Pitt (Cognitive and Developmental) to work with two different people. A few weeks ago, I was recommended for interviews for both programs by one POI who is accepting students for either program. I ended up choosing to only attend the interview weekend for the cog program because the dev program interview overlaps with my interview at UMD (Human Dev, College of Education). My POI for the dev program recently reached out to me, informed me that I was short-listed, and invited me to a Skype interview with him, his grad students, post doc, and lab manager. 

Has anyone been told that they are short-listed? What does this mean? Should I prepare for anything in addition to how I would prep if I were just speaking with my POI?

Congratulations! 

I can’t speak for Pitt, but this happened to me last year. It could be a POI’s short list or an overall program shortlist. Last year with TSU Knoxville, I was shortlisted by my POI after a phone interview. He was very kind and honest- so maybe just ask more questions in your case? In my case, if the individual/s in front of me declined interview or admissions, I moved up his short list which consisted of 4 individuals. Hope this helps!

would you happen to know when the dev. Pitt interview is and if they have sent out all their interview invitations?

thanks!

On 1/8/2018 at 10:50 PM, Psychologyandpizza said:

For those who got interviews at the University of Northern Colorado for the counseling psychology program — did you get the sense that all of the invitations were extended?  Did they offer one interview day or could you choose one of two? Feel free to PM me! Thanks!

It seemed like they were all extended of UNC Counseling, because the interview email came from the Program Assistant rather than my POI. There is only one date (2/9). But the invitations only went out two days ago, so there may still be spaces open as interviews are turned down! 

Applied (10): University of Kentucky (CO), Oklahoma State University (Cl), Arizona State University (Co), University of Colorado Denver (Cl),  University of Northern Colorado (Co), University of Denver (PsyD), Indiana State University (PsyD), University of Maryland - College Park (CFT/FMSC), Purdue University (HDFS), Virginia Tech (HDFS)

Interview Offered (5/10): University of Kentucky (CO), Oklahoma State University (Cl), University of Northern Colorado (Co), Virginia Tech (HDFS),  University of Maryland - College Park (CFT/FMSC)

Accepted (?/10): 

Rejected (?/10): 

I thought I saw a while ago that someone had a phone interview with their PoI for the Counseling Psychology program at the U of Minnesota. If that's you, would you mind sending me your PoI initials? And congrats! I heard that UMN only does phone interviews and then invites admitted students to a welcome weekend.

School: University of Maryland, College Park

Track and/or specialization within psychology program: Developmental

Interview type: Skype; Then invited to an in-person interview

Date: Feb 11th- 12th

10 hours ago, Psychapplica said:

Congratulations! 

I can’t speak for Pitt, but this happened to me last year. It could be a POI’s short list or an overall program shortlist. Last year with TSU Knoxville, I was shortlisted by my POI after a phone interview. He was very kind and honest- so maybe just ask more questions in your case? In my case, if the individual/s in front of me declined interview or admissions, I moved up his short list which consisted of 4 individuals. Hope this helps!

would you happen to know when the dev. Pitt interview is and if they have sent out all their interview invitations?

thanks!

Thank you for the insight! :) And I'm not sure if the dev program has sent out all their interview invitations but the days I was notified of was Feb. 15th-16th for the dev interview.

18 hours ago, applesauceboss said:

First off, congrats on the interview invitations!

Being short-listed means you are on a very short-list of candidates being considered for the position after all applications have been reviewed.... you are on step closer to being offered a spot in the program(but you are still being compared to other candidates - who will be interviewed as well.

The PI I at Cal who I work for does this. We are interviewing four students in total for one final spot and this seems to be a trend. However, some years we take nobody and other years some PIs take more than one candidates. However, I do not believe all PIs practice this policy....some may only invite one or two people to interview. Best of luck....I'm sure you will rock the interviews! :D

Edited by hg92
adding more

Also, has anybody heard from Stanford's Affective Science Area?

I haven't seen anything updating in the official admissions forum - but believe Stanford typically begins to reach out about this time of year....

Edited by hg92

Does anyone know how University of Wisconsin-Madison makes its admission decisions. I reached out to a professor pre-application and he emailed me about a week ago saying he wasn't going to extend me an invitation so I assumed I was rejected. However, I recently heard from another professor in the cognition program who wants to skype with me. I was under the impression that most programs make interview/admission decisions as a group. Is this different across universities? 

Area: Social, Personality and Social Contexts, Combined Psych Ed, Critical Social/Personality

Applied: UC Santa Cruz, U of Michigan (P&SC, CPEP), CUNY

Interviews: 2/4 (UCSC, CUNY)

Accepted: ?/4

Rejected: ?/4

1 hour ago, AlexandraGrissell said:

Area: Social, Personality and Social Contexts, Combined Psych Ed, Critical Social/Personality

I currently attend UCSC as an undergrad so let me know if you have any questions about the department! Best of luck! 

On 1/6/2018 at 11:26 AM, georginazhou said:

Anyone heard from UC Davis and/or Purdue for social psych area? 

Emailed POI at UC Davis (Sherman) and he let me know I was not accepted. Hope that helps.

School: CUNY

Track: BASP

Interview Type: Campus Interview

Dates: Feb 7th-8th

However I won't be attending since I already got into one of my top choice schools. So if anyone is waiting for a CUNY spot here you go!!

Edited by Torple

On 1/10/2018 at 10:06 PM, Cognition001 said:

Does anyone know how University of Wisconsin-Madison makes its admission decisions. I reached out to a professor pre-application and he emailed me about a week ago saying he wasn't going to extend me an invitation so I assumed I was rejected. However, I recently heard from another professor in the cognition program who wants to skype with me. I was under the impression that most programs make interview/admission decisions as a group. Is this different across universities? 

@Cognition001 I would say just because one professor doesn't want you, doesn't mean any of the others you listed won't want you as well. I think prof. 1 just meant you weren't a good fit for his lab so he personally would not recommend you for admission. The other prof. probably thinks you're a great fit for his own lab, thus the interview. 

12 hours ago, AlexandraGrissell said:

Hey! If it's ok, would you mind sending me your POI for both UCSC and CUNY? :)

On 1/10/2018 at 10:05 AM, Magic7090 said:

It seemed like they were all extended of UNC Counseling, because the interview email came from the Program Assistant rather than my POI. There is only one date (2/9). But the invitations only went out two days ago, so there may still be spaces open as interviews are turned down! 

Welp, I received an invitation today - So maybe I will see you there ( I have two other invitations for the same day so I am carefully trying to navigate that situation)! 

School: UCLA

Track and/or specialization within psychology program: Cognitive

Interview type: In Person

Date: Feb 16-17th

I had previously skyped and emailed frequently with this professor. So far, this is my first choice and am so happy to have gotten an invitation!

Edited by Dviouz
messed up the date