Fall 2018 Psych PhD Interviews (not clinical)

vallaboop

In case people were wondering about University of Virginia (Community Psychology)--POI emailed today asking to chat about my research interests next week, and told me to save the date for "recruitment/interview weekend" (Feb 9-10) in case I make it to the next round. 

Anyone who applied to UC Riverside has any updates from them? Contacted POI around Christmas, and being told to the admission outcome will probably be a while. BTW, if anyone want to share about POI at UC Riverside, pls DM me. 

Edited by georginazhou

1 hour ago, georginazhou said:

Anyone applied to University of Utah, University of Florida, or Southern Illinois University heard anything from them?

I haven't heard anything back form Utah. I talked to one of the professors before submitting my application (POI: LR) and he encouraged me to apply and was interested so I wouldn't start sweating yet. Though i believe the interview weekend is Feb 9th so hopefully we hear something by next week. I can't go anyways because I already confirmed another school on the same weekend.  

Edited by Developmental33

University of Michigan Combined ed and Psychology Program mentioned in a previous email that people who were admitted would know by Jan 12 (today). Curious if folks who applied have gotten an acceptance from them?

27 minutes ago, AlexandraGrissell said:

University of Michigan Combined ed and Psychology Program mentioned in a previous email that people who were admitted would know by Jan 12 (today). Curious if folks who applied have gotten an acceptance from them?

There's one entry in the results search of someone who heard from their POI about admittance to the CPEP program via phone call on January 10. 

On 12/30/2017 at 2:38 PM, Exh1994 said:

I saw that one person got invited to UC Irvine's interview weekend for the Social area at the end of January. Has anyone else heard from UC Irvine? They reached out early in December saying that my application looks very favorable and mentioning an issue with funding and that they'd notify me as things change. A few days later their website got updated indicating that the funding issue got resolved, but I haven't been contacted again. I assume that for an end-of-January weekend the invites must have been sent out already - does anyone who has applied to UC Irvine's Social area have more information by any chance? Thanks! 

On 12/31/2017 at 10:46 AM, April12345 said:

I don't have any further information :( - but I just wanted to say that I applied to the same area and haven't heard anything, other than emailing back and forth with the graduate director in early December due to some transcript issues. 

I saw that same invite and it seems to line up with last year's invite dates, but I thought it was strange that there has only been one report so far. I'm still holding out hope! Good luck!

do you think the funding issue translated to less invites this year

How is everyone able to afford all the travel costs?!?!?!!! Does anyone have any tips, tricks, websites, etc.? I just got back from an interview, and now I’m trying to plan for another one. Neither offer travel reimbursement (both at least are paying for meals). I was able to drive to the first (6 hour drive) I do not want to drive to another one (9 hour drive). 

?

8 minutes ago, Psychapplica said:

How is everyone able to afford all the travel costs?!?!?!!! Does anyone have any tips, tricks, websites, etc.? I just got back from an interview, and now I’m trying to plan for another one. Neither offer travel reimbursement (both at least are paying for meals). I was able to drive to the first (6 hour drive) I do not want to drive to another one (9 hour drive). 

?

Other than trying to strategically buy your plane tickets (e.g., google flights, day of the week, buying two one-way tix, clearing your browsing history/cookies or using incognito), I'm not sure there's a way around this. Personally, it's a situation where I have to bite the bullet so to speak and dip into my savings. One of my interviews is drivable which I'm very thankful about, but this process has been financially exhausting. Hopefully your programs offer housing with graduate students like mine do, otherwise I don't think I'd be able to go to all of them.

16 hours ago, AlexandraGrissell said:

I was told I got in yesterday. 

School: UW Madison

Track and/or specialization within psychology program: Educational Psychology, Measurement Focus

Interview type: Skype interview, accepted to program 2-days later with an invitation to Visiting Day

Date: 12/22/2017

Also had interviews with PSU's HDFS program and UCSB's Education PhD.

Edited by MutedSeraph

31 minutes ago, Mana99 said:

Has any one heard  anything from USC  Brain and Cognitive Science program (besides preliminary Skype interviews)? What about UC-Irvine?Did they send out interview invites?

UC Irvine sent out interview invites a few weeks ago...

Hi Everyone! 

For those of you who were invited to Brown's CLPS open house, may I please learn whether you've been notified by your PI or with a mass email and what is the date of it?

Also, if anyone has heard from Harvard's Psychology grad program, I would really appreciated the answers to the same questions as well.

Thank you very much!

9 hours ago, Exh1994 said:

Quite possibly...did you apply to the program as well? 

Yes! My status is still "under review" but considering their interview weekend supposedly is at the end of this month... it's just a little odd that I haven't heard about invites (besides the one person in the survey)

School: CU-Boulder

Track and/or specialization within psychology program: Social Psych

Interview type: In Person

Date: Feb 4-6

Phone interview went well! :) unfortunately, the main interview weekend conflicts with the interview weekend for Northwestern, so they’re having me come and interview that Sunday through Tuesday as a result. It’s going to be an extremely hectic six days, but I’m totally stoked! 

44 minutes ago, ZachOxford said:

School: CU-Boulder

Track and/or specialization within psychology program: Social Psych

Interview type: In Person

Date: Feb 4-6

Phone interview went well! :) unfortunately, the main interview weekend conflicts with the interview weekend for Northwestern, so they’re having me come and interview that Sunday through Tuesday as a result. It’s going to be an extremely hectic six days, but I’m totally stoked! 

I'm interviewing too! That's really nice that they're so accommodating of your schedule. Good luck at both!

School: IU Bloomington

Track and/or specialization within psychology program: Inquiry Methodology within the Education PhD

Interview type: Skype

Date: Before apps; PI e-mailed me saying they thought I'd be a good fit. Skyped twice and e-mailed prior to app deadline.

18 hours ago, Psychapplica said:

?

@Psychapplica studentuniverse.com is a good place for cheap flights

On 1/12/2018 at 6:13 PM, AlexandraGrissell said:

Acceptances should have gone out—I received a phone call from my POI. There is a waiting list of applicants and I’m assuming those people will be notified soon, if not already. 

Hey All!

So I have a question about something.

Back in November a professor told me to save the date for an interview because they weren't allowed to formally invite me yet. I reached to them recently to send an application update and they replied but seemed much more cagey.  

I know the program has begun to offer formal interview invites so I'm thinking they aren't going to formally invite me to interview. 

I'm okay with not getting an interview at that program but am a little peeved at a professor for saying something and then going back on it. Should I say something? My intention would be to stop this from happening to students in the future.