Fall 2018 Admission

deleteaccount

On 2018/3/15 at 2:20 PM, keceli said:

Thanks for the reply. Actually, there are a number of professors at UW-Madison that I am interested in working with whereas there is only one person at WashU that I am barely interested in. The only thing is that UW offers 10k-a-year less of a stipend that WashU since it's a public school and all. But I don't find it important as I am not gonna be doing a PhD for money. Yes, money is important, but not this much. What matters is the quality of research that you can produce. But thanks again!

Hi, I am also complaining this. I was admitted into another program at UW. They only provide me 12K for stipend. You know what's the funny thing? The Ph.D. student from other program can enjoy 22K for stipend. Feel so unfair!  

22 hours ago, YAO ZHAO said:

Hi, I am also complaining this. I was admitted into another program at UW. They only provide me 12K for stipend. You know what's the funny thing? The Ph.D. student from other program can enjoy 22K for stipend. Feel so unfair!  

Hey!

I see what you're saying. It's just the amount of funding that different departments get for their research. What I mean is that one should not expect a Anthropology department to have more money than a CS department because the level of support that they get from the school and outside sources (like NSF) are very different. It is what it is :(

Actually $20K for a CS PhD student (if they are offered funding) is around average or less. There are many schools that pay students much more than $25K. There are even ones that pay $30K and more (like Washington University in St. Louis).

58 minutes ago, keceli said:

Hey!

I see what you're saying. It's just the amount of funding that different departments get for their research. What I mean is that one should not expect a Anthropology department to have more money than a CS department because the level of support that they get from the school and outside sources (like NSF) are very different. It is what it is :(

Actually $20K for a CS PhD student (if they are offered funding) is around average or less. There are many schools that pay students much more than $25K. There are even ones that pay $30K and more (like Washington University in St. Louis).

So how much can you get in UW-Madison? 

5 minutes ago, YAO ZHAO said:

So how much can you get in UW-Madison? 

Funded CS students usually get a base stipend of 20K with TAship guarantee.

How good is USC MSCS(Data Science)? 

As of now its my only offer but I have yet to hear from Toronto MScAc and GaTech MSCS. I would prefer both over USC as of now, but does anyone have any personal experiences with these schools/anything to share? 

My area of interest in AI/ML/Data Mining. I've been told Masters students aren't typically given RA/TA positions at USC and there are almost no chances of getting any sort of funding. Chances of being involved in good research is important to me. Can someone comment? 

Hey guys,

I have not received any notification from 10 of the schools that I have applied to for PhD. No email or indicator on the application websites saying that I am admitted or rejected. I even emailed all of them, but while some are saying not all decisions have been finalized, some don't respond at all. In this case, should I assume that I am waitlisted at those schools or do I just consider all of them as rejections as we are approaching April 15?

On 3/27/2018 at 6:33 PM, keceli said:

Hey guys,

I have not received any notification from 10 of the schools that I have applied to for PhD. No email or indicator on the application websites saying that I am admitted or rejected. I even emailed all of them, but while some are saying not all decisions have been finalized, some don't respond at all. In this case, should I assume that I am waitlisted at those schools or do I just consider all of them as rejections as we are approaching April 15?

they mean the same

On 3/27/2018 at 6:33 PM, keceli said:

Hey guys,

just go to USC

On 3/29/2018 at 11:20 PM, phdhopeful1995 said:

I got accepted to Purdue and Gatech. My research interest is in systems (with a little bit of applied ML). Which school is better?

You could compare their research rankings at csrankings.org as one indicator.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/30/2018 at 3:20 AM, phdhopeful1995 said:

I got accepted to Purdue and Gatech. My research interest is in systems (with a little bit of applied ML). Which school is better?

In general, I think Gatech is better than Purdue both in CS reputation and location. But research directions/opportunities is the most important for PhD study, do you have some POIs to compare?