Fall 2018 Admission

deleteaccount

I'm starting to get nervous. If acceptances happen around the same time they did last year, that means next week is when most of the first round acceptances go out. Getting an interview has been great! Unfortunately it doesn't provide much in the way of assurances, especially since the POI I interviewed with mentioned how unconventional my application is. I already knew I didn't fit the norm, but it's entirely different to hear a POI say that in an interview...

I just want an acceptance this week so I can finally calm down.

2 hours ago, spamhaus said:

I'm starting to get nervous. If acceptances happen around the same time they did last year, that means next week is when most of the first round acceptances go out. Getting an interview has been great! Unfortunately it doesn't provide much in the way of assurances, especially since the POI I interviewed with mentioned how unconventional my application is. I already knew I didn't fit the norm, but it's entirely different to hear a POI say that in an interview...

I just want an acceptance this week so I can finally calm down.

Unconventional isn't bad though! Also, I highly doubt that the POI would bring it up if he thought it was a bad thing.

19 minutes ago, spamhaus said:

Yes. All the schools I'm applying to are in my signature line. I take it you're applying there too?

Sorry man. I don't use the mobile app so I didn't see your signature. I just saw someone got admitted to Cornell CS PhD. But I am not sure whether the result is official or unofficial. So I am quite curious whether someone here already got admitted as well.

Edited by phdhopeful1995

3 minutes ago, collegesista said:

accepted to Cornell this past Sunday. Letter will come in the mail next week!

Did your POI tell you that you got accepted? Is is a tradition at Cornell for POI to contact prospective students before sending out formal letters? I am quite scared now because I have not heard any thing from my POI.

4 minutes ago, phdhopeful1995 said:

Did your POI tell you that you got accepted? Is is a tradition at Cornell for POI to contact prospective students before sending out formal letters? I am quite scared now because I have not heard any thing from my POI.

Director of Admissions Committee emailed me due to a personal connection and said he would reach out to my POIs and told me to forward him any more names of people I'm interested in. One POI emailed me today.

4 minutes ago, cabbysaurus said:

Congratulations, @collegesista ! Did you have an interview before the informal acceptance? I'm trying to determine whether not having an interview request by now equates to a rejection...

Thank you and no, I didn't. I've only received interview requests from Emory.

15 minutes ago, eighty8keys said:

I'm feeling a bit antsy now. I was expecting to hear things this week, but I thought I'd hear something by today. Oh well. It's only Tuesday.

Careful what you wish for. I was expecting to hear back this week as well... and I did. It was a rejection :-(

16 minutes ago, spamhaus said:

Careful what you wish for. I was expecting to hear back this week as well... and I did. It was a rejection :-(

I mean, of course, if the choice is between finding out a rejection now or receiving an acceptance later, I'd choose the later. But if there's no change in my status, I'd rather just know earlier. Of course, emotionally, it'd suck, but at least I'd have more time to figure out what I'm gonna do over the next year.

Sorry about the rejection though! However, you can be super strong and still get rejected from schools like UT, so don't let it get you down too much (I know my words probably mean like zilch to you right now though)!

11 hours ago, there_is_a_wait_so_long said:

I got a rejection from UT Austin as well. Lot of good candidates ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yeah, I wasn't a great fit for the professors there anyway, so I understand.

11 hours ago, eighty8keys said:

I mean, of course, if the choice is between finding out a rejection now or receiving an acceptance later, I'd choose the later. But if there's no change in my status, I'd rather just know earlier. Of course, emotionally, it'd suck, but at least I'd have more time to figure out what I'm gonna do over the next year.

Sorry about the rejection though! However, you can be super strong and still get rejected from schools like UT, so don't let it get you down too much (I know my words probably mean like zilch to you right now though)!

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply a false dichotomy. I agree it's probably better to hear back, especially since I was expecting the rejection considering I didn't get an acceptance last week. Thanks for the kind words.

I'm really starting to freak out a bit. Acceptances are rolling in from GATech and CMU and I haven't heard anything.

Anyone else feeling anxious and wanting to chat? I've started an irc channel on freenode.net named ##gradcafe. If you aren't an IRC person, you can even get on with a simple web client like Kiwi IRC. Hope some of you are up for chatting, I could use the support right now :-D.