Fall 2018 Admission

deleteaccount

Hey guys, a little late to the party but I guess it's better late than never.
Also anxious about not hearing from most apps, only had two interviews with no accepts/rejects so far.

Good luck to everyone ;)

4 hours ago, spamhaus said:

Anyone else feeling anxious and wanting to chat? I've started an irc channel on freenode.net named ##gradcafe. If you aren't an IRC person, you can even get on with a simple web client like Kiwi IRC. Hope some of you are up for chatting, I could use the support right now :-D.

I joined this server, but there's not much happening yet.

4 hours ago, eighty8keys said:

No. Honestly, they're the school that's surprising me the most. Last year, they had results coming out starting around January 24.

do you think it's a bad thing cuz it might be a more competitive class?

check this out @ 46:00

Btw, how do you know no decision has come out yet?  what if no one's in the 1st round?

8 minutes ago, there_is_a_so_long_wait said:

do you think it's a bad thing cuz it might be a more competitive class?

Btw, how do you know no decision has come out yet?  what if no one's in the 1st round?

I dunno, maybe it's more competitive. And I mean, it's possible that people have gotten acceptances and haven't posted in the results page, but I find that highly unlikely.

3 minutes ago, eighty8keys said:

I dunno, maybe it's more competitive. And I mean, it's possible that people have gotten acceptances and haven't posted in the results page, but I find that highly unlikely.

i think you have a point there.....

i'm going crazy right now!!!!!!!  did u apply to USC as well?  where else did u apply?

On 1/27/2018 at 3:20 PM, spamhaus said:

I'm starting to get nervous. If acceptances happen around the same time they did last year, that means next week is when most of the first round acceptances go out. Getting an interview has been great! Unfortunately it doesn't provide much in the way of assurances, especially since the POI I interviewed with mentioned how unconventional my application is. I already knew I didn't fit the norm, but it's entirely different to hear a POI say that in an interview...

I just want an acceptance this week so I can finally calm down.

yessss! same boat here...... nothing from USC?  i'm surprised u didn't apply to UCLA?

On 1/6/2018 at 6:53 AM, excelle08 said:

Undergrad institution: An top-tier university ranking 10th in computer science nationally (Ranks 41th in CS major by USNews World Report)
Major: Computer Science
Overall GPA: 3.78/4.00
Class Ranking: 18/303 (6%)
Type of Student: International, Asian

TOEFL: 106 (R30, L29, S19, W28)
GRE: 327 (V157, Q170, AW4.0)

Research Experiences: Lab Researches (SwiftIO, McWiz, FlexBM), School funded project (Optical Text Recognition based on Phone Camera)

Publications: 1x First Author, Submitted to ICS 2018; 1x 3rd Author, Submitted to ICS 2018; 1x 4th Author, Submitted to CCGrid 2018

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Motorola Scholarship, Special Prize of NECCS 2016, Provincial Third Prize of Imagine Cup 2016, District first prize in national-wide web security challenge

Internships: 6 months remote internship as developer at a tiny US startup. 

CV/Personal Site: https://excelle08.me

Perspective Direction: Distributed/Parallel Systems, Storage Systems

Applying to Where:
Lotteries: CMU and U of Washington
Top tier: GATech, UCSD, Wisconsin-Madison, UTexas Austin
Realistic choices: NEU, Stony Brook, PennState, UCR, UVa, UMN
Safe schools: George Mason, W&M College, UTexas Dallas

Progress:
Positive Feedback from POI via interview:
UCR, George Mason, NEU, UVa
Interviewed but with neutral feedbacks:
PennState
Interviewed but results unknown yet:
UCSD(Via OA take-home tasks)
Contact In Progress:
UTexas Dallas

can u please elaborate your "positive" experience with UCR? thanks :) 

26 minutes ago, there_is_a_so_long_wait said:

can u please elaborate your "positive" experience with UCR? thanks :) 

The POI read my transcript and paper drafts, then replied that my background was good match with their lab and would recommend fellowship for me.

3 minutes ago, there_is_a_so_long_wait said:

WOOAH!  that's more than good news!!!!! :)  it's almost a guarantee and fellowship too? CONGRATS MAN!!!!!!

It seems so, just waiting for official notifications. :)

7 hours ago, spamhaus said:

I'm really starting to freak out a bit. Acceptances are rolling in from GATech and CMU and I haven't heard anything.

Anyone else feeling anxious and wanting to chat? I've started an irc channel on freenode.net named ##gradcafe. If you aren't an IRC person, you can even get on with a simple web client like Kiwi IRC. Hope some of you are up for chatting, I could use the support right now :-D.

5 hours ago, TheStLucas said:

Has anyone applied to WashU and Wisconsin-Madison?

I applied to GATech, CMU, WashU, UCSD and WISC, but did not hear back anything.

Seems that they all sent out their first round offers yesterday...So it's likely that my hope for these top tier schools is frail.

4 minutes ago, excelle08 said:

Seems that they all sent out their first round offers yesterday...So it's likely that my hope for these top tier schools is frail.

I don't think CMU is done. From what it looked like, they only sent out ML and CS responses. So if you applied to any other programs in their SCS, I'd say you still have a shot.

4 minutes ago, excelle08 said:

so can I know what priorities you have over UCR?  all of GATech, CMU, WashU, UCSD and WISC?? thanks 

7 minutes ago, there_is_a_so_long_wait said:

I heard UCR's official notification is around March... did your POI tell u otherwise?

He told me that he would review applications in Feb. I checked the gradcafe results and found UCR indeed notified in March last year, and in late Feb for 2016.

Just wait patiently. Anyway I've already got acceptance from NEU.

6 minutes ago, there_is_a_so_long_wait said:

so can I know what priorities you have over UCR?  all of GATech, CMU, WashU, UCSD and WISC?? thanks 

Yes as they are higher tiered universities in the field of computer system and storage system.

For other schools in "realistic choices" I think I should further compare, in terms of the advisor, stipend package, location and so on. They all have pros and cons.

5 minutes ago, excelle08 said:

Yes as they are higher tiered universities in the field of computer system and storage system.

For other schools in "realistic choices" I think I should further compare, in terms of the advisor, stipend package, location and so on. They all have pros and cons.

can't beat the weather in SoCal.... but why didn't u apply to UCLA, UCI, & USC??  im curious :)

6 minutes ago, there_is_a_so_long_wait said:

Thanks... so NEU > UCR for u?  

Maybe, but can't absolutely say so because the supecomputing lab in UCR is very attractive for its awesome publications. They published two SC papers last year.