2018 Neuroscience PhD Applicants and Admission Results

eevee

Oooh, a Neuro thread! Hopefully I can still post here if I applied to some biomedical programs (with a neuro interest) and some neuro-specific programs :D

Does anyone happen to know if UWashington or Northwestern have sent out all their interview invites? I've seen a couple on the survey results page. Good luck to everyone!

Also for reference:

• Email invite for Skype interview from UVM NGP on 12/12 for the week of 1/22
  • Call from UMich NGP on 12/15 (applied through PIBS), interview invite via email 12/18 for 1/25-1/27 or 2/1-2/3
  • Email from Case Western BSTP for interview invite 2/2-2/3 

Have not heard back from any other programs yet. Completed everywhere 12/1 except for UNC BBSP, where I was completed 12/5

Yay! Glad this is here now.

For reference in case it helps anyone applying now/next year: 

• I received a phone call from UNC - BBSP Neuro on Dec 13 then the email Dec 14 for an interview on Feb 8-10
  • I received a phone call from UMich NGP on Dec 14 and email Dec 18 for an interview March 8-11
  • I got an email from Vanderbilt NGP on Dec 17 for an interview Jan 25-27
  • No email from Harvard PiN Dec 14 so that's basically a rejection since they send everything out on one day

Good luck everyone!

3 hours ago, jasbee said:

Yay! Glad this is here now.

For reference in case it helps anyone applying now/next year: 

• I received a phone call from UNC - BBSP Neuro on Dec 13 then the email Dec 14 for an interview on Feb 8-10
  • I received a phone call from UMich NGP on Dec 14 and email Dec 18 for an interview March 8-11
  • I got an email from Vanderbilt NGP on Dec 17 for an interview Jan 25-27
  • No email from Harvard PiN Dec 14 so that's basically a rejection since they send everything out on one day

Good luck everyone!

I got excited that someone on here might be interviewing at UMich the same weekend as me...but I'm going January 25-27th (possibly because I applied through PIBS?) Congrats though! :D

I am so embarrassed because UMich NGP called me to invite me to interview and I was so shocked that I said "wow....congratulations!" to them. It was like telling a restaurant employee "you too!" after getting your meal. They laughed but now I'm sincerely hoping they either bring it up during my interview or that it never sees the light of day ever again for as long as I live.

Did you by chance apply to Northwestern DGP? or did you opt for NUIN? 

Has anyone that applied to the theory specialization of Columbia's Neurobiology and Behavior heard back? I assumed that they would let everybody know at the same time, but based on the admission results page, it seems as if the adcoms may be separating by specialization?

...or at least I'm hoping for as much, might be wishful thinking.

6 hours ago, synapticcat said:

I got excited that someone on here might be interviewing at UMich the same weekend as me...but I'm going January 25-27th (possibly because I applied through PIBS?) Congrats though! :D

I am so embarrassed because UMich NGP called me to invite me to interview and I was so shocked that I said "wow....congratulations!" to them. It was like telling a restaurant employee "you too!" after getting your meal. They laughed but now I'm sincerely hoping they either bring it up during my interview or that it never sees the light of day ever again for as long as I live.

Did you by chance apply to Northwestern DGP? or did you opt for NUIN? 

I applied to Michigan direct rather than PIBS so that probably explains the different days. I did apply to NUIN (although haven't heard back yet lol) and basically at any school where applying to the neuroscience program directly was an option I did that, because I'm mostly interested in the neuroimaging/genetics side of neuro rather than cellular biology stuff. 

Also I'm sure you're fine about the phone thing, because I bet basically everyone they call is probably caught off guard - I answered one of my interview calls in a public restroom thinking it was a spam call (to be fair the caller ID was from a state nowhere near any of the schools I applied to). Luckily the bathroom was empty at the time... 

Hi everyone... I am part neuro/part health psychology. 

So far, I have not heard from any of my purely neuro choices... but do have an interview for the Biobehavioral Health program at PSU (heard officially this morning) and Clinical and Translational Science program at Mayo Clinic (heard on Monday). I also have a skype interview (heard last night) with a PI from the Behavioral and Brain Sciences track at UGA. 

Good luck everyone!

Applied (8/9): Penn State (BioBehavioral Health), Mayo Clinic (Biomedical Sciences, Clinical and Translational Science), University of Michigan (Neuroscience -- direct), UCLA (NSIDP), University of Pittsburgh (Psychology, Biological & Health Psychology), University of Georgia (Psychology, Behavioral and Brain Sciences), CUNY (Behavioral and Cognitive Neuroscience), UNCC (Health Psychology), UC Merced (Psychology, Health Psychology)

Interviews (2.5/9): Penn State (BioBehavioral Health), Mayo Clinic (Biomedical Sciences, Clinical and Translational Science), University of Georgia (Psychology, Behavioral and Brain Sciences) -- skype interview

Accepted (0/9): TBD

Rejected (0/9): TBD

Edited by th3redrabbit

Oh yay a neuro-specific thread! I've been posting in the main one, so I'll put my updates here too. Heard back via call yesterday then email today for UChicago, and got an email invite for NYU today. 

UChicago's dates are EITHER Friday February 2nd: arrive Thursday afternoon (Feb 1st), depart Sunday (Feb 4th) OR Monday February 5th: arrive Saturday morning (Feb 3rd), depart Monday evening (Feb 5th), and they want a response by Dec 28th. NYU's are Thursday and Friday, January 25-26 or Thursday and Friday, February 15-16, and they want a confirmation by Dec 29th. Presumed rejection from Harvard PiN via no email on the 14th. 

21 hours ago, neurd said:

Has anyone that applied to the theory specialization of Columbia's Neurobiology and Behavior heard back? I assumed that they would let everybody know at the same time, but based on the admission results page, it seems as if the adcoms may be separating by specialization?

...or at least I'm hoping for as much, might be wishful thinking.

Last year they sent out interviews over the course of like two weeks, so unless that's changed then there's still hope!

5 hours ago, neuromemory said:

Last year they sent out interviews over the course of like two weeks, so unless that's changed then there's still hope!

I got an offer last night! Looks like it is indeed broken up by specialization.

5 minutes ago, neuromemory said:

To the people (saw two on the results page) with invites for Berkeley, did they say anything about it being in a single batch or if there's still more? 

I'm the second person.  I got my email several hours after I saw the first poster put up their results, so I'm assuming the notifications are trickling out slowly.  No idea how many they have left to send, though.  Best of luck!

4 minutes ago, noisemaker483 said:

I'm the second person.  I got my email several hours after I saw the first poster put up their results, so I'm assuming the notifications are trickling out slowly.  No idea how many they have left to send, though.  Best of luck!

Good to know they weren't all at once, last year was over a 2-week span so it seems likely this will be similar. Congrats!

2 hours ago, neuromemory said:

Good to know they weren't all at once, last year was over a 2-week span so it seems likely this will be similar. Congrats!

I'm also waiting for any response from Berkeley neuroscience. Best wishes to all the applicants!

Good luck to everyone this cycle! Interview invitations for OHSU NGP (and probably Behavioral Neuroscience and PMCB) should have gone out earlier this week or will be going out in the coming days, as they had their last planned admission's committee meeting last Friday.

I interviewed at University of Virginia, Northwestern, Wisconsin, and University of Rochester last cycle (and had an interview at Tufts that I cancelled) as well and had a blast at all of them. Once again, good luck, enjoy the interviews, and let me know if you have any questions!

1 hour ago, ADresearchHopeful said:

Does anyone know if Columbia Neurobiology and Behavior has sent out all interview invitations or if they send them in waves?

I called them today, there may be a few theory emails to be sent out (the lady was not sure about this) but they are pretty much done.