eevee

2018 Neuroscience PhD Applicants and Admission Results

15 hours ago, neuro1 said:

sorry, meant for Emory!

Apparently there is a very small internal waitlist for Emory.  

Emory interviews were super chill.  If anyone has an interview there at the end of Feb, don't sweat. 

Edited by Bouton

38 minutes ago, Bouton said:

Apparently there is a very small internal waitlist for Emory.  

Emory interviews were super chill.  If anyone has an interview there at the end of Feb, don't sweat. 

post-interview waitlist?

Dont' know if they're done sending interview invites 

Hello folks! It's me again. I know I have asked about the Neuroscience and Cognitive Science program of University of Maryland before, and someone has kindly replied that they were having their Open House in 8-9 February. As a matter of fact, I knew about the date of the Open House. I am asking about Maryland, because I find the entire application & admissions process a bit weird. Let me briefly tell you what happened so far: I have read in the Results section of this forum that several people received emails with instructions to check the portal and then they saw rejection messages. (This was around January 20-25.) I hadn't received an email, but after seeing those posts in the forum, I logged in to the application portal to check my status - and it said "Submitted. Under departmental/program review." Then I waited for about one week - and still got no notification whatsoever. So I contacted the department via the contact form on their website to ask whether all interview invitations had been sent out. I got a reply from the department secretary confirming that my application was (STILL!) under review, and she told me that she was hoping to "get back to me this week." This was around two weeks ago. 

I still have nothing. My application status is the same on the application portal - under review.

Since I got no interview requests, I am inclined to believe that it is very unlikely that I will get a positive response at the end. But at the same time I cannot understand why there is this delay. 

Is there anyone else who is in the same situation? 

Also, if anyone has been rejected by this program, could they perhaps give us the initials of their POIs?

Thanks!

Edited by Dark Chocolate Mocha

1 hour ago, Dark Chocolate Mocha said:

Hello folks! It's me again. I know I have asked about the Neuroscience and Cognitive Science program of University of Maryland before, and someone has kindly replied that they were having their Open House in 8-9 February. As a matter of fact, I knew about the date of the Open House. I am asking about Maryland, because I find the entire application & admissions process a bit weird. Let me briefly tell you what happened so far: I have read in the Results section of this forum that several people received emails with instructions to check the portal and then they saw rejection messages. (This was around January 20-25.) I hadn't received an email, but after seeing those posts in the forum, I logged in to the application portal to check my status - and it said "Submitted. Under departmental/program review." Then I waited for about one week - and still got no notification whatsoever. So I contacted the department via the contact form on their website to ask whether all interview invitations had been sent out. I got a reply from the department secretary confirming that my application was (STILL!) under review, and she told me that she was hoping to "get back to me this week." This was around two weeks ago. 

I still have nothing. My application status is the same on the application portal - under review.

Since I got no interview requests, I am inclined to believe that it is very unlikely that I will get a positive response at the end. But at the same time I cannot understand why there is this delay. 

Is there anyone else who is in the same situation? 

Also, if anyone has been rejected by this program, could they perhaps give us the initials of their POIs?

Thanks!

Are you a domestic or international applicant? Generally there is a different timeline for international applications, so that may be why you are experiencing a difference.

47 minutes ago, siliconchins said:

Are you a domestic or international applicant? Generally there is a different timeline for international applications, so that may be why you are experiencing a difference.

Thank you for your reply! Yes, I am an international applicant. Does that mean that I would be contacted a bit later than domestic applicants (if at all)? To be honest, it would have been a bit costly for me to travel there for the Open House even if they invited me, and they might not have wanted to reimburse me for that. So maybe that's why they did not hurry up to contact me before the Open House. But then, some other schools invited me to their Open House meetings and also offered me some money for that - so I can't be sure whether or not I should totally give up hope because no invitation arrived... I really hope there is a different timeline for international students!

Reached out to Boston University GPN:

"The applications are currently being reviewed and invitations for interviews have been extended. We typically extend offers of admission only to those who were selected to interview."

FYI

8 hours ago, RI290 said:

Reached out to Boston University GPN:

"The applications are currently being reviewed and invitations for interviews have been extended. We typically extend offers of admission only to those who were selected to interview."

FYI

They have a set interview date on their website. Feb 25. I don't imagine they'll wait much longer to be done sending out invites.

11 hours ago, BabyScientist said:

They have a set interview date on their website. Feb 25. I don't imagine they'll wait much longer to be done sending out invites.

Yeah I took that as a rejection.

I've been informally accepted to a program!  I won't say which one just to spare anyone anxiety since this program advertised that formal acceptances will not come out until later.  Just wanted to participate in the acceptance party, and... YAY I am PhD bound!

On 2/13/2018 at 8:45 PM, Brad Gamble said:

Has anyone recently heard from Rochester, Emory, UNC Chapel Hill, Boston University, or Albert Einstein college of medicine?

None of them sent invites for interview or sent rejections to me. Rochester said they were going to send the second batch, but that was almost a month ago.

Not sure about Rochester.

A colleague of mine has already had her interview at Emory, so if they will be extending any more it would likely be soon and only a few.

UNC already had their interviews too. I was rejected, but a friend of mine has also heard nothing (positive or negative).

I received an interview invite for BU a few weeks ago and their only weekend is 2/25 so I would assume they're likely done.

Not sure about Albert Einstein.

Hope that helped a little?!

5 hours ago, somino42 said:

I've been informally accepted to a program!  I won't say which one just to spare anyone anxiety since this program advertised that formal acceptances will not come out until later.  Just wanted to participate in the acceptance party, and... YAY I am PhD bound!

Congratulations! That is such good news. At least you know now what you'll be doing next year :)