2018 Neuroscience PhD Applicants and Admission Results

eevee

21 minutes ago, Dark Chocolate Mocha said:

I wish you good luck! I hope you get into the program that will be best for you :))

Thanks for mentioning the concept of an "internal waiting list." I had never heard of such a thing, but you may be right. It seems Maryland NACS has traditionally never sent waitlisting notifications, so maybe they do have an internal waiting list. I hope I'm on that list, then. Because this program is one of my top choices and I believe I actually have a good match of research interests with my two POIs.

Fingers crossed!

I actually applied to Maryland too and received nothing back from them as well.

38 minutes ago, neuro1 said:

I actually applied to Maryland too and received nothing back from them as well.

Oh, that's nice to hear. Let's keep each other informed, then! I can DM you if I ever hear from Maryland (if you want). You could also DM me if you hear from them (again, if you want to).

It's great to hear I am not completely alone in this. What was your subfield, by the way?

2 hours ago, neuro1 said:

When I emailed them to ask, they said the application is out of the hands of admissions and that each dept has it in their hands and that until I receive a definitive email, they are still considering the application. Initial invites for their main recruiting event has gone out already - but they may choose to do a remote interview later on. 

Thank you.

Good luck to you!

5 hours ago, Dark Chocolate Mocha said:

Thank you for your support! The really weird thing about Maryland NACS is that they have also already sent out several rejections. They did this quite early, in fact: around January 22 or so. I cannot realistically expect a positive outcome, as I know it would be very awkward to get a "first" interview request this late. At the same time, I cannot help but wonder why it should take them a month (and this at the very least) to notify me of a rejection.

Weird.

I just got an interview invitation from MUSC! And they have accepted people before at it seems from the results page. So never lose hope!

As for Michigan, I have seen both interviews and rejections on the results page, so it's pretty much the same situation as yours and Maryland. They sent out their interview invitations around Dec. 15 and rejections around January 22. I have nothing but to stay hopeful!

On 2/14/2018 at 10:35 AM, Bouton said:

Apparently there is a very small internal waitlist for Emory.  

Emory interviews were super chill.  If anyone has an interview there at the end of Feb, don't sweat. 

On 2/13/2018 at 3:28 PM, seeaseeoh3 said:

I got waitlisted to PIBS Neuro at UMich. If anyone is planning on not attending, I'd love to go there.

Also, Emory just had their first weekend. Those interviews were intense.

Tomorrow, I'm heading to the second interview session at Emory. I see you two had conflicting opinions of the first weekend. Was there anything non-standard about the interview that you wish you would have prepared for? I would appreciate if either of you had any tips to offer. Thanks!

11 hours ago, JustHopefulMe said:

I just got an interview invitation from MUSC! And they have accepted people before at it seems from the results page. So never lose hope!

As for Michigan, I have seen both interviews and rejections on the results page, so it's pretty much the same situation as yours and Maryland. They sent out their interview invitations around Dec. 15 and rejections around January 22. I have nothing but to stay hopeful!

It's a great relief to hear that! I might still get rejected at the end, of course, but it is wonderful to know that I can still hope to be admitted! I am also happy for you. I hope you'll have a great interview with MUSC!

Edited by Dark Chocolate Mocha

On 2/21/2018 at 12:22 PM, Dark Chocolate Mocha said:

Oh, that's nice to hear. Let's keep each other informed, then! I can DM you if I ever hear from Maryland (if you want). You could also DM me if you hear from them (again, if you want to).

It's great to hear I am not completely alone in this. What was your subfield, by the way?

sure DM me! If I remember correctly, developmental neurobio, yours?

19 hours ago, Dark Chocolate Mocha said:

It's a great relief to hear that! I might still get rejected at the end, of course, but it is wonderful to know that I can still hope to be admitted! I am also happy for you. I hope you'll have a great interview with MUSC!

Thank you! I wish you best of luck too!

On 2/21/2018 at 7:14 AM, Dark Chocolate Mocha said:

It seems someone got admitted to the Neuroscience and Cognitive Science (NACS) program at Maryland. I posted a message on the Results section, asking them about their subfield, and if and when they had had an interview. I don't know whether they will see the message, though. So I wanted to repeat it here.

Also, if there is anyone else who applied to this program (regardless of whether you got a rejection or acceptance), could you please DM me? It's February 21, I still got nothing. No acceptance whatsoever, but curiously enough, no rejection either. It's confusing. I would really appreciate some feedback from a fellow applicant about how the process worked for them.

Cheers,

DCM

hey! this is kind of a late response, but I do know that a friend of mine was admitted to NACS yesterday. I believe she was contacted by them fairly early in December (around the 10th? it was before I received any interview invites, my earliest was the 12th) by a faculty member who was interested in her application, inviting her to interview. 

I don't know much about the program, but her interests are more on the computational/network side of cogsci, if that helps. 

Edited by synapticcat

Ooh, just stumbled upon this Neuro thread. Incredibly ecstatic to say that I was accepted into the Northwestern and Baylor College of Medicine Neuroscience PhD programs on Wednesday! Looking forward to meeting anyone who will be at UMichigan's Neuroscience interview weekend 3/8~3/11 :)

24 minutes ago, Jerry_Neuro said:

Ooh, just stumbled upon this Neuro thread. Incredibly ecstatic to say that I was accepted into the Northwestern and Baylor College of Medicine Neuroscience PhD programs on Wednesday! Looking forward to meeting anyone who will be at UMichigan's Neuroscience interview weekend 3/8~3/11 :)

Wooo! Good luck on your interview! I had a kick ass time interviewing at Michigan and their Neuroscience department is really great and close knit. If you have any logistical questions about UM/neuro/ I'm happy to answer!! I'm from the area originally and know the school fairly well, just went out-of-state for undergrad. 

Hello,

Any update regarding the admission of University of North Texas and Texas A & M?? I called them by phone and they said you should her something within the next 2 weeks!! it is more than 2 weeks now and no update :( I had rejection from UTD and MD anderson.

Waiting is killing me :( 

I'm just here for the follow...  Applied SUNY Albany PhD in Behavioral Neuroscience, have not heard anything from admissions as of yet.  I did receive an e-mail regarding funding that indicated those decisions would be communicated by 3/6.  Would they make a funding decision before an admission decision?  That doesn't make sense, right?

Edited by Progress

9 hours ago, Progress said:

I'm just here for the follow...  Applied SUNY Albany PhD in Behavioral Neuroscience, have not heard anything from admissions as of yet.  I did receive an e-mail regarding funding that indicated those decisions would be communicated by 3/6.  Would they make a funding decision before an admission decision?  That doesn't make sense, right?

It would make sense to have a funding decision before making official offers.  This way they have a package set up for the applicants they want to admit to the program.  That you received an email like that indicating a "funding decision" beforehand is kind of odd.  Maybe it's their way of saying they are making admissions decisions at the time?

Edited by StemCellFan

11 hours ago, StemCellFan said:

It would make sense to have a funding decision before making official offers.  This way they have a package set up for the applicants they want to admit to the program.

Ohhhh I hope so.  After nearly putting it out of my head for 5 weeks the itch has become REALLY bad.  Like,  loading the admissions website every morning and evening type of bad.  

Also, funny handle stemcellfan!  I'm picturing a super enthusiastic sports nut with an hat shaped like an undifferentiated cell and a big foam hand shaped like an amnio needle, jumping up and down shouting "grow, grow, grow"!  Is that weird?  

Woke up this morning to my rejection letter from UCLA, which wasn't a surprise because didn't get an interview, but still not the best start to my day.

The universe decided to pay me back because I just got an unofficial acceptance from Yale (with official notification coming later today or tomorrow) and this is my first acceptance so I can't tell if I'm more excited or relieved. I'm just so happy I'm finally in somewhere and cannot believe that somewhere is Yale - and it was one of my top choices too! 

22 hours ago, Progress said:

Ohhhh I hope so.  After nearly putting it out of my head for 5 weeks the itch has become REALLY bad.  Like,  loading the admissions website every morning and evening type of bad.  

Also, funny handle stemcellfan!  I'm picturing a super enthusiastic sports nut with an hat shaped like an undifferentiated cell and a big foam hand shaped like an amnio needle, jumping up and down shouting "grow, grow, grow"!  Is that weird?  

Hahaha.  Not weird at all!  It certainly gave me a funny mental image. :)

I hope you hear some good news soon!  

14 hours ago, jasbee said:

Woke up this morning to my rejection letter from UCLA, which wasn't a surprise because didn't get an interview, but still not the best start to my day.

The universe decided to pay me back because I just got an unofficial acceptance from Yale (with official notification coming later today or tomorrow) and this is my first acceptance so I can't tell if I'm more excited or relieved. I'm just so happy I'm finally in somewhere and cannot believe that somewhere is Yale - and it was one of my top choices too! 

Congrats!!

On 2/27/2018 at 12:51 PM, Progress said:

Did you get an interview? I'm just curious because I applied there as well but never heard anything. 

24 minutes ago, RI290 said:

Whats the deal with BU GPN? On the admissions results page someone said all applicants received a rejection due to a coding error?

That's exactly what happened. Less than a day after our interview we all got a rejection email, followed a few hours later by a follow-up from the coordinator saying it was a mistake and they hadn't met or made any decisions yet. I know it wasn't their fault, but it was a huge mistake on their end if you ask me.