2018 Neuroscience PhD Applicants and Admission Results

eevee

Congrats to all those who received acceptances! I am really happy that some of us are finally relieved :) 

Has anyone heard from FSU or Cincinnati post-interview? It has been a month and I'm starting to get worried...

Has anyone heard from UNC BBSP neuro post interview? I saw one post on the results page two weeks ago, but heard they only let in a couple people then. I figured we'd hear back this week since their last weekend of interviews is done now, but I haven't seen any neuro posts. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not important, but has anyone else who didn't interview with Northwestern NUIN not received their rejection letter yet? I wasn't interviewed so I know I'm rejected (and it was towards the bottom of my list so I'm fine with that) but it's just comical that it's April and I still haven't heard anything. I paid my app fee so I think I should get an actual rejection notification. Also idk if I was waitlisted or rejected from Vanderbilt NGP because I haven't heard anything after my interview... it's fine because I would decline the offer if admitted, but real talk I just want closure from this whole process. 

(I'm really just waiting on the answer from my top choice because I'm waitlisted there and distracting myself with this stuff but it's fine. Everything's fine.) 

Edited by jasbee

8 hours ago, jasbee said:

Not important, but has anyone else who didn't interview with Northwestern NUIN not received their rejection letter yet? I wasn't interviewed so I know I'm rejected (and it was towards the bottom of my list so I'm fine with that) but it's just comical that it's April and I still haven't heard anything. I paid my app fee so I think I should get an actual rejection notification. Also idk if I was waitlisted or rejected from Vanderbilt NGP because I haven't heard anything after my interview... it's fine because I would decline the offer if admitted, but real talk I just want closure from this whole process. 

(I'm really just waiting on the answer from my top choice because I'm waitlisted there and distracting myself with this stuff but it's fine. Everything's fine.) 

Hi Jas so I just received word that I was high on the “hold group” for Vanderbilt NGP which may mean that you are in a similar situation. In that case it may be beneficial for you to decline despite not hearing back (given you would decline anyway) so those of us who are still interested have a better chance. 

6 hours ago, Cowherdingjoe said:

Hi Jas so I just received word that I was high on the “hold group” for Vanderbilt NGP which may mean that you are in a similar situation. In that case it may be beneficial for you to decline despite not hearing back (given you would decline anyway) so those of us who are still interested have a better chance. 

Did you contact them or did they send you an email out of the blue? If they just aren’t telling us our status and basically unofficially waitlisting us (as in I can’t assume I’ve been rejected at this point) I’ll try to figure out how to withdraw my application - unless if that might impact future opportunities at the school. Does anyone know whether it’s worse to withdraw your application or to wait to hear back and get either rejected or accepted then decline the offer? (I’m really assuming I’m going to be rejected based on how interviews went). I’ve declined an acceptance because I wanted to make room on that school’s waitlist for others and if pulling my app at Vandy won’t affect my shot of getting a post doc position there or something I def will. Even if I don’t pull my app because I’m paranoid about that and somehow I do get in (which I highly doubt will happen) I’d def decline right away so the spot would go to the next person.

On 4/3/2018 at 2:21 AM, jasbee said:

Did you contact them or did they send you an email out of the blue? If they just aren’t telling us our status and basically unofficially waitlisting us (as in I can’t assume I’ve been rejected at this point) I’ll try to figure out how to withdraw my application - unless if that might impact future opportunities at the school. Does anyone know whether it’s worse to withdraw your application or to wait to hear back and get either rejected or accepted then decline the offer? (I’m really assuming I’m going to be rejected based on how interviews went). I’ve declined an acceptance because I wanted to make room on that school’s waitlist for others and if pulling my app at Vandy won’t affect my shot of getting a post doc position there or something I def will. Even if I don’t pull my app because I’m paranoid about that and somehow I do get in (which I highly doubt will happen) I’d def decline right away so the spot would go to the next person.

I emailed Bruce Carter directly and he responded promptly. I don’t think withdrawing an application when you have more enticing offers would ever be taken the wrong way. What schools/PIs disagree with (my SO and friends are all in grad school so I’ve been privy to the details of a lot of application cycles at various schools) is handing out an offer to someone who has either accepted elsewhere or who is not still considering their program. I think your paranoia is unfounded. If you wait to the last second (eg if you receive an offer on say the 15th) even rejecting at that point might preclude them from making an offer to someone else or it might force a willing applicant waiting to hear back to accept elsewhere prematurely. There is absolutely no reason to hold on to an application for a school you don’t wish to attend. 

@Cowherdingjoe just withdrew my Vanderbilt app. They said I was currently on the waitlist, and even though I highly doubt I was going to get off of it maybe there's a small chance this helps someone else - and I could use the good waitlist karma lol. 

Edited by jasbee

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...