2018 Neuroscience PhD Applicants and Admission Results

eevee

I heard in the other thread that UNC is extending all interview invites by the end of the week for BBSP. I'm guessing I should be preparing myself to receive a mass reject email sometime tomorrow? It seems likely at this point :( I wouldn't be totally heartbroken, but it would be a bummer. 

20 minutes ago, Baller123 said:

@neurd do you mind sharing your stats? You seem to be doing well and I'm curious about your application. Totally understand if you would rather not though.

i appreciate it -- to be honest i've been pleasantly surprised by how things are turning out, as I certainly was not expecting this. i don't want to say a ton for the sake of preserving anonymity, but at a high level:

GPA: 3.7, GRE ~90 percentile across the board. Top school for undergrad, ~3 years of research experience. 2 LOR  very well known/connected PIs, but cannot speak to their quality -- have done decent work with both of them, but certainly not anything insane, and there were parts of my performance w/ each that could have been much better. no pubs, but 1 near submission and a few conference things.

45 minutes ago, neurd said:

i appreciate it -- to be honest i've been pleasantly surprised by how things are turning out, as I certainly was not expecting this. i don't want to say a ton for the sake of preserving anonymity, but at a high level:

GPA: 3.7, GRE ~90 percentile across the board. Top school for undergrad, ~3 years of research experience. 2 LOR  very well known/connected PIs, but cannot speak to their quality -- have done decent work with both of them, but certainly not anything insane, and there were parts of my performance w/ each that could have been much better. no pubs, but 1 near submission and a few conference things.

Thanks for the info, hope you continue getting invites!

So do schools usually send out invites in waves? I'm new to this process (and the site too lol) so tbh have no idea what "normal" looks like... I've just been kind of stalking the results page under neuroscience and just assuming I was rejected whenever people post about getting invites to schools that I applied to and didn't hear from :P 

1 hour ago, eevee said:

So do schools usually send out invites in waves? I'm new to this process (and the site too lol) so tbh have no idea what "normal" looks like... I've just been kind of stalking the results page under neuroscience and just assuming I was rejected whenever people post about getting invites to schools that I applied to and didn't hear from :P 

I'm no expert either, but it's highly dependent on the school. It seems like most places send them in waves over a few-week period, somewhere like Harvard BBS is a notable exception where they send them all at once in a few-hour period. Based on last year's results thread, most of the schools on your list send them in waves. Basically, unless someone calls and asks if they're done sending out invites (and they say they are), you don't really know until the 2nd-3rd week of January, at which point you can assume they're done. 

I emailed NYU and the woman said it's in waves.  They send out invites to their top applicants, rejections to the bottom, and if you're in the middle, you'll either be invited or rejected over the next few weeks.  

I also emailed Berkeley but have not gotten a response.  

UCSD is most likely a rejection if you haven't heard from them already.  

UCLA is still going out after the holidays.

Emory is done with invites.  

(this is all for neuro)

Edited by Bouton

I have seen a couple of people hear back from UPenn for neuroscience. I did not apply there, but I wish you the best! I’ve been asking everywhere but does anyone know if WashU neuroscience is done with interview invites? It seems like this is the one school I applied to that seems to send out invites a little earlier than the rest.

On 12/24/2017 at 1:43 PM, Neuropsycher said:

I have seen a couple of people hear back from UPenn for neuroscience. I did not apply there, but I wish you the best! I’ve been asking everywhere but does anyone know if WashU neuroscience is done with interview invites? It seems like this is the one school I applied to that seems to send out invites a little earlier than the rest.

I haven't heard anything about WashU since the first round of invites when out a few weeks ago. I applied there too so I was kind of bummed. Although I haven't received a rejection so I am thinking that they are waiting to hear back who will be attending the interview days and if people decline they will send out another round. I know the website says that the 6-7 and 7-8 are the only interview days and they won't accept anyone without an interview so it's definitely nerve racking...

8 hours ago, cindyboop said:

I haven't heard anything about WashU since the first round of invites when out a few weeks ago. I applied there too so I was kind of bummed. Although I haven't received a rejection so I am thinking that they are waiting to hear back who will be attending the interview days and if people decline they will send out another round. I know the website says that the 6-7 and 7-8 are the only interview days and they won't accept anyone without an interview so it's definitely nerve racking...

Thank you so much! The interview dates are January 6-8th? I searched everywhere a few weeks ago to find that and had no luck. That’s disheartening for me just a little bit but I still have faith if it is meant to be. I applied as soon as the app opened, too since I worked all summer on modifying things. I haven’t received a rejection letter either. Hopefully we still have a chance?

14 hours ago, Neuropsycher said:

Thank you so much! The interview dates are January 6-8th? I searched everywhere a few weeks ago to find that and had no luck. That’s disheartening for me just a little bit but I still have faith if it is meant to be. I applied as soon as the app opened, too since I worked all summer on modifying things. I haven’t received a rejection letter either. Hopefully we still have a chance?

Sorry, I'm just realizing we might be talking about two different schools. I thought you were talking about the University of Washington but I think you are actually talking about Washington University in St. Louis? My mistake! There are so many schools with similar names. If that is the school you are talking about it looks like the interview dates are January 12th and 26th (http://dbbs.wustl.edu/prospstudents/PhDAdmissions/Pages/PhDAdmissions.aspx) Sorry :( 

Edited by cindyboop

4 hours ago, cindyboop said:

Sorry, I'm just realizing we might be talking about two different schools. I thought you were talking about the University of Washington but I think you are actually talking about Washington University in St. Louis? My mistake! There are so many schools with similar names. If that is the school you are talking about it looks like the interview dates are January 12th and 26th (http://dbbs.wustl.edu/prospstudents/PhDAdmissions/Pages/PhDAdmissions.aspx) Sorry :( 

? that’s totally okay! WashU is a little deceiving in its name. I was talking about WashU (wustl). Thank you for sharing the link! They must have recently added this.. I’ve been searching everywhere. I wish you the best this application season, either way?

25 minutes ago, Neuropsycher said:

? that’s totally okay! WashU is a little deceiving in its name. I was talking about WashU (wustl). Thank you for sharing the link! They must have recently added this.. I’ve been searching everywhere. I wish you the best this application season, either way?

You're welcome, good luck to you! :)

Sorry to keep asking, but has anyone heard about Berkeley sending out any more invites? I emailed the coordinator but no response. I know it’s the holidays so I assume my email has been lost through the cracks. 

It’s my top choice by a ton so if there’s any info I’d love to know! 

43 minutes ago, Bouton said:

Sorry to keep asking, but has anyone heard about Berkeley sending out any more invites? I emailed the coordinator but no response. I know it’s the holidays so I assume my email has been lost through the cracks. 

It’s my top choice by a ton so if there’s any info I’d love to know! 

I'm wondering the same.. I didn't get an email response either (but I also emailed close to the holidays).. Does anyone know if most UC's send out invites in waves or at once? For instance, is UC Davis done sending out invites? 

4 hours ago, fr0sting said:

I'm wondering the same.. I didn't get an email response either (but I also emailed close to the holidays).. Does anyone know if most UC's send out invites in waves or at once? For instance, is UC Davis done sending out invites? 

According to the results page they usually go out all on the same day, so I've lost all hope for Berkeley.  Someone here said they go out over two weeks but I'm not sure.

I'm kind of hoping that no news is good news since I've also seen on the results page that they'll tell you straight up no you're rejected sorry when you inquire, but who knows.  Kind of disappointed because I talked to three POIs, two in person, one via phone, and two said I'd be a great fit so really I'm feeling like reaching out to POIs is pointless.

Edited by Bouton

Posting this here too, because I think I may have previously posted under the wrong convo..lol: 

Does anyone know of neuroscience programs that have deadlines that haven’t passed yet? I applied to all of my schools and am still trusting, but I am getting a little discouraged. I have internship experience from WashU and several other research experiences that get me to about a year and a half of total experience and I have a 3.9... but my GRE score was no higher than 150 in both categories. Both times taking it I got around that score, except for a 4.5 analytical. I’m scared my GRE score may have ruined things. 

14 hours ago, Neuropsycher said:

Posting this here too, because I think I may have previously posted under the wrong convo..lol: 

Does anyone know of neuroscience programs that have deadlines that haven’t passed yet? I applied to all of my schools and am still trusting, but I am getting a little discouraged. I have internship experience from WashU and several other research experiences that get me to about a year and a half of total experience and I have a 3.9... but my GRE score was no higher than 150 in both categories. Both times taking it I got around that score, except for a 4.5 analytical. I’m scared my GRE score may have ruined things. 

I imagine this isn't an exhaustive list, as it is just from personal knowledge, but I know the following schools' neuroscience programs' app deadlines haven't passed yet:

Baylor College of Medicine: Jan 1st

UTHealth Houston: Jan 4th

UTHSCSA: March 15th (Jan 1st - priority)

VCU: Feb 1st

Good luck! I've been wondering the same thing.