2018 Neuroscience PhD Applicants and Admission Results

eevee

20 hours ago, Maysam said:

Hello! Any one here applied to UT dallas , UNT HSC , MD Anderson Huston or Texas A & M ?? Neuroscience phd f18?

Still no updates :( 

NO interview invitation yet!!

I had an interview with Texas A&M's neuroscience program early in January. I have yet to hear a decision on my application.

21 hours ago, Maysam said:

Hello! Any one here applied to UT dallas , UNT HSC , MD Anderson Huston or Texas A & M ?? Neuroscience phd f18?

Still no updates :( 

NO interview invitation yet!!

I got an interview with MD Anderson. They have interviews through March, so I don't know if they're done with invites yet.

1 hour ago, Anonst said:

I had an interview with Texas A&M's neuroscience program early in January. I have yet to hear a decision on my application.

congrats ... good luck :) thx for reply

On 2/3/2018 at 10:37 AM, nancypants said:

Hello! Was anyone here at the UCI interview weekend? If so, do you know if they send out acceptances in waves? 

I was. I have not heard anything. I see that they're calling, so maybe it's taking a while and/or they didn't work over the weekend. Let me know if you hear anything though!

Has anyone who interviewed with U-M PIBS through the neuro program heard anything yet?

I know people who interviewed with other departments have heard, but I haven't heard anything from anyone who interviewed through neuro. Starting to get worried, although I know they have until Friday to get back to us and according to previous years people still received acceptances around that time. 

3 hours ago, synapticcat said:

Has anyone who interviewed with U-M PIBS through the neuro program heard anything yet?

I know people who interviewed with other departments have heard, but I haven't heard anything from anyone who interviewed through neuro. Starting to get worried, although I know they have until Friday to get back to us and according to previous years people still received acceptances around that time. 

I interviewed this past weekend for PIBS Neuro, and I definitely have a ton of anxiety about waiting. No one has heard for Neuro. 

16 minutes ago, seeaseeoh3 said:

I interviewed this past weekend for PIBS Neuro, and I definitely have a ton of anxiety about waiting. No one has heard for Neuro. 

Oh, thank god haha. I've been shitting bricks I'm so nervous. I mean, not thank god that you're nervous of course! But at least it's no bad news for any of us yet :)

33 minutes ago, seeaseeoh3 said:

Do you think UM PIBS neuro is done with sending out interview invitations? I haven't still heard anything from there...

Thanks for your answer! 

HI everyone!

Glad that I found this thread. I got interviewed at Florida State University on 1/26 and at the University of Cincinnati on 2/1. Haven't heard from either yet.

I have been rejected from the University of Minnesota (without an interview).

I still haven't heard anything from the University of Michigan, though. I applied directly to the NGP (not through the PIBS),   and have seen people post interviews and rejections on the results page. Do they do multiple rounds of interviews? Or should I just wait for my rejection letter at this point? 

Good luck to all!

15 minutes ago, JustHopefulMe said:

HI everyone!

Glad that I found this thread. I got interviewed at Florida State University on 1/26 and at the University of Cincinnati on 2/1. Haven't heard from either yet.

I still haven't heard anything from the University of Michigan, though. I applied directly to the NGP (not through the PIBS),   and have seen people post interviews and rejections on the results page. Do they do multiple rounds of interviews? Or should I just wait for my rejection letter at this point? 

Good luck to all!

Hey! Congrats on your interviews - I don't know much about FSU, but Cinci is a fantastic school and I know a current neuro grad there (formerly in the neuro dept with me at my undergrad institution) and she is very happy!

Per your questions about UMich, I am fairly confident that their interview weekend is in March according to my PI, but do not know if they've sent out invites yet - pretty sure it's only one weekend though. Sometimes on the results page I can't tell if people who selected "4-year Neuroscience" mean the NGP, or PIBS, because there's also a "4-year Neuroscience (PIBS)" one. It looks like a few people received rejections - so maybe they're still deliberating? On the other hand, I can't find a straight NGP interview reported, they all say PIBS as far as I can tell. I know they only just notified accepted students who applied through PIBS, because I just found out yesterday. I would say maybe reach out to the department and ask what's up?

Edited by synapticcat

1 hour ago, JustHopefulMe said:

HI everyone!

Good luck to all!

Idk if this helps at all but I got an interview offer on December 14 to University of Michigan NGP direct and the interview weekend is Thurs March 8 - Sun March 11

On 2/8/2018 at 10:19 PM, synapticcat said:

Hey! Congrats on your interviews - I don't know much about FSU, but Cinci is a fantastic school and I know a current neuro grad there (formerly in the neuro dept with me at my undergrad institution) and she is very happy!

Per your questions about UMich, I am fairly confident that their interview weekend is in March according to my PI, but do not know if they've sent out invites yet - pretty sure it's only one weekend though. Sometimes on the results page I can't tell if people who selected "4-year Neuroscience" mean the NGP, or PIBS, because there's also a "4-year Neuroscience (PIBS)" one. It looks like a few people received rejections - so maybe they're still deliberating? On the other hand, I can't find a straight NGP interview reported, they all say PIBS as far as I can tell. I know they only just notified accepted students who applied through PIBS, because I just found out yesterday. I would say maybe reach out to the department and ask what's up?

Thanks for your reply! I really hope they are still deliberating as you said and that I would get an invitation soon. UMich is one of my top choices and would love to hear a positive reply from them. As for Cincinnati, I loved it too! The facilities are really fancy compared to my current institution and the people were very nice. I hope my interviews went well over there.

On 2/8/2018 at 11:34 PM, jasbee said:

Idk if this helps at all but I got an interview offer on December 14 to University of Michigan NGP direct and the interview weekend is Thurs March 8 - Sun March 11

Thanks for the info and congratulations on receiving the invitation! I hope everything turns out well with you. I think I will stay hopeful since I haven't received a rejection yet and there still is a month until the interview weekend? 

On another note, I heard that it is good etiquette to send a "thank you" e-mail to those who interviewed you. I didn't know that was a thing (oops! :blink:)

Do you think it would be a good idea to send one now (a week after the interview) or should I just forget about it?

11 hours ago, JustHopefulMe said:

On another note, I heard that it is good etiquette to send a "thank you" e-mail to those who interviewed you. I didn't know that was a thing (oops! :blink:)

Do you think it would be a good idea to send one now (a week after the interview) or should I just forget about it?

A week isn't too bad. I forgot to as well and did it like a week and a half later. Only email those with whom you felt you had a great conversation or who you really liked.

59 minutes ago, BabyScientist said:

A week isn't too bad. I forgot to as well and did it like a week and a half later. Only email those with whom you felt you had a great conversation or who you really liked.

Thanks! Glad to know that I'm not alone :)

Slightly off topic, but I had a quick question.

After receiving an offer at one school, I got a nice email from a faculty member I interviewed with congratulating me on my acceptance and asking if I had any questions/saying that he hopes I give their school serious consideration, etc. If a faculty member signs their email with their first name, should I address them as such in the response? I always feel weird calling PIs by their first name in communications unless I know them personally. 

If it matters, I am going to be accepting an offer at this school, but am still waiting for the official offer of admittance to go through on my online portal so I can accept, and am talking things over with my family and current PI so that everyone's on board with my decision.