2018 Neuroscience PhD Applicants and Admission Results

eevee

6 minutes ago, synapticcat said:

Slightly off topic, but I had a quick question.

After receiving an offer at one school, I got a nice email from a faculty member I interviewed with congratulating me on my acceptance and asking if I had any questions/saying that he hopes I give their school serious consideration, etc. If a faculty member signs their email with their first name, should I address them as such in the response? I always feel weird calling PIs by their first name in communications unless I know them personally. 

If it matters, I am going to be accepting an offer at this school, but am still waiting for the official offer of admittance to go through on my online portal so I can accept, and am talking things over with my family and current PI so that everyone's on board with my decision. 

Typically, I address them the same way they signed the email. If they always put "Dr." or just their initials, I will keep up with the formality. (I'm not sure about whether just initials is the least formal, but it seems confusing to me.)

3 minutes ago, th3redrabbit said:

Typically, I address them the same way they signed the email. If they always put "Dr." or just their initials, I will keep up with the formality. (I'm not sure about whether just initials is the least formal, but it seems confusing to me.)

Okay, that's what I was thinking about doing, too. Thanks! 

Typically I address the PI as Dr. X, even if he or she signs off with their first name. If they say something along the lines of “please just call me X” then I’ll switch, but I feel it’s always best to be a bit more formal in emails than to be less and risk coming across as rude. 

8 hours ago, synapticcat said:

Slightly off topic, but I had a quick question.

After receiving an offer at one school, I got a nice email from a faculty member I interviewed with congratulating me on my acceptance and asking if I had any questions/saying that he hopes I give their school serious consideration, etc. If a faculty member signs their email with their first name, should I address them as such in the response? I always feel weird calling PIs by their first name in communications unless I know them personally. 

If it matters, I am going to be accepting an offer at this school, but am still waiting for the official offer of admittance to go through on my online portal so I can accept, and am talking things over with my family and current PI so that everyone's on board with my decision. 

I've always taken a professor signing as their first name as a sign that they are okay being addressed like that.  No need to always refer to them as Dr. X.  It took me a year after undergrad to get used to this since almost all professors I've interacted with as a technician were totally cool being addressed by their first names.  These individuals will be your mentors/advisors/teachers, but they are also your colleagues!

Edited by StemCellFan

@seeaseeoh3 how long did it take for you to hear back from Vanderbilt IGP? I'm waiting on NGP and its been like 2.5 weeks (which isn't that long I know) and no one has posted on here either way yet. Other applicants heard that NGP was shooting for a class of 6 and only going to make 8 offers to people out of the 28 interviewed so I'm not super hopeful but I just want to know.

Also if anyone else has heard from NGP it would be awesome if you could let me know - I'm struggling to not constantly refresh my email.  

3 minutes ago, jasbee said:

@seeaseeoh3 how long did it take for you to hear back from Vanderbilt IGP? I'm waiting on NGP and its been like 2.5 weeks (which isn't that long I know) and no one has posted on here either way yet. Other applicants heard that NGP was shooting for a class of 6 and only going to make 8 offers to people out of the 28 interviewed so I'm not super hopeful but I just want to know.

Also if anyone else has heard from NGP it would be awesome if you could let me know - I'm struggling to not constantly refresh my email.  

I interviewed the first weekend, and was accepted the following week. Its very different than going through Neuro itself. Be hopeful! Don't worry about it too much.

1 hour ago, synapticcat said:

Oh, whoops! My bad. Hope you get an interview! :D

Thanks! so I've heard back from the ones I got invites for early dec and early jan - and haven't heard back from the remaining about invites (got a few rejection emails w/o interview). But for like the ones that seem to have entered a black hole, is it kosher to call the admissions office to ask the status of your app?

I feel like I need closure but am I just being stupid?! haha

Has anyone recently heard from Rochester, Emory, UNC Chapel Hill, Boston University, or Albert Einstein college of medicine?

None of them sent invites for interview or sent rejections to me. Rochester said they were going to send the second batch, but that was almost a month ago.

33 minutes ago, neuro1 said:

Thanks! so I've heard back from the ones I got invites for early dec and early jan - and haven't heard back from the remaining about invites (got a few rejection emails w/o interview). But for like the ones that seem to have entered a black hole, is it kosher to call the admissions office to ask the status of your app?

I feel like I need closure but am I just being stupid?! haha

I know how you feel! I never heard back from UC-Denver....haha. I know the interviews have already happened/are happening because I met others on the interview trail who were going there, but am kinda miffed I was never officially rejected. 

I'm not sure about calling, but I know others have emailed inquiring about their status. They usually end up receiving an "all interview invites have gone out" or "program expects to extend all interview offers by X date" kinda response, so at least you know for sure. So..I would recommend trying that, maybe? However, I haven't called or emailed about my app status anywhere so maybe someone else has better advice! 

2 hours ago, Brad Gamble said:

Has anyone recently heard from Rochester, Emory, UNC Chapel Hill, Boston University, or Albert Einstein college of medicine?

None of them sent invites for interview or sent rejections to me. Rochester said they were going to send the second batch, but that was almost a month ago.

Received a rejection email from UNC on Jan 30th. Not sure about the others. I've met a couple people on the interview trail who were interviewing at Emory, though. Good luck!!!

10 hours ago, Brad Gamble said:

I heard back from Albert Einstein early Jan, and interviewed last week but i'm not sure if all invites are done being sent out (i'm pretty certain they have 2-3 more interview weekends) we were the second.

Still havent heard anything from Boston U. I am waiting myself. 

1 hour ago, neuro1 said:

I heard back from Albert Einstein early Jan, and interviewed last week but i'm not sure if all invites are done being sent out (i'm pretty certain they have 2-3 more interview weekends) we were the second.

Still havent heard anything from Boston U. I am waiting myself. 

Pretty sure Boston U has passed

11 hours ago, Brad Gamble said:

Also, I emailed Emory Feb 2nd and they never got back! so i'm guessing I should take that as them being done.

Edited by neuro1

38 minutes ago, Bouton said:

Apparently there is a very small internal waitlist for Emory.  

Emory interviews were super chill.  If anyone has an interview there at the end of Feb, don't sweat. 

post-interview waitlist?

Dont' know if they're done sending interview invites 

Hello folks! It's me again. I know I have asked about the Neuroscience and Cognitive Science program of University of Maryland before, and someone has kindly replied that they were having their Open House in 8-9 February. As a matter of fact, I knew about the date of the Open House. I am asking about Maryland, because I find the entire application & admissions process a bit weird. Let me briefly tell you what happened so far: I have read in the Results section of this forum that several people received emails with instructions to check the portal and then they saw rejection messages. (This was around January 20-25.) I hadn't received an email, but after seeing those posts in the forum, I logged in to the application portal to check my status - and it said "Submitted. Under departmental/program review." Then I waited for about one week - and still got no notification whatsoever. So I contacted the department via the contact form on their website to ask whether all interview invitations had been sent out. I got a reply from the department secretary confirming that my application was (STILL!) under review, and she told me that she was hoping to "get back to me this week." This was around two weeks ago. 

I still have nothing. My application status is the same on the application portal - under review.

Since I got no interview requests, I am inclined to believe that it is very unlikely that I will get a positive response at the end. But at the same time I cannot understand why there is this delay. 

Is there anyone else who is in the same situation? 

Also, if anyone has been rejected by this program, could they perhaps give us the initials of their POIs?

Thanks!

Edited by Dark Chocolate Mocha