Let’s just TALK about it...

LolJustAdmitMe

I know a lot of people talking about hating writing their SOP, but that was the only part of the process I liked.

My undergrad was at a liberal arts institution where writing reflexive papers about your perspective were required throughout your career.

Talk about yourself for 1000 words? Solid.

During one of my interviews, a couple of the current grad students mentioned having read my SOP...that was a horrifying moment. Trying to remember what i put in it as the damn thing went through so many iterations and different schools got very different versions. I also DESPISE talking about myself, so knowing that "my peers" had this other knowledge about me was SO UNCOMFORTABLE. I've been rereading my SOP for hours trying to pick apart how embarrassing it sounds (catastrophizing and ruminating are my specialties)

@surprise_quiche I didn't hate it per se, but I had a lot of trouble figuring out how to balance talking about my background with talking about my goals. Multiple people who I asked to review my statement this time (after not getting in anywhere last year) told me it sounded too much like a recap of my MA! This time, I basically didn't talk about my MA research at all, after getting feedback from multiple people...

Edited by deshypothequiez

@Archaeodan I relentlessly picked apart my SOP through the process. But what I felt afterwards was a kind of peace, like a clarification of the important things in my life and the goals I have.

@deshypothequiez  It was a challenge to maintain that balance. I love telling narratives which reflect my personality, so getting all the nitty gritty details and maintaining an academic tone I think helped me improve the way I market myself.

1 hour ago, grubyczarnykot said:

Yeah exactly. I’m going insane omg 

like we’re at the point where I am just scanning grad cafe for random forums i can post about nothing on ??

Is it too late to say me too? Because me too.

I've been wondering if there would be any interest in starting a new thread about what time acceptances come through. I don't know why, but I feel like it would be super interesting to see if any trends emerge or if it's truly all over the place.

@surprise_quiche I think the weakness in my last SOP was that my proposed PhD work is quite a departure from what I did in my MA. To me, there's a logic that connects the two, but that logic isn't super obvious to someone who doesn't know me.

Specifically, my MA thesis was much more aligned with Performance Studies, which was not the field I was applying to, so multiple people advised me not to mention it, or at least not to focus on it. One of my POIs warned me that I'd have to justify why I'm applying to Communication and not Performance. Especially for programs that had a stricter page limit, I felt that I didn't have space to waste on explaining the change in course, so I just decided to jump straight into my proposed research project instead.

We'll see how that decision pays off... So far, I have an interview this time which is more than I got last time!

I'm literally losing my mind. I cannot stop checking my e-mail. then grad portals. then grad cafe. repeat all day. I was doing so well at being balanced, but I just caved in and don't want to stop until I receive some sort of notification D: 

I also now really hate weekends, mourn fridays, and can't wait until monday. 

Anyone feeling the stir crazy?

The anthropology departments are pure torture, since they send out notifications for different sub-disciplines at different times. Apparently, they like to save biological anthropology for last. 

11 minutes ago, phyanth said:

I also now really hate weekends, mourn fridays, and can't wait until monday. 

Haha! I actually love the weekends because they give me a reprieve from freaking out, since I know I'm not missing anything.

I am going crazy about waiting as well. For 7 out of 9 applications need interviews, but I got none. So I kinda know how many rejections letters will come on my way.

Then the other two applications that don't need an interview, will come out around mid-Februray, according to results from previous years. Everyday in this month is a torture. 

I am really afraid of seeing rejections coming, especially from these last two hopes. Life is so hard. 

Have anyone dreamed about rejection/acceptance and it turned out to be true for real? 

I dreamed about reading rejection letters from Pittsburgh and Emory, and in the end I do not get an interview for real. 

3 minutes ago, haohaohao said:

Have anyone dreamed about rejection/acceptance and it turned out to be true for real? 

I dreamed about reading rejection letters from Pittsburgh and Emory, and in the end I do not get an interview for real. 

I've definitely dreamed about getting into a program only to be rejected!

5 minutes ago, ButWhy said:

I just received an email from a university I already knew I am accepted to with the title "congratulations!!!".

I thought it was another university.

I am beyond anger.

good username

2 hours ago, haohaohao said:

The night that I submitted two of my applications, I had a horrible nightmare that I sent the Hopkins personal statement to Harvard and the Harvard personal statement to Hopkins! It felt so real!! ??

1 hour ago, officialcranberries said:

I've had daydreams for months of getting into my top choice and only nightmares of getting rejected<_<

I am the opposite. I am aware of the fear of rejection day after day, but I dreamed three times about the acceptance from my top choice. It was so real...! One day, I was like burst into tears when I woke up, and thought "I'd prefer to dream about rejections so I can be more prepared when it really happens"....

Still waiting for the result. Sigh...

1 hour ago, 00ber said:

The night that I submitted two of my applications, I had a horrible nightmare that I sent the Hopkins personal statement to Harvard and the Harvard personal statement to Hopkins! It felt so real!! ??

WOW your dream sounds so real! I am sure you did not make such mistakes. But I really wonder if any of my recommenders made such mistakes and messed up my chance....

56 minutes ago, LookingforMM said:

Last week I had a dream that I was on campus for a program that rejected me...while I was there in person!

Then this week I got the rejection in reality.

I dreamed about two rejections in each year when I applied my Masters in 2011 and 2012, each time "successfully" predicted the real result! 

I am sorry about your rejection this week. Waiting it out is such a painful process, so I try to find ways to better prepare myself for the upcoming results...dreams, is finitely a good indicator...