Let’s just TALK about it...

LolJustAdmitMe

7 hours ago, Saturate said:

What's the general idea on colleges sending all acceptance emails out at the same time? I see people from here have already been accepted to the course I applied to at ETH Zurich, but I've yet to hear. My application was in on literally the last day possible so from that I reckon I'd hear after most people, but then each of the 3/4 people who've reported to here that they got accepted all received their emails on the same day.

I know it's hard to know, but the wait is killing me.

Unfortunately, this varies so much it's virtually impossible to say. Some departments will send them out all at once; others will 'stagger' them by subfield; still others will send out a wave of offers to their first tier of applicants, follow with a second, and so on. This can also change, within the same school, from year to year.

The way this uncertainty--over how different universities notify applicants of admissions decisions--plays out on GradCafe has made me want to start trending the hashtag #maybetheyrestaggering :P

Edited by ArcierePrudente

So I had an interview - and I think I did not say anything that made sense. I was so excited (and starstruck lol) that I could not make a coherent sentence about my research interest as my brain was just going (OMG OMG OMG OMG LOOK WHO YOU ARE TALKING TO OMG). I even ended up throwing coffee on myself as my energy levels were out of control :') I feel like an absolute idiot and failure and have been feeling super down today and yesterday.

12 hours ago, Psygeek said:

So I had an interview - and I think I did not say anything that made sense. I was so excited (and starstruck lol) that I could not make a coherent sentence about my research interest as my brain was just going (OMG OMG OMG OMG LOOK WHO YOU ARE TALKING TO OMG). I even ended up throwing coffee on myself as my energy levels were out of control :') I feel like an absolute idiot and failure and have been feeling super down today and yesterday.

I know it probably feels incredibly nerve-wracking for you right now, but keep in mind that admissions committees expect nervousness - they've interviewed a lot of people over the years! They might have interpreted your nervousness/excitement as passion for the program and for the field, which is a really positive thing. You never truly know what they're looking for or what they're thinking, so don't let it get to you too much. I had a relatively similar experience with stuttering, rambling, not making sense, etc. except it was over the phone, and I ended up getting invited for the in-person interview for that program. It's not over 'til it's over. Hang in there :) If you feel like there were things from the interview that you could clarify, definitely send them an email like "I've given abc more thought, and wanted to follow up to say xyz" or something similar, and don't forget to thank them for interviewing you.

Thank you for just saying it's ok to not be patient, to worry all day, and have a place to put it.

This is my second time applying for programs over a 3 year year window. I have 2 rejects, 1 waitlist, and 2 still no response.

I am FREAKING OUT! I want this so so so badly.

10 hours ago, pataka said:

I know it probably feels incredibly nerve-wracking for you right now, but keep in mind that admissions committees expect nervousness - they've interviewed a lot of people over the years! They might have interpreted your nervousness/excitement as passion for the program and for the field, which is a really positive thing. You never truly know what they're looking for or what they're thinking, so don't let it get to you too much. I had a relatively similar experience with stuttering, rambling, not making sense, etc. except it was over the phone, and I ended up getting invited for the in-person interview for that program. It's not over 'til it's over. Hang in there :) If you feel like there were things from the interview that you could clarify, definitely send them an email like "I've given abc more thought, and wanted to follow up to say xyz" or something similar, and don't forget to thank them for interviewing you.

In hindsight, I could have done a lot better - but I did show I KNEW stuff and that my thought process sorta makes sense. Like I explained the rationale behind my thesis and there was like a good non-verbal expression on that :') So hoping for the best - I still have one person (maybe two) to talk with - so now I can redeem myself. 

I'm extremely nervous about the process...this is my first time applying for graduate school.  I'm "playing it safe" a bit and just applying for masters programs instead of trying to go straight for the PhD as many of my classmates are doing, but still feeling very insecure about my chances.  At 33, I am a non-traditional student this time around.  I am on track to graduate summa cum laude with my second bachelors in May (3.93 overall, 3.94 major) but my first college's GPA in 2006 was only a 2.74.  My GRE scores are not quite where I wanted them (V: 166 Q: 153 W: 4.5) and I didn't get accepted to join the faculty research team I applied for at my current school, so my only research experiences are from coursework. I'm also a bit restricted in how far away I can go for school currently.  Points in my favor, potentially: I've been working for the past five years in a job that's somewhat relevant to my field, I'm an officer in Psi Chi, and feel confident in my recommendation letters.  

I knew this whole applying to grad school process would be burdensome, but I guess I've been really stressed out lately since it's already mid-February... I already received three rejections, two interviews, one waitlisted, and two pending. It's really frustrating because I haven't told anyone that I already received three rejections... still holding out hope that I could receive any good news soon. like very soon...

This is the most stressful thing I've ever done in my life. I'm grateful to have made it through the application process, but the waiting is terrible. I'm stressed. I got a variety of waitlisted, interviews then denials, straight out denials from programs and three programs left to hear from. I'm so tired. I don't have a back up plan at all. Let's see how the next few weeks go. It's an up and down roller coaster that's for sure. 

This is my first round of applying to PhD programs (Microbiology) and I was not sure what to expect. This year I have learned several things I should have done but didn't know until my applications were already in. I should have emailed the professors I was interested in individually and asked questions regarding funding. I applied to my dream programs this year, knowing I wouldn't get into most, if any of them. I've received five rejections, with no interviews so far and am waiting to hear from three more universities. Two of those universities (Harvard and Emory) are dream programs and I doubt I will even get an interview, but I am still hoping to get an interview at Kansas State University. One thing I know I'm lacking, now that I have looked at job postings, is more experience in molecular techniques. We get some exposure to gel electrophoresis, ELISA and PCR at Angelo State University, but I would like to say I have more experience than a single lab for each in Cell Biology. I've started looking into research assistant and microbiologist jobs, since it looks like I will have a gap year. Good luck to everyone still stressing out!

Waiting itself is really a torture. Actually it is my second time to apply for a graduate program, and it is really painful for me to have similar experience TWICE...

I have received a rejection till now and for other ten programs, the status still remains to be awaiting decision. No news. Sometimes I would feel that it is even better for me to be rejected earlier so that I do not have to wait for such a long time, with hope and fear. 

Wish everyone here would receive a ideal result. 

16 hours ago, Cypereae said:

Sometimes I would feel that it is even better for me to be rejected earlier so that I do not have to wait for such a long time, with hope and fear. 

I feel the same way! Instead of the endless waiting, just tell me already! I don't care if I'm in or not, I just don't want to be in limbo any longer. 

17 hours ago, Bacteria_Guy_95 said:

This year I have learned several things I should have done but didn't know until my applications were already in. I should have emailed the professors I was interested in individually and asked questions regarding funding.

So I'm not sure how it works in Microbiology because I assume lab rotations are more common in that field of biology than mine (ecology and evolution) but I know that contacting professors whose labs I wanted to join was absolutely what made my applications successful.

I know this because several of my applications required me to have previously contacted a professor who I was interested on working with and confirmed that they would potentially want to work with me. Some of my applications explicitly stated that I had to have sponsor in the department for my application. So I know it's probably a little late now, but maybe do some digging to see if there are similar expectations for contacting faculty in Microbiology before applying again. Though I do hope that something still works out for you this go-round!

Even if it's not common in your field to reach out to professors beforehand, it wouldn't hurt to, because like you said funding is very important and that can dictate whether they can take on another student that next year.

I honestly didn't expect this waiting game to be as profoundly frustrating as it has been. Shortly after I submitted my applications, I got promoted into a new position that I currently enjoy. With such a strong Plan B, I figured I'd avoid a lot of the anxiety that comes with this waiting game...

Nope. The uncertainty is starting to eat me alive. Only 2 of my programs have required interviews, and I found out about them in early January. The interviews aren't until March. At the time, I felt pretty good about my chances in the remaining programs. Since then, I've heard back from exactly 0 of those outstanding, non-interview programs. I've sat in limbo, watching each week pass, watching acceptances AND rejections show up on the results pages for most of the programs, hearing absolutely nothing. Every week that passes comes with lower odds of admission, so with each passing week my anxiety, disappointment, and frustration builds and builds. It gets harder and harder to keep my plans hidden from my managers at work. I'm stuck in this awful pit of uncertainty, now I've begun to stress about my interviews because I'm forced to face the music that the radio silence likely means I'm not a top candidate for ANY of my other programs.

It's truly borderline cruel that these programs shroud their admissions with such mystery. I had to ask current grad students to figure out if my programs even HAD interviews, because the websites were so cryptic about the process. There's absolutely nothing out there about when we can typically expect to hear, or HOW we can expect to hear. Nothing on any of my portals to suggest where my application is in the process. Am I waitlisted? Will they notify me if I am or wait until they have a formal decision? Who knows, the websites/portals certainly don't answer any of those questions...

On 2/16/2018 at 8:40 PM, pataka said:

On 2/16/2018 at 8:30 AM, Psygeek said:

Lol, the same thing happened to me, the interviewer just asked a question and I just went blank... like even though I knew the answer I just couldn't get the hang of it... and the funny thing is the interview was supposed to be 30mins but since I was such a dumbass I think I f'd it up... and now I'm just waiting and waiting for their reply :(

52 minutes ago, PsychedSloth said:

Is it uncommon for people to get accepted to Master's programs without being interviewed? 

I would think a lot of Master's programs don't really do formal interviews as a part of the admissions process based off my experience. My partner (English) and I (Biology) did not interview formally for our acceptances into our master's programs. I did however have to find an advisor who wanted to take me on in their lab.

5 minutes ago, FishNerd said:

I would think a lot of Master's programs don't really do formal interviews as a part of the admissions process based off my experience. My partner (English) and I (Biology) did not interview formally for our acceptances into our master's programs. I did however have to find an advisor who wanted to take me on in their lab.

Thanks for the response! My top choice program (Psychology - Behavioral & Cognitive Neuroscience) sent out interviews and my inbox is empty. They traditionally release decisions mid-late March.

@PsychedSloth You're welcome! Hmmm if your top choice program does interview then maybe it would be a bit odd to be accepted, but I have also heard of schools only interviewing some applicants that end up being accepted and not all. However, if you have a professor who has basically agreed to take you on in their lab previously (if that is something that is done in Psychology?), formal interviews may not be necessary for acceptance. I hope it turns out well for you!

5 hours ago, Missannon said:

Lol, the same thing happened to me, the interviewer just asked a question and I just went blank... like even though I knew the answer I just couldn't get the hang of it... and the funny thing is the interview was supposed to be 30mins but since I was such a dumbass I think I f'd it up... and now I'm just waiting and waiting for their reply :(

I somehow managed to have another interview with the same school tonight - with a different prof (that the original one arranged this) - so I assume that even though I was blank I may just have said some things that made sense :')