Let’s just TALK about it...

LolJustAdmitMe

Hello:

I'm usually a silent reader, but I've found that discover gradcafe has helped immensely with the anxiety of waiting to hear back from schools. I applied to Rutgers, NYU, Columbia, and USC. I want to get my PhD in Social Welfare and my research interest is Intimate Partner Violence and homelessness as it pertains to women of color. I have never worked this hard in my life for anything, truly I have invested years in this work, and it is only in the past two years that I've realized how much more impactful I could be to serving this community by investing in research that could potentially change how we are addressing trauma in shelter settings, and looking at more holistic ways of healing in order to fully address the impact of IPV. It's literally the only thing I think about. Anyways, I'm babbling. I'm supposed to hear back from USC in the next few days. It has been extremely difficult being patient and waiting, and my friends are definitely tired of hearing me talk about this. Thanks for giving me space. 

Haven't heard anything since submitted applications. Pulling my hair everyday while checking emails with a belief that more times of refreshing can make it a quicker reply... I think I'll be bold in a few days if still not receiving any update. 

I love how there are programs that I applied to back in November and I have not heard a single thing...however I have heard back from nearly every program I applied to in late January/early February. At this point, I wish I'd just get some rejections instead of not knowing haha.

I sent my PI a thank you email after the interview. He emailed me back, said thank you for the note, and told me he'll contact me next week. Jesus! I hope this is a good sign. This is my first choice school and the tension is seriously killing me. 

13 hours ago, feed.the.beat said:

Hello good man! 

Can you please enlighten me with the link to this stats?

Reward = This >>> Cookie <<< 

Look for "gradcafe" or similar keywords on Google Trends - that's where I copied the stats from. You can also compare keywords like "desperation" and see if there is a correlation.

4 hours ago, Ultrahochvakuumkammer said:

Look for "gradcafe" or similar keywords on Google Trends - that's where I copied the stats from. You can also compare keywords like "desperation" and see if there is a correlation.

Hey, this is great. Thanks!!!

Here I found the word "WaitList" follows a similar pattern but with a certain delay.

Trends101.jpg

On 2/21/2018 at 9:15 AM, always_mlove said:

Hello:

I'm usually a silent reader, but I've found that discover gradcafe has helped immensely with the anxiety of waiting to hear back from schools. I applied to Rutgers, NYU, Columbia, and USC. I want to get my PhD in Social Welfare and my research interest is Intimate Partner Violence and homelessness as it pertains to women of color. I have never worked this hard in my life for anything, truly I have invested years in this work, and it is only in the past two years that I've realized how much more impactful I could be to serving this community by investing in research that could potentially change how we are addressing trauma in shelter settings, and looking at more holistic ways of healing in order to fully address the impact of IPV. It's literally the only thing I think about. Anyways, I'm babbling. I'm supposed to hear back from USC in the next few days. It has been extremely difficult being patient and waiting, and my friends are definitely tired of hearing me talk about this. Thanks for giving me space. 

I definetly know what you mean when it comes to friends being tired of hearing you talk about it. I feel like I have talked about nothing but the grad process since the beginning of September. (lol). My other friend who are applying to grad school seem to do it so quietly and Im literally refreshing the status of each application on a daily basis, even the ones that have turned out to be rejections. I guess I like torturing myself.  Patience is hard, especially when you have such a noble cause. Any good luck! 

Edited by Oklash

Yea...I'm almost sure this is gonna be another year of shutouts. It's almost March. I was waitlisted at 2 schools for interview spots. At this rate, I'm sure this has been another bust. I got further than last year but I'm still hurt something I want so badly, just won't work out. If I hadn't already started into adulthood and working, this would be 10x worse.

Got two rejections in 24 hours. I used to think I am a decent competitive applicant. Obviously, it's NOT the truth so far. SOOOOOOOO sad now.

I know I SHOULD appreciate it since I've got at least one decent admission with generous funding. But I'm still upset since it is still the only positive result I've got this cycle. I just can't help feeling so bad about myself.

This may be sound crazy but even though I got accepted into a program that I will definitely be accepting, the rejection letters I’m still getting still kind of sting a little. ?

I think I'm actually starting to lose my mind. I had two interviews this week, and for one of them we were told we would hear back within 3-5 days. Well. It's day 3 and FRIDAY so I got my hopes up that I would hear from them today, because why would they send out acceptances on the weekend?! If anyone knows anything about this please let me know! I'm not sure if they meant 3-5 business days or what... but anyway, lots of refreshing and disappointment to see nothing. My anxiety is fierce and I have no motivation to do anything else. I really want to go to this school!! 

I had lost all hope and completely forgot about PhD's. I was readty to start another kind of training and get a job next year. I was at peace in my mind.

And I just recieved an email saying that I have been waitlisted for funding in a program. Its really furstrating because I had accepted my failure and now I have hope again which might not lead to anything.

Anyone else sharing that feeling ?

I'm already planning my list of programs for Fall 2019. I have two scenarios for it, depending on whether or not I get accepted to a post-baccalaureate program instead of a graduate program. Expecting one rejection next month and four decisions in two months. 

4 hours ago, Phiphi said:

I had lost all hope and completely forgot about PhD's. I was readty to start another kind of training and get a job next year. I was at peace in my mind.

And I just recieved an email saying that I have been waitlisted for funding in a program. Its really furstrating because I had accepted my failure and now I have hope again which might not lead to anything.

Anyone else sharing that feeling ?

Me! I was like if I don't hear anything by Feb 12th I will start on my plan B (get more experience). Prof sent an email for interview on the 11th (yes weekend). Now I'm back in the emotional rollercoaster. At least assuming I was rejected lead to more peace of mind.

Update:

Got my first rejection letter from my top choice, USC, on my birthday. Happy 30th to me. It was hard. I still have to hear back from three schools, but I'm lowkey considering my other options. It has been a very draining process, my second go-around in terms of applying to school. Feeling very tired of being tired. Thanks for all the well wishes, and words of encouragement guys. 

20 hours ago, ProfONE said:

Please, does anyone know what this means"Vanier Chair"? 

If it's someone's title, it means their faculty line is funded by an endowment from someone named Vanier.

17 hours ago, Charlie Moon said:

What exactly is "open house weekend" ? Is it for admitted students only ? Is there an implied interview ?

If it doesn't specify whether it's an interview weekend or an admitted students weekend, it usually means it's an opportunity for prospective students to learn more about the program before applying.