Let’s just TALK about it...

LolJustAdmitMe

17 hours ago, Charlie Moon said:

What exactly is "open house weekend" ? Is it for admitted students only ? Is there an implied interview ?

I think it depends on the school and program. I was invited to something called an Open House (I chose to go to another interview on that day so I didn't attend though), and from what I could read about it, it seemed identical to an Interview Weekend, only for applicants, not for people already admitted. It seemed just slightly less structured than an Interview Weekend.

1 hour ago, deshypothequiez said:

If it's someone's title, it means their faculty line is funded by an endowment from someone named Vanier.

Thank you for the response. I can connect the dots now. 

23 hours ago, Charlie Moon said:

What exactly is "open house weekend" ? Is it for admitted students only ? Is there an implied interview ?

Short answer: no.

Long answer: I've received rejections after receiving mass 'open house weekend' emails and asking for clarification around the event. They're just for interested, prospective students to visit campus and get to know faculty and peers but in no way does it equate an interview. I know that's not what anyone wants to hear but...as someone who had to learn the hardway, I'm just passing it on.

I have always been an ambitious kid. Some of it had to do with the way I was brought up and the other part is that I just want to create. I have this urge to keep working on making new technologies. But I have always suffered from imposters' syndrome which led me to hardcore procrastination and perfectionist tendencies. Over the past few years, I have been fighting it and trying to come on top of it and just focusing on working. In my current school, I have exhausted all possible opportunities in my department and feel like I need a new environment to challenge me and get the creative juices rolling. My undergrad was the time I gave myself to experiment and try all sorts of things that seemed fascinating. As for my graduate school, I want to specialize and hone my skills in my area of interest and have fun because that is something I missed in my undergrad. I want to live a more balanced life where I am not working on a gazillion things at the same time just to prove myself worthy of getting the opportunities that I got. I already got rejected from my dream school. I don't think I could handle it for real if I got rejected from more schools. It's only a few days wait but I have become obsessive about it. I keep checking my email and getting distracted from work because of my anxiety. Hope I land someplace nice so I can begin on a fresh note in a different city! 

Common ad comm!! Do they even exist? You sure they're not unicorns? 1a/3r/8p......... EIGHT PENDING. Better start hearing SOMETHING, now that we are going into March! Nice to see that I'm not the only one going crazy! I second every single one of ya'll in this thread. Stay strong guys... the day shall come... All is well HAHA

I applied to 10 grad schools and I only got into 1. I was waitlisted for another and then later on pulled from the list and offered admission, no word on funding.

I just can’t help but feel like an idiot for trying so many times, only to get into 1 school. I may just be a negative Nancy but I’m kind of embarrassed to tell people or even my letters of rec providers that only one program though I was good enough :/

I’m REALLY excited about the program, great school and full funding.  But I keep thinking that maybe I’m terrible and the 1 school that accepted me just didn’t see it. They probably made a mistake 

The waiting game has been a lot of fun, however I've had my anxiety moments, especial when I didn't get an invite to an interview at my number 1 school during the 1st week of February. On top of that, I received my first rejection letter that same week. Since December 1st, have applied to 9 schools (educational leadership programs) and so far I haven't been admitted to any of them. The rejections came with no surprise because I had a 2.5 GPA in undergrad, however I was able to earn a 3.3, 3.5, and a 3.7 in previous graduate studies. I also had a successful career as a teacher/dean. But...I'm keeping hope alive because I refuse to give up on myself and the dreams I have.  I'm a firm believer that ALL things work together for the good and that ANYTHING is possible! If I don't get accepted to any schools, it is within my inner belief that this process wasn't meant to be, and I'll have to accept that. I doubt that day will come, but if it does, I believe a better opportunity will present itself, as it always does. My message to all of you, never put all eggs in one basket, apply to many schools as possible, and appreciate each ones you applied to. I wish you all the best, and hopefully the each of us will be celebrating some good news together in the coming weeks!

Schools I applied to: Harvard HGSE (pending), Michigan (waitlist), Michigan State (pending),  Purdue (rejected), Minnesota-Twin Cities (pending),  Ohio State (pending), Vanderbilt (rejected), Illinois-Urbana (rejected).

Hello! Usually I just observe but I really need some advice. I interviewed at a school over 2 weeks ago (it’ll be 3 weeks on Friday) and I still have not heard anything back. At the interview my POI said I would hear from her soon but didn’t give a definitive timeline. At the interview one of the current students said she heard back within days and another said within a couple weeks. I’m not sure when the appropriate time is to contact her for an update. Do you think I should message her or just keep waiting? This is my only hope of an admittance so I’m panicking a little. I feel like it must be a rejection since so much time has passed?! The results page has been no help. Thanks!

@psycphd  I would advise you to hold your position and wait for the school to contact you. It could be that the person who interviewed you maybe running behind in making her recommendations. In the meantime, try your very best to stay positive and know that your situation will work out for the good, as it well! @StarvedForAcceptance..your positive energy and honesty will bring you a better option than what your dream school appeared to be, I have faith in you, go for it! @Oklash, don't be embarrassed, I'm right where you are right now, but come 2/3 weeks we will be celebrating great and life changing news!

2 hours ago, Oklash said:

I applied to 10 grad schools and I only got into 1. I was waitlisted for another and then later on pulled from the list and offered admission, no word on funding.

I just can’t help but feel like an idiot for trying so many times, only to get into 1 school. I may just be a negative Nancy but I’m kind of embarrassed to tell people or even my letters of rec providers that only one program though I was good enough :/

I’m REALLY excited about the program, great school and full funding.  But I keep thinking that maybe I’m terrible and the 1 school that accepted me just didn’t see it. They probably made a mistake 

I second you. With only one acceptance so far, it's really frustrated. And I feel like my confidence has been torn gradually in this waiting game.

Though I still have three programs pending, I'm just hardly able to be as positive as I was when I applied. 

3 hours ago, realllllJulia said:

I second you. With only one acceptance so far, it's really frustrated. And I feel like my confidence has been torn gradually in this waiting game.

Though I still have three programs pending, I'm just hardly able to be as positive as I was when I applied. 

At least you guys have an acceptance! I would kill for one, especially after this being my second round of attempts.

I've heard back from three schools at this point (with good news at least!); and I'm losing my mind waiting to hear back from my top(?maybe?) choice because I'm stuck in between constantly going around and around in my head trying to decide what I'd choose between my top two programs (one of which I haven't heard back from yet) and simultaneously trying not to think about the decision because what if I decide it IS my top choice and then they don't let me in... I think I have a strong shot at it but JEEZ if this is not stressing me the heck out. 

Going nuts refreshing my email! It's been about two weeks since the interview; and they should start sending out acceptances right around now... ugh!

Question time: last Monday (so 9 days ago), my POI said in an email that he would contact me "next week." This is post-interview weekend so we've already gone through all the interview procedures and it's about time for that program to start sending out acceptances (although no one has posted acceptances on the results page for this cycle yet). Is it too early to email him back and initiate contact? If he doesn't email me by the upcoming Monday, would it be okay to reach out then? Someone just tell me to be patient!!

Managed to hold off the panic until this week, when historically the programs I applied to usually start sending out some sort of interview invite or update of any kind. I'm a mess and no news so far x-x

44 minutes ago, AllThingsWorkTogether said:

KEEP THE FAITH PEOPLE....ITS NOT OVER!

^^^^^^ Me in the morning vs me at night:

35 minutes ago, Cloudbank said:

Managed to hold off the panic until this week, when historically the programs I applied to usually start sending out some sort of interview invite or update of any kind. I'm a mess and no news so far x-x

Y'all I'm starting to think about prepping for the next round of applications. It's been ALMOST A MONTH since my last interview, with only one communication from the POI since then (which was two weeks ago) and was basically a really vague email like "we are nearing admissions decisions and will let you know soon" <_<

1 hour ago, pataka said:

Y'all I'm starting to think about prepping for the next round of applications. It's been ALMOST A MONTH since my last interview, with only one communication from the POI since then (which was two weeks ago) and was basically a really vague email like "we are nearing admissions decisions and will let you know soon" <_<

I feel you... I haven't even interviewed yet (I have two in the next 2 weeks) and the pessimist in me is already thinking about next year's application cycle. :wacko:

7 hours ago, Psygeek said:

OK so one of the grad students reached out to talk with me. This is a good sign right?

Well, I will take it quite positive. At least, it makes me feel that you will be invited to an interview/open-house/visit soon. The current students are asked to reach you and answer your questions about the program, the department, the school and the city.

I got an email from the school I applied to to check my account because I had a message. I got so excited, signed on, and it was just a message that they've received my financial aid info...