Let’s just TALK about it...

LolJustAdmitMe

I’m gonna be honest. It’s kind of frustrating to see people talk about “only” receiving one acceptance, when it’s my second round of practically getting shut out. I would appreciate any acceptance or interview that dropped into my inbox but idk...maybe it’s all about perspective and circumstances. But it’s frustrating to see and I’m 100% sure it’s all tied into my own shortcomings but yea...it almost always comes off as a humble brag haha

Feels like admissions committees should abide by the same standards they set for us.  You meet a deadline, or they won't even consider your application.  Yet they can get back to you .... whenever they feel like it.  I got an email that yes, they've received my application but have such a tremendous amount of applicants that it's going to take them a lot longer to decide.  I should know in about 10 weeks.  *!@# 

Application was due a month ago, and I submitted it on time. Realized it was for the wrong thing just today and ended up panicking, calling them to get it fixed, and cried in the bathroom at work. What a great day.

I applied to four schools and on Monday I heard back from one of them that I got waitlisted.  When I wrote my POI there he said that my app was incomplete when the committee met and it was unlikely they would accept me since their offers had been made (one of my profs was super slow submitting their letter).  Which makes me soooo extremely worried it's the same for my other three and if it is, I'll be rejected for something I had no control over!  I'm a big ball of nerves and I just want to implode with all the stress.  I'm not even happy it's the weekend because it just means two more days of waiting for results. :/

My friend gave me a chocolate bar (like one of those fancy dark chocolate bars) because she knows how stressed I've been waiting and to reassure me that I'll get into a good school. I really want to eat the chocolate bar, but I kind of want to save until I get at least one acceptance, a single acceptance letter. But then I'm worried that I'll never get to eat the chocolate bar...

On 1/15/2018 at 7:28 PM, ms123456 said:

I am a first generation college student. Neither of my parents even graduated high school. When I applied to undergrad it took 3 application tries before I got accepted to my undergrad institution. Therefore this whole process has a sore spot in my mind. 

I applied to only 4 schools. I expected a couple of out right rejections. Well at this point I have had 7 interviews, and 3 schools are flying me to see them. I’m a bit overwhelmed with this process. I work 6 days a week 60 hour weeks between two jobs. I am always worked up and having quite some trouble sleeping. While I know the interviews and meet and greets are good signs, I do not know how people do this when they have applied to 10+ schools. 

I know this may be a little late to you but there are programs to help first generation college students also low income families such as the Mcnair scholarship http://mcnair.ucsb.edu/ .

Usually other first generation college students know others so if you know of anybody that is first generation and want to help send them to the link above. It is one that I wish I knew about before it was to late

1 hour ago, ray92 said:

I know this may be a little late to you but there are programs to help first generation college students also low income families such as the Mcnair scholarship http://mcnair.ucsb.edu/ .

Usually other first generation college students know others so if you know of anybody that is first generation and want to help send them to the link above. It is one that I wish I knew about before it was to late

I wish I had known about this earlier!!! 

On 2/27/2018 at 8:41 PM, Oklash said:

I’m REALLY excited about the program, great school and full funding.  But I keep thinking that maybe I’m terrible and the 1 school that accepted me just didn’t see it. They probably made a mistake 

I will just focus on this sentence, because I have also thought about that (although I received 5/9 acceptances, there is one school that I believe has made this mistake)

No no no, the school did not make a mistake. All the staff/faculty that checked your application checked it very very carefully, believe me. They do not want, by any means, spend money on someone that will not give them money back, of course not directly. This is why they do it very carefully to be safe. 

You are good. You are suitable for this school. If you believe it, too, you will succeed.

On 3/4/2018 at 12:31 AM, ray92 said:

WOW. I wish I had known about this when I was in undergrad.......... 

I’m freaking out. I only applied to two masters programs, and haven’t heard anything from either (and one is where I’m finishing my undergrad). I have professors and friends who are grad students who keep telling me that it’s good I haven’t heard anything because rejections come out first. But it’s really disheartening that I haven’t heard anything. I want to be hopeful that my professors are being upbeat, since they’re the ones reviewing my app here (UIowa) but at the same time, I just want to hear something!! I keep checking my email, hoping I’ll see anything from UIowa or UW Madison. 

1 hour ago, Idaterocks said:

I’m freaking out. I only applied to two masters programs, and haven’t heard anything from either (and one is where I’m finishing my undergrad). I have professors and friends who are grad students who keep telling me that it’s good I haven’t heard anything because rejections come out first. But it’s really disheartening that I haven’t heard anything. I want to be hopeful that my professors are being upbeat, since they’re the ones reviewing my app here (UIowa) but at the same time, I just want to hear something!! I keep checking my email, hoping I’ll see anything from UIowa or UW Madison. 

Master's programs typically release results after PhD programs, so don't worry yet! When I applied for my Master's, I didn't receive an acceptance until mid march. :)

So tired of waiting. I have three schools left, and I just want to know.  I hope I hear back from everyone this week; it's been stressing me out to the point of dizziness/light headedness :(

6 hours ago, phyanth said:

Master's programs typically release results after PhD programs, so don't worry yet! When I applied for my Master's, I didn't receive an acceptance until mid march. :)

Thanks for the info!

I really appreciate this thread that allows us to talk about the stress rather than finding distractions....no matter what the distraction is, I am in constant panic mode. 

I applied to a Master's program at UCLA. First they stated that we will be notified mid-late February. Then updated to late Feb beginning of March. I called last week to get an update on when admissions would be sent out (since the beginning of March was rolling through and I received a terrifying email stating "thank you for applying" (just a confirmation on application status)). They informed me if would be sent out Friday or Beginning of this week. Its now the beginning of this week so in full anxiety i called again and they said mid week or at the end of this week.

I know the admissions process isn't easy, but why do they keep pushing the notification date further and further ahead. I'm dying here, someone ease my pain lol.

"Thanks for the update! We're still working through grad admissions here. We have made a few admissions offers so far, but are waiting to see how funding works out for the remainder of our candidates. I was very impressed by your application and you are on my list of potential candidates. If funding does come through, I'd like to set up a Skype meeting with you. I'll be in touch soon."

is the POI just trying to be nice, or would it be a good sign.... :'(

Edited by JetPlane_the

11 hours ago, phyanth said:

WOW. I wish I had known about this when I was in undergrad.......... 

Yeah its a sweet program. I didnt find out about until my junior year in college. I was excepted but since you have to have one summer of research I didnt do it because I was accepted into an REU program. I thought with the REU I would have better chances of getting into graduate school

22 minutes ago, JetPlane_the said:

"Thanks for the update! We're still working through grad admissions here. We have made a few admissions offers so far, but are waiting to see how funding works out for the remainder of our candidates. I was very impressed by your application and you are on my list of potential candidates. If funding does come through, I'd like to set up a Skype meeting with you. I'll be in touch soon."

is the POI just trying to be nice, or would it be a good sign.... :'(

It's a good sign! Pray funding comes through but in the meantime let him/her know you're definitely down. lol