Let’s just TALK about it...

LolJustAdmitMe

I ended up emailing my POI after he responded to my "thank you for the interview" email. I didn't ask him about a decision, but I just asked if he had any more questions or if he was still interested in a post-interview discussion (his previous email alluded to this). It was probably a bad idea, but he responded and said something like "thanks for reaching out, I'll get back to you with any follow up questions," and that was it. If he knew that he was going to 100% reject me, he would've let me know in that email, right? But if he was sure about accepting me he would've also said so in the email.... right? Can someone help me decipher this exchange? It doesn't really matter, the school school will notify all their applicants by the 15th, so I plan on waiting it out, but if I would love to hear anyone's insight.

It doesn't sound like a bad nor good e-mail. I think it just means that he doesn't have questions for you / has everything he needs for the dept to make a decision. At this point I would just wait, in the end it's just a few days :) good luck! 

12 hours ago, corbeau said:

I ended up emailing my POI after he responded to my "thank you for the interview" email. I didn't ask him about a decision, but I just asked if he had any more questions or if he was still interested in a post-interview discussion (his previous email alluded to this). It was probably a bad idea, but he responded and said something like "thanks for reaching out, I'll get back to you with any follow up questions," and that was it. If he knew that he was going to 100% reject me, he would've let me know in that email, right? But if he was sure about accepting me he would've also said so in the email.... right? Can someone help me decipher this exchange? It doesn't really matter, the school school will notify all their applicants by the 15th, so I plan on waiting it out, but if I would love to hear anyone's insight.

I read this as: Hi thank you for getting back to me (and reinstating your interest and acknowledging I took the time for you). I have not made a decision yet, but if I come up with anything I want to ask you that will help my decision I will let you know.

Thanking someone for their time is never a bad idea. It just personally reads to me as if he didn't make a decision yet - which is why he didn't tell you anything. Furthermore, even if he was 100% sure he still may not have told you as he may want to make sure there is funding first (i.e., maybe other profs have priority etc.).

16 minutes ago, warrigan said:

I have gone from "I will never get accepted anywhere" to "I will never actually hear back from anywhere."  :/  This is excruciating! 

Me too, man. Me too...

Oh my God...waiting for the two schools I've been waitlisted at is killing me. I was told offers went out but no one's even posted about either schools on the Results page. I can't tell if that means a lot of people are rejecting them or if the people accepted are waaaaay too confident to be sitting on GradCafe lmao (not a jab at us...more to them. lol). I'm praying the funded program offers an interview. PRAYING.

I caved and called my department. I was told I'll hear back either tomorrow or next week. Trying not to freak out because I've seen acceptances and waitlists, even though I am expecting a rejection. I've been pleasantly surprised once before when I expected something worse.

I have been continuously checking my emails since I had my interviews. The one time I was checking my email for something unrelated, I received an acceptance email! I am so excited! I was stressed that it was taking forever!

Applied: 2 Denver U, Nova Southeastern

Interviews: 2/2

Admitted: 1/2 Nova Southeastern

Rejected: 0/2

7 minutes ago, JetPlane_the said:

@LolJustAdmitMe I feel you... This waiting game is soooo long. When will I be put out of misery :( 

Ugh, I feel your pain. It got so unbearable toward the end, getting my last rejection was more of a relief than it was a disappointment over not getting into any programs this year.

Hang in there! There really is and end coming. Mine wasn't what I wanted, but it's all good still ?

1 hour ago, Charlie Moon said:

I feel like at that point unis that haven't contacted you AT ALL are an implied no, I don't have any hope left ^^

I came to the same conclusion yesterday. Haven't been able to sleep well coz of it.

1 hour ago, Psygeek said:

Haven't been able to sleep well coz of it.

Same. I was supposed to hear back this week and I know I could technically still hear from them tomorrow, but I'm just not hopeful anymore. 

19 hours ago, Charlie Moon said:

I feel like at that point unis that haven't contacted you AT ALL are an implied no, I don't have any hope left ^^

I also don't have any hopes left.

Was confident that I got a competitive profile since most professors whom I contacted encouraged me to apply, guess they tell that to everyone lol.

1 acceptance without funding (aka polite rejection) last year.

So far 0/4 this year, guess I should just accept it and quit this game 

20 hours ago, exvat said:

Ugh, I feel your pain. It got so unbearable toward the end, getting my last rejection was more of a relief than it was a disappointment over not getting into any programs this year.

Hang in there! There really is and end coming. Mine wasn't what I wanted, but it's all good still ?

That's exactly how I feel. Like it would be closure to atleast get a 'no'. Thank you btw and good luck next round!!

I've only applied to masters programs, all with later dates. The first two were due on Feb 1, the other 4 due on March 1. I was outright rejected from one of the Feb ones and weight-listed a week after the deadline for one of the March ones. I haven't heard anything back from the other Feb school. I'm assuming I'm rejected or maybe weight-listed at this point. I have an interview next week at my top choice with a PI that I really would love to work with. While it's a good fit and it was a very personal invitation, I'm not holding out hope that they'll like me enough to offer a position. Oddly enough I received an offer of a phone interview from my last choice from someone who I did not list as a POI. I asked my mentor and apparently PI's taking applicants that didn't specifically name them is actually a thing? He's a new lab at that institution so my mentor thinks they're just trying to pad his lab with students. I won't be accepting there if he does offer a spot. I also got an email from the director of one from March asking if I was still interested because of the late date of admission who said they'd be making decisions this week. The week passed though, no word.

Overall I don't feel great about where I stand. Which is frustrating because my mentor and the other teachers keeps complementing me and saying I'll definitely get in somewhere. Doesn't feel like that's true. I know that it's still early for these dates, but it's really hard to deal with not having something by this point when others at my school are already making plans to move to their programs after graduation and people then ask me where I'm going. I just want to be done.