Let’s just TALK about it...

LolJustAdmitMe

If I don't get any news from a university waitlisted me should I wait for the weekend to accept a offer from another school? DGS office would not work on weekend right?

8 hours ago, catsbloom said:

I can't believe so many institutions are waiting until the final countdown!

They're probably waiting for candidates with offers - so it's all about those people who make last minute decisions. I think that was the case for me - probably took someone else's spot.

11 hours ago, worried2018 said:

Just today and tomorrow left before the 15th ahhhhh* Rips hair out

At least you only have a few days left! My school said decisions will be going out until May 31! I don't know if I can wait another month and a half, but I may have no choice

I just got in off the waitlist at my top choice!!! I'm in such shock right now honestly. 

Today has been such a rollercoaster - it started with waking up to an email reply from the program director of my top choice saying she didn’t know whether or not I’d hear back from them before April 15 and that I should ask my other school for an extension. Then I drafted an email to my second choice asking for an extension but before I sent it I got a phone call from their program director offering a fellowship with more money (and then I asked him about an extension and he said they probably wouldn't grant one). Then tonight I got an email from my top choice and I honestly can't believe it. I still have to hear back from professors at my top choice (I want to make sure they actually want me in their labs still) before i can say for sure that I'm going but today was a lot. I'm defending my undergraduate thesis in the morning and have yet to look at my presentation because this has all been so much wow. 

11 hours ago, Psygeek said:

They're probably waiting for candidates with offers - so it's all about those people who make last minute decisions. I think that was the case for me - probably took someone else's spot.

This is the most likely situation; however, this is not what happened with me. Due to time constraints and potentially some funding issues my advisor did not extend an offer to anyone in the first round, and I got the offer after everything was straightened out. 

It turns out my prospective department is not reviewing applications this week due to a conference. So they're not even notifying people until AFTER April 15th. I've been compulsively checking my application portal throughout the week for nothing.