Fall 2018 Acceptances/Interviews/Rejections Thread

pinoysoc

On 2/20/2018 at 11:01 AM, fanelsoc said:

For those of you preparing for visit days--how are you managing multiple visits?

I'm currently based abroad and am debating whether I should travel to the US twice for two separate visit weekends. I'm absolutely torn over the two schools and would like to attend both, or at the very least, attend 1 and try to visit the other on a non-visit day on the same trip.

PTO aside, my out of pocket expenses would increase by about 500$ by having to visit two schools on a separate occasion, as opposed to combining them together.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Ask if you can get a reschedule or individual visit arranged for one of them. See if you can them scheduled close together so you'll only have to do one round-trip international flight and one domestic flight.  Program coordinators (in my experience) are pretty flexible and willing to work with you to make sure you can visit campus. Three of my visit days were scheduled for the same weekend, and I was able to reschedule two of them. I would assume they would be especially understanding for your situation.  Hope this helps.

Hi all! First time poster, but I've been lurking for awhile. I thought I'd add my acceptances/rejections here! 

I'm in at Notre Dame, Ohio State, and IU-Bloomington. 

Rejected from UWM, Northwestern, Minnesota, and Duke

Still waiting on UIC, but I'm not hopeful about it and I wouldn't attend. Anyways, best of luck to everyone still waiting on decisions! 

I called UPenn and Temple today because I need to tell Albany if I'm really interested in attending (I believe people with funding offers will start declining their offers soon) as soon as possible.

I didn't think I'd get into UPenn because of my ok GRE scores, but was hoping to get into Temple.

According to the nice lady who picked up the phone, Upenn has already made their decisions, but is waiting to get those offers approved by the graduate school. They are hoping to send out all the decisions somewhere between late February and mid-March. I was told to call back in a week.

Temple assured me that I have not been rejected, and told me to call back next week.

On 2/13/2018 at 9:18 PM, future_is_scary said:

Has anyone heard anything from Santa Cruz? They’re my number one and it’s been total radio silence so far. 

I still haven't heard from Santa Cruz either! It looks like there is only one acceptance from them on the board so far. 

On 2/14/2018 at 12:18 AM, future_is_scary said:

Has anyone heard anything from Santa Cruz? They’re my number one and it’s been total radio silence so far. 

8 minutes ago, Soc434 said:

I still haven't heard from Santa Cruz either! It looks like there is only one acceptance from them on the board so far. 

One of my cohort members was accepted to UC Santa Cruz earlier this month. I don't think they're done sending out acceptances, but they're having their visit day the first week of March.

6 minutes ago, soc4315 said:

One of my cohort members was accepted to UC Santa Cruz earlier this month. I don't think they're done sending out acceptances, but they're having their visit day the first week of March.

Thank you so much for the update! Guess I have to wait it out for the next week and a half :unsure:

I have received word from all my schools. I was rejected to everywhere except one school and I happy to attend there. It isn't ranked high but the faculty are great and the funding is good also, now I am just waiting to hear if I get funding! I don't want to go through this again next year! Keep your heads up everyone and congrats to everyone who has been accepted.  

5 hours ago, coffeentv said:

I called UPenn and Temple today because I need to tell Albany if I'm really interested in attending (I believe people with funding offers will start declining their offers soon) as soon as possible.

I didn't think I'd get into UPenn because of my ok GRE scores, but was hoping to get into Temple.

According to the nice lady who picked up the phone, Upenn has already made their decisions, but is waiting to get those offers approved by the graduate school. They are hoping to send out all the decisions somewhere between late February and mid-March. I was told to call back in a week.

Temple assured me that I have not been rejected, and told me to call back next week.

Did you speak to Audra Rodgers? She's the graduate coordinator (?) and I was about to e-mail her today about the status.... I'm in the same boat as you since I'm speaking to a grad director tomorrow. Once I find out about funding and ask her my 1 million questions, I'm pretty sure I'm set to make a decision since I haven't heard back from Penn State, Penn, or Vandy. I really thought Penn, Penn State, and UAB was a good fit for me... Just need to know and accept UAB if I'm didn't get into Penn & Penn State.

So... I'm assuming a mass rejected & acceptance notifications next week then huih?

11 hours ago, KevinJHa said:

I haven't been around in a while -- did you get an acceptance?!?!?

@KevinJHa yeah I did. I just haven't said anything on here since everyone is concerned about the big name schools on here so I decided to keep the news to myself. I haven't heard about funding, but going to talk to the grad director tomorrow and I have a million questions to ask about the program! Lol.

12 hours ago, Soc434 said:

Anyone have insight on UCSB's timeline? I'm waiting to hear from them, UCSC, and UCI (which seems like a definite rejection at this point). Why is this sooooo stressful?!?!

About UCSB. I received an e-mail by the beginning of January saying I was recommended for admission, however, I suppose to get more information about their funding package by the time of the campus visit on the 2nd of March (which, as an international applicant, I won't be able to attend).

I got two other offers, but UCSB remains my first choice (assuming I'll get a rejection from UCLA, which at this point seems very likely), so it's killing me that I don't know exactly how much I suppose to get from them.

17 hours ago, soc126 said:

Hi all! First time poster, but I've been lurking for awhile. I thought I'd add my acceptances/rejections here! 

I'm in at Notre Dame, Ohio State, and IU-Bloomington. 

Rejected from UWM, Northwestern, Minnesota, and Duke

Still waiting on UIC, but I'm not hopeful about it and I wouldn't attend. Anyways, best of luck to everyone still waiting on decisions! 

What are you gravitating towards? I'm going to go with Notre Dame and wondering if we're gonna be there together

11 hours ago, pinoysoc said:

Did you speak to Audra Rodgers? She's the graduate coordinator (?) and I was about to e-mail her today about the status.... I'm in the same boat as you since I'm speaking to a grad director tomorrow. Once I find out about funding and ask her my 1 million questions, I'm pretty sure I'm set to make a decision since I haven't heard back from Penn State, Penn, or Vandy. I really thought Penn, Penn State, and UAB was a good fit for me... Just need to know and accept UAB if I'm didn't get into Penn & Penn State.

So... I'm assuming a mass rejected & acceptance notifications next week then huih?

I didn't get the name of the person with whom I spoke on the phone. Why don't you contact Penn State, UPenn, and Vandy? When I called CUNY, they were nice enough to tell me that all the acceptances had been sent out. Maybe Penn State and Vandy can at least tell you when you can expect to hear from them?

Delurking here - I only recently discovered this site and it has been helpful to see notifications rolling in.

Has anyone received a rejection from Maryland or Cornell? I saw some acceptances posted on the results page awhile ago but haven't seen any rejections. The grad coordinators were appropriately vague when I called last week.

Thanks!

13 hours ago, pinoysoc said:

@KevinJHa yeah I did. I just haven't said anything on here since everyone is concerned about the big name schools on here so I decided to keep the news to myself. I haven't heard about funding, but going to talk to the grad director tomorrow and I have a million questions to ask about the program! Lol.

That's great to hear, im so happy for you!! I hope you get some good news on funding soon.

9 hours ago, socihk said:

Have anyone heard from boston U? It has been uncharacteristically silent. 

I called them yesterday -- they said they'd have decisions out in like 2-3 weeks. But I already have a friend who received an acceptance so I'm confused. Though shes an international student.

57 minutes ago, socl said:

Delurking here - I only recently discovered this site and it has been helpful to see notifications rolling in.

Has anyone received a rejection from Maryland or Cornell? I saw some acceptances posted on the results page awhile ago but haven't seen any rejections. The grad coordinators were appropriately vague when I called last week.

Thanks!

I didn't get anything from Cornell and seeing how there are no rejections posted, and last year there were announced mid-March, I just assumed the same and scratched Cornell off the list

40 minutes ago, KevinJHa said:

I called them yesterday -- they said they'd have decisions out in like 2-3 weeks. But I already have a friend who received an acceptance so I'm confused. Though shes an international student.

Really?!

I just emailed them. They said the review process is still in the final stage and will soon be completed.

When did your friend get accepted?

Edited by socihk

I'm also a lurker coming out of the shadows.

I've gotten accepted at 5: Duke, Cornell, UMaryland, UC Davis, and University of Southern California.

Still waiting to hear from UPenn and Boston U. Based on what everyone else has posted, I'm assuming we won't hear back from these for some time.